Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
trewin
Mouseketeer

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I was wondering how many people's kids have milk w/ snack at school? I know there are a lot of ppl here w/ school aged kids.
All along, since orientation the school said They provide milk @ snack time. I never thought twice about it- just recently my son said they aren't allowed drinks, only a few sips of water from the fountain. It kind of ticks me off. Who wants to eat crackers without a drink? And I hate knowing he drinks out of a public fountain that 5 kids with colds just drank out of.
Yes, I could be over reacting......I was just wondering what other public schools policies on snack time are. This is my first child in school, I don't really know what the norm is....
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

We have never had snack times. None of my kids and now my grand kids have every had a snack time except in pre school.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

At our school, only kindergarteners have a designated snack time. The teachers vary in how they handle it. Two of the teachers assign a day to each student for them to provide snacks and drinks for the entire class. The other teachers have each child bring their own snack and drink from home. If they forget a drink, they can go to the water fountain.

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin View Post
I'm not really sure where to post this, but I was wondering how many people's kids have milk w/ snack at school? I know there are a lot of ppl here w/ school aged kids.
All along, since orientation the school said They provide milk @ snack time. I never thought twice about it- just recently my son said they aren't allowed drinks, only a few sips of water from the fountain. It kind of ticks me off. Who wants to eat crackers without a drink? And I hate knowing he drinks out of a public fountain that 5 kids with colds just drank out of.
Yes, I could be over reacting......I was just wondering what other public schools policies on snack time are. This is my first child in school, I don't really know what the norm is....
At the schools in our district, kids can either buy their morning snack or bring it from home. If they buy, there are usually a few options (cereal, muffin, etc.) and chocolate or regular milk. When my kids were younger, I would usually send a small snack in addition to their lunches, like a package of crackers and a juice box. As far as I know, milk has always been included with snack and lunch.

Last edited by Luv Bunnies; 03-30-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

Our kids do not get morning milk (I wish they did!), but they are required to bring in a daily, healthy, peanut free snack. They are also allowed to bring in a water bottle, but if they don't they can drink from the bubbler... drinking fountain for all you non-Wisconsinites
Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

We do snacks at my school, and there's no drink. The water fountain is always available, but most of the kids don't seem to care.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForMyBoys
Our kids do not get morning milk (I wish they did!), but they are required to bring in a daily, healthy, peanut free snack. They are also allowed to bring in a water bottle, but if they don't they can drink from the bubbler... drinking fountain for all you non-Wisconsinites
I am in Massachusetts and we call it a bubbler too! Funny! What do you call those things either chocolate or rainbow, you put on your ice cream?
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Sorry I didn't answer the question too excited to see bubbler. No school aged kids anymore....but she could buy milk during snack time through 5th grade, then no more snack.
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

For those of you whose kids can buy milk at snack, do they also get milk at breakfast and lunch? Our school gives out milk twice a day (breakfast and lunch) which seems like plenty to me. We have morning snack, which is provided by parents in rotation, and afternoon snack, which is provided by the school, but neither has a drink with it.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
luv4u859
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am a preschool teacher. My school provides lunch with milk and than snack with juice. That's kinda messed up they don't give them anything to drink.

Second cruise!!! Key west, fl and cozumel, mexico
luv4u859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
sms
DIS Veteran

My DS is in 4th grade. They can take a snack as long as its not peanuts or candy. They can take water or juice. No soft drinks.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
amber_cntrygrl
Mouseketeer

DS is in 1st grade and is allowed to take a peanut free snack and either bottled water or 100% juice to drink.

amber_cntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

All elementary grades have snack time here. If a child wants a snack/drink they have to pack one from home. Everyone is encouraged to bring a water bottle and keep it at their desk to sip from throughout the day.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #14
trewin
Mouseketeer

Thanks! Seems like everybody else gets a drink w/ snack, who has snack. I'm not saying they all have to have milk or juice- I just don't think it'd be that hard to get them a Dixie cup filled w/ water from a Brita pitcher or let us send a bottle from home. I don't know if it was a budget cut or they are too lazy to clean up the once in a while spill. To me, it feels so wrong not giving them a drink w/ their snack! I am going to say something when they go back to school after Easter.
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Thanks! Seems like everybody else gets a drink w/ snack, who has snack. I'm not saying they all have to have milk or juice- I just don't think it'd be that hard to get them a Dixie cup filled w/ water from a Brita pitcher or let us send a bottle from home. I don't know if it was a budget cut or they are too lazy to clean up the once in a while spill. To me, it feels so wrong not giving them a drink w/ their snack! I am going to say something when they go back to school after Easter.
My kids have snack. And if they want a drink they can bring one from home. They bring a water bottle to school every day. Will they not allow you to send in a drink? The only time milk was provided (for a fee) was in half day kindergarten. Or my boys can buy it now during lunch.

Pick your battles. You don't want to be "that" parent when they are getting ready to assign his teacher for next year.
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: