Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
clm10308
DIS Veteran

At our current school afternoon snacks and breakfast are provided free(due to a special grant for low income schools). The afternoon snack is usually fresh fruit, raw vegetables, or yogurt. Snack does not include a drink, but students are allowed to bring own water bottle. In fact the school installed new water fountains this year that included a water bottle filler.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
2girls4me
DIS Veteran

My kindergartner bring in a snack and a juice box.

DH:

DD (3):

DD (6 months):
2girls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Our elementary schools allow for snacks all the way through 5th grade.

In the lower grades you could bring in juice, but in the upper elementary, it's only a peanut-free healthy snack. But you are allowed a water bottle. I think mine just drinks out of the fountain, though. Not a huge deal in our house.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #34
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

My DD had snack time in elementary school but the kids brought in their own food/drink. I usually just packed something extra in her lunch box and she had her water bottle to drink from.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #35
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

My kids have snack all though elementary school. They are allowed to bring in a bottle of water with their snack. They are only allowed to have it on their desk during snack time. Except for the beginning or end of the school year when it gets over 80 degrees in the building.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

At my younger kid's rural K-8 school, the kids can bring a snack from home if they so desire. (Back in grades K-2, I believe, instead of bring a personal snack, each parent provided a box or two of crackers at the beginning of the school year and the teacher divvied them up.) Snacks have to be healthy, not too sugar-y (i.e. granola bars are fine even if they have tiny chocolate chips in them, chocolate covered granola bars, not so much), and not messy. They also have a personal water bottle that comes home every day, and they re-fill the bottle at the the classroom sink.

They can eat their snack at their desks, quietly, after either of their recesses, or after P.E. time. Milk is never provided for snack, only at lunchtime. They just drink water from their water bottles.

My kids take crackers (usually Cheese-Its), pretzel sticks, baby carrots, granola bars, cereal bars, popcorn (popped that morning and put into a sandwich baggie), or fresh, non-messy fruit (quartered oranges, whole apples, grapes, etc.)

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

DD15 is a freshman in high school, and they get two breaks a day, plus lunch. if they bring a snack or snacks from home, they're allowed to eat them during their breaks, or, they can buy one, if they want, but it's not designated as a snack break, so snacking isn't required. DD usually eats a snack during the first break, about 10:00am, but not during the 2nd one, in the afternoon, because it's right before band, and she's not allowed to eat anything before playing (gunks up her mouthpiece). she usually just takes a quaker bar or 100 calorie pack and a juice box or a bottle of water.

in elementary and middle school, they had snack breaks as well, and could bring or buy a snack. i sub at the elem. school DD attended, usually for Kindergarten, and they have a snack break in the afternoon, around 1:15pm, because they eat lunch pretty early (around 10:45am). most of the kids bring a snack, but 1-2 of them will usually bring money to buy something. there have been a few times when a child wouldn't have anything for snack, and the others will usually share. sometimes, the teacher will have a snack stash for kids who don't have a snack.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #38
Ephany
DIS Veteran

DD's 4th grade class allows snacks, but each child brings their own. It has to be healthy. They're allowed only water to drink, but I think that's because the classroom was just remodeled and the teacher had a horrible time with ants before. DD takes a water bottle daily and is allowed to keep it at her desk.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #39
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Just remember, the more they drink the more they are asking to go to the bathroom, so now you have a steady stream of kids from each class back and forth to the bathroom rather than in class learning like they should be. Kids should be able to have breakfast at home, lunch at school and then a snack when they get home and survive. All the snacks the kids are having and less recess time is not helping anything.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #40
richmond282
Trumpet players don't have egos, we're just better than you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin View Post
Lol- Ya. I probably am gonna be "that parent!" They don't allow them to have drinks @ snack time. They do let them take a few drinks from
Fountain after snack. I *know* at the beginning of the year, they told us they provide milk for snack at orientation. I just can't see sending my a snack and him not having a drink with it. All along I've been sending peanut butter crackers and stuff, I didn't know. We aren't allowed to send water or anything.
And- not to mention he Has like a cough variation asthma, he has bad flair ups when he catches a cold- I really just don't like him drinking from a fountain regularly. I am a bit overprotective, but any little bit helps. The slightest cold is a nightmare for us.
I'm really surprised that you were allowed to send in a peanut butter snack. That is an absolute no-no here. No nut anything for anybody.

My DD is allowed to take a "nutritious" snack each day. Basically no cookies, candy, chips, or sweets. She can take a water bottle to fill up. I personally don't' see what the big deal is about snacks. Most of us old people grew up without a snack everyday and we are fine. My DD doesn't eat a snack most days when she is at home either.

Honestly, OP, I think I might approach this in a non-confrontational way. I would simply speak to your son's teacher directly. I would explain your concerns about his health conditions and ask permission to either send in some disposable Dixie cups or a water bottle for him to use at snack time. I guess he would still fill that up in the water fountain every body else uses though right?
richmond282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #41
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond282 View Post
I'm really surprised that you were allowed to send in a peanut butter snack. That is an absolute no-no here. No nut anything for anybody.
At our schools if there is a peanut allergy kid in the class they request that you don't bring in anything for snack with peanuts in it since its eaten in the classroom but lunch time you can have whatever you want, in fact they serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday if you don't want what they have for hot lunch. In Jr. High and High school the kids bring anything they want, they don't even have a peanut free table like they do in grade school, I guess at that age they figure they can move themselves if the kid next to them is eating peanut butter.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #42
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin View Post
Lol- Ya. I probably am gonna be "that parent!" They don't allow them to have drinks @ snack time. They do let them take a few drinks from
Fountain after snack. I *know* at the beginning of the year, they told us they provide milk for snack at orientation. I just can't see sending my a snack and him not having a drink with it. All along I've been sending peanut butter crackers and stuff, I didn't know. We aren't allowed to send water or anything.
And- not to mention he Has like a cough variation asthma, he has bad flair ups when he catches a cold- I really just don't like him drinking from a fountain regularly. I am a bit overprotective, but any little bit helps. The slightest cold is a nightmare for us.
what about jello cups............ pudding snacks........cups of peaches....yogarts ....fruit snacks....... bananna etc etc etc .. so its not such a dry snack............. if you dont want him drinking from water fountain

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #43
GraysMom
DIS Veteran

DS8 is in Second Grade and has had snack each year. Although the district really encourages healthy choices (and all must be peanut-free), some kids still bring in a candy bar or cookies every single day and then I look like the mean mom because I won't let my son take those. Our district does not offer milk at snack time, although the kids are encouraged to bring water bottles to keep in their desk, or they can use the water fountain if they forget. Honestly, DS rarely drinks the mini bottle he takes in the course of a week!

When I was in elementary school, we did not have snack time after kindergarten, but we could buy milk for our "snack". Who really wants to drink a carton of milk when they don't have anything to eat with it .
Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #44
TanyaS
Mouseketeer

I send in a Kleen Kanteen water bottle with my DD (second grade) every Monday. She keeps it on her desk, refilling it from the water fountain as needed, and brings it home on Fridays to wash. She also has a koozie around it to keep it from "sweating" on the desk.

They are permitted snack time in her school. Because of the large number of students, lunch times are all over the place, so having a snack helps keep kids from going for long periods of time without eating (thus likely being able to learn better!). No, no one is going to "starve" - but if you catch the bus at 6:30 and don't have lunch until 1:00, you might be lacking enough fuel to learn. Especially if you are one of those kids who doesn't eat well right after waking up - you might have gone 16-17 hours without eating. :-)

Students do not get milk at snack time. They can buy it in the cafeteria at lunch.

Teachers have different approaches to snack time. Some ask for kids to bring in their own snack daily, others ask parents to rotate providing snacks for the whole class.
TanyaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #45
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish.Glenn View Post
I am in Massachusetts and we call it a bubbler too! Funny! What do you call those things either chocolate or rainbow, you put on your ice cream?
I grew up outside of Boston; we always drank from the bubbler! We never had the rainbow things when I was a kid, but by high school many of my friends liked sprinkles on their ice cream. I, however, preferred jimmies! (that'd be chocolate sprinkles for those of you who don't speak New England!)

I totally don't understand why we feed kids non-stop while they are in school. Federal and state governments get their panties in a bunch about childhood obesity, and mandate all kinds of foolish serving sizes and components of lunches, but they feed them breakfast before school begins, let them have a mid-morning snack 2 hours later, lunch 2 hours after that, and then send them home 2.5 hours later... usually for another snack! I bet parents don't feed their kids that much, or that frequently, on the weekends or vacations!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: