Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Snack was only in kindergarten (don't know why they needed it - only 1/2 day), and it consisted of a handful of pretzels. The older grades get no snack, no drink, and somehow, my kids survived.

I was pregnant with #4 and #5 when my oldest entered first grade. I made a personal decision that I was going to pick my battles, because I knew I was going to be at that school for a LONG time (my oldest is looking at colleges - I'm still there). Some people don't mind being "that parent." However, I can assure you that "that parent" tends to be out of luck if they actually have a real problem they would like to fix.

I am assuming this is your first child, and this child is young. I'd save my bullets for another day. JMHO.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Malone View Post
All elementary grades have snack time here. If a child wants a snack/drink they have to pack one from home. Everyone is encouraged to bring a water bottle and keep it at their desk to sip from throughout the day.
same here.....never have heard about a school (unless pre-school) actually providing the snacks.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
trewin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by java

My kids have snack. And if they want a drink they can bring one from home. They bring a water bottle to school every day. Will they not allow you to send in a drink? The only time milk was provided (for a fee) was in half day kindergarten. Or my boys can buy it now during lunch.

Pick your battles. You don't want to be "that" parent when they are getting ready to assign his teacher for next year.
Lol- Ya. I probably am gonna be "that parent!" They don't allow them to have drinks @ snack time. They do let them take a few drinks from
Fountain after snack. I *know* at the beginning of the year, they told us they provide milk for snack at orientation. I just can't see sending my a snack and him not having a drink with it. All along I've been sending peanut butter crackers and stuff, I didn't know. We aren't allowed to send water or anything.
And- not to mention he Has like a cough variation asthma, he has bad flair ups when he catches a cold- I really just don't like him drinking from a fountain regularly. I am a bit overprotective, but any little bit helps. The slightest cold is a nightmare for us.
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
trewin
Mouseketeer

I guess I might be over reacting... I'm pregnant, I can blame it on the hormones! Lol, We have 2 months left of kindergarten...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I live in Canada and here the kids have two "nutrition breaks", one at 10:25 am and one at 12:45 pm, each followed by recess. This works out great since kids get a chance to split their meals up and eat twice, especially great for little ones with small tummies

Anyway about the water thing my kids each just take a refillable water bottle to school and keep it on their desk. This is the only drink they have and they can sip/drink from it through out the day. They tell me practically everyone does this.

mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
alc571
DIS Veteran

My son is in grade two and they still get a morning snack time and an afternoon snack time (just before the recesses). He takes a thermos of milk - which he is allowed to keep at his desk for the day. He drinks his juice box with his lunch. They're not allowed juice boxes during snack because most can't finish them that quick.

Our school actually installed new fountains that accommodate bottle filling. The kids are actually encouraged to have a thermos or water bottle with them at all times.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #22
Pikester
DIS Veteran

In my district, kids in Preschool -6th grade have snack whenever the teacher decides and that is usually based on when that grades lunch is. The kids bring a snack and a drink from home and the school supplies a healthy snack in the afternoon. All the kids are allowed a waterbottle on their desk as long as it does not become a distraction. The preschool kids do have access to snack milk but not the other grades.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin View Post
Thanks! Seems like everybody else gets a drink w/ snack, who has snack. I'm not saying they all have to have milk or juice- I just don't think it'd be that hard to get them a Dixie cup filled w/ water from a Brita pitcher or let us send a bottle from home. I don't know if it was a budget cut or they are too lazy to clean up the once in a while spill. To me, it feels so wrong not giving them a drink w/ their snack! I am going to say something when they go back to school after Easter.
My older DS used to be able to buy milk for snack time, or bring in a juice box. By the time my younger one got to K five years later, milk was only at breakfast and lunch and juice boxes were no longer allowed. Drinks were from the water fountain only for snack time.
A funny thing happens with kids at certain ages. They learn that squeezing the juice box will send a stream of juice at another kid.
Don't assume teachers are too lazy to clean up a spill- teachers (especially the younger grades) are the least lazy people you will ever meet- and no, I am not a teacher. The problem is never one occasional spill, it's the streams of juice that end up all over the place that are the problem.
OP, I hope you get a satisfactory result with your son's school.......
ETA, I agree with the posters who advise you to pick your battles. If this is the worst battle you will fight, then count yourself lucky- as having a thirsty child is the very least of some parents worries with school.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

My kids always had snack time in elementary but it was not provided by the school, parents sent it in. Most teachers allow kids to have a water bottle at their desk all day so there would never be an issue of kids not having a drink unless the parents didn't send one in.
Also, teachers specifically request water only.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

in kindergarten (half day) mine were allowed to have milk with snack (paid for by us). After kindy, mine would buy milk to have with their lunch, but would bring a bottle of water for snack or if they were thirsty during the day.

would the teacher allow you to pack a bottle of water for them?
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #26
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Last year my twins were in pre-k in TX and were not allowed to bring a drink with snack. They had drinks from the water fountain. ("One...two...three...enough for me!") They were allowed sips throughout the day as well, so it wasn't a problem for me.

This year in NY(kindergarten), they bring their snack AND drink. If we have juice boxes, they bring one, if not they have water bottles in their backpacks all of the time anyway for the bus ride and stuff.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
trewin
Mouseketeer

No, they aren't allowed water bottles. And they are only allowed to drink out of the fountain at recess, and after snack. Not throughout the day. My son says "because then everybody else will want to too". According to responses, most kids are allowed drinks w/ snack. I think it's odd they aren't. I think just think it is harsh for kindergarten kids to go 3.5 hours without a drink. Drinking a few sips from a fountain doesn't seem like it would be satisfying after a snack. At his preschool they gave them small cups of water - If there was a spill, it was water, a small amount, no big deal! It happens. I can understand not having juice or milk in the classroom. However, I think it's wrong to basically give them nothing. Especially, after parents were informed at orientation that they'd have milk.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Our kids have snack K-5 in grade school- they bring their own snack and drink. They "request" healthy snacks but usually the kids bring in cookies, pop tarts or things like that. In 6th grade they had nothing other than a water bottle they could drink from all day and in 7th grade nothing at all, 8th grade they have a math teacher for 4th period that lets them snack while they work so most of them eat a snack then. High school many kids don't get a lunch period so they snack in whatever class they can to keep from being to hungry by the end of the day.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #29
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Kids have snack K-4(5th graders don't get it, they say because they are trying to transition them to middle school, so no snack, ...and they switch classes).
Everyone brings their own, a drink and something to eat.

I've always thought it was odd, didn't think kids needed a snack when they had breakfast at 8:00, lunch at 11:50 and home at 3:15.

Anyway, we used to do milk (for purchase)for snack, but barely anyone bought it, and since we have no cafeteria and everything gets delivered from the high school, they stopped it, too much hassle n

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForMyBoys View Post
Our kids do not get morning milk (I wish they did!), but they are required to bring in a daily, healthy, peanut free snack. They are also allowed to bring in a water bottle, but if they don't they can drink from the bubbler... drinking fountain for all you non-Wisconsinites
Fellow Wisconsinite here!

When my DD was in kindergarten - we paid a "milk fee" at the beginning of the year, which was for milk every day, all year. Each student's family provided the snacks for 1 week of the school year. (Granted - DD is finishing up her freshman year in college this semester - so this was a few years ago)

In other grades - students were supposed to bring a healthy snack, and could always bring in a water bottle.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: