Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post

No she's not reread the original post. She offers quite a few justifications for why she's not. I truly hope I'm wrong here. For the sake of the cat, Ii really hope I am. And actually I did give a suggestion.
Dakcp did offer a suggestion and it is a good one. However it is one we have tried and it has not been effective.

But Dakcp has one thing backwards. I'm not ok with declawing him. I keep trying to make myself ok with it, but I can't.

He has had a rough life so far, and I can't bear the thought of causing him more pain. He's not clawing to be destructive, he's clawing to get to something else, using his claws like fingers. He digs his claws in to the blinds so he can move them and see outside. He digs his claws in to our cabinets and dressers to open them and see inside. He claws our arms so he can get next to us and snuggle. He digs his claws in the bedspread to move it so he can get under it. He will go use a scratching post like he should, then turn around and use his claws to open something.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. Not to make an appointment for surgery, but to discuss alternatives.

I apologize if my original post seemed like all I wanted was justification to ease my guilt. That's not it at all. I'm really looking for alternatives besides the standard ones you give a cat owner. Those aren't working with him. I don't want to put him through the surgery, but I also don't want to spend the rest of his life yelling at him being stressed that he is causing thousands of dollars of damage. He is a member of this family and I want him to be a happy member of this family.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Have you tried the double-sided sticky tape? That's what we needed to do with one of our cats. He just scratched upholstered furniture (mainly the new couch!). Not sure what you'd do with curtains....worth a try. It would be a temporary thing because there is hope that he'd become conditioned to not do it.

Good luck!

minniecarousel is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
He is definitely an indoor-only kitty.

He is about to turn one. He is 7 lbs. we really thought he was not going to be a scratcher. He's smart as a whip, but has been slow to mature. (His litter was taken from their mother at 3 weeks by a well meaning old man who fed them nothing but green beans and oatmeal until a rescue found out about it). His growth seems to be stunted too. He really looks and acts like a 6 mo kitten, but he's very smart.
He is still young and small, if you do decide to declaw he should heal up quick and not be in to much discomfort. There are several methods used to declaw. I personally would look for a vet that uses a laser. Couple reasons for this
1) smaller incisions are made so less skin to heal up, less chance of infection
2) the laser cauterizes as it cuts so again faster healing and less pain
3) less chance of nicking the next bone or leaving behind any bone chips compared to a blade or "roscoe" method (roscoes are a type of tool some vets use)
4 the smaller holes also mean less glue or sutures are needed, some vets actually leave the small incisions open to heal after using the laser.

Pain meds have come light years in technology for cats, there are lots of good options now, in fact they can even put a fentanyl patch on kitty for continuous pain relief.

If this cat was 10 years and 20 lbs or even 5 years and 15 lbs I would say don't do it , and yes I have seen many older and bigger cats be declawed.

But he's small and young still. If you need to do it sooner will be better than later.

I know it's tough to decide, don't feel guilty and feel free to PM me
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #19
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Two things I have done in the past that were effective in stopping the cat from clawing at furniture and only using the scratching post

One cat learned with the use of the spray water. Every time he clawed the furniture I would spray him with water, it took about a week but it worked.

Another cat she was more stubborn (spray water didn't work) so what I did with her is I took one of the cat carriers I had and every time she scratched I would tell her no and then lock her in the carrier for a few minutes, when I took her out I would put her on the scratching post. She didn't like the cat carrier and learned quickly

Good Luck I hope you find a solution.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Have you tried a little spray of water at him when he scratches something he is not supposed to? I did not see it in your postings. I would not declaw.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #21
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
Have you tried a little spray of water at him when he scratches something he is not supposed to? I did not see it in your postings. I would not declaw.
Great minds, Tozzie and Flying Dumbo!

I was just going to suggest this. Get a spray bottle, that shoots with a stream and not a mist, and try squirting him. This has worked for a couple of people in my office with cats and this same issue.

Good luck!

Last edited by LiveYourLife; 03-30-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Add
LiveYourLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

I had one big orange tomcat that would just look at you when you squirted him. He seemed confused as to why I would squirt him,and give you a dirty look, but not stop walking on the counter. For all my other kitties, it did work to stop bad behavior. And for the record, tin foil DID work on getting him off the counter.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

Ok. I am not a cat owner, but this tin foil concept has me intrigued, and you all are much more fun than google. What exactly does the tin foil do to correct bad kitty behaviors?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
Great minds, Flying Dumbo!

I was just going to suggest this. Get a spray bottle, that shoots with a stream and not a mist, and try squirting him. This has worked for a couple of people in my office with cats and this same issue.

Good luck!
Water isn't a punishment for our cats. It's a treat. Especially for this little guy. He is used to getting baths, drinks from the faucet, and sticks his feet in the water bowl. We tried the water bottle thing right away with him as a kitten and he thinks its a game. It's great, because a lot of cats face health problems from not drinking enough water, but we don't have that problem with these 2. It's bad because we can't use it for training.

We are trying to figure out how to use the double stick tape as a deterrent. And I am going to call the vet for suggestions, but I think he may tell me the standard things (lots of scratching posts, positive reinforcement, keeping the nails trimmed).

However I feel more positive about the situation today and am even more determined to change his behavior other ways. We are going to give the nail caps one more try and watch his sister like a hawk until she accepts that her brother has to wear them.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I don't think declawing is cruel....it's not like they are tying it to a table and pulling them out with a pair a pliers with no anesthesia....and they get pain meds. People get their dogs and cats spayed and neutered all the time....that has to hurt too, and it doesn't HAVE to be done. People get their baby boys circumcised that doesn't HAVE to be done either.....and you know that has to hurt!!

i'd get your cat declawed or adopt him out. Baby trumps cat.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

I have 3 cats that are not declawed. It sounds like you are doing everything that I would've suggested to you.

Having a spray bottle filled with water and then squirting it at him when he is scratching may help. Also, I physically held my cats to the scratching post and had them use their claws on it. I would repeat this over a span of a few hours doing it every 15 minutes or so. It takes time, but it is worth it.

I have spred some cat nip around the scratching posts to get their attention and make them want to come around it.

Certain scratching posts are better than others. The ones with the thick rope are really good.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
Hardy
Mouseketeer

Cats also don't like scary noises, so if a water gun doesn't work, a can of pennies is really effective. Please do not declaw your cat. Yes, they will eventually heal but it is extremely painful and unnecessary. Cats hide their pain and discomfort naturally but make no mistake it hurts! Plus, they just really enjoy scratching. My cat was pretty naughty for awhile and climbed curtains and scratched things for probably her first two years. Just keep on correcting, and try vertical and horizontal scratchers and different materials. Now my cat runs and does a "celebratory scratch" every time we come in the door...she runs to her scratcher every time. It's the cutest thing!

Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas - June 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) August 2012
Old Key West - August 2011
Beach Club Villas - January 2011
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and our 1st visit to Hogwarts! - October 2010
All Star Music/Saratoga Springs/Pop Century - March 2009
Caribbean Beach - October 2008
Port Orleans Riverside - October 2005
Offsite as a kid (what were my parents thinking?)
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
mimmi
DIS Veteran

My cat does it, too and it gets worse with her getting older.
We have tried so many things:
water spray- only works when we are with her, as soon as we are gone, she starts alle over again (sometimes I think it's just to show us)
A spray that is supposed to keep her from the furniture and catnip spray to make the scratching post more attractive- didn't work, I think she is insensitive to smell
a device that produces a sound only cats can hear and is supposed to be uncomfortable- didn't work, although I'm sure she isn't deaf

We admonish her when we catch her and other than that we have given up, she is so extremely stubborn .

I've heard about declawing on this board for the very first time, in my country it's forbidden, (abusing animals is taken very seriously here) and I would definitely never do that to my cat.
Every animal has its advantages and disadvantages. A cat comes with claws, if that is something I don't like, I don't get a cat. I don't have it custom fit for me that seems so disrespectful to me.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Water isn't a punishment for our cats. It's a treat. Especially for this little guy. He is used to getting baths, drinks from the faucet, and sticks his feet in the water bowl. We tried the water bottle thing right away with him as a kitten and he thinks its a game. It's great, because a lot of cats face health problems from not drinking enough water, but we don't have that problem with these 2. It's bad because we can't use it for training.

We are trying to figure out how to use the double stick tape as a deterrent. And I am going to call the vet for suggestions, but I think he may tell me the standard things (lots of scratching posts, positive reinforcement, keeping the nails trimmed).

However I feel more positive about the situation today and am even more determined to change his behavior other ways. We are going to give the nail caps one more try and watch his sister like a hawk until she accepts that her brother has to wear them.
I've heard about the water bottle not working for some cats. Something I first saw on My Cat from Hell was the use of a can of compressed air. It works!!! I got a can of compressed air in the electronics section at Target for somewhere around $5. It's normally used to clean dust off of keyboards and out of computer towers.

My kitty, Bear, was becoming fascinated with the front door and what lay beyond. One time he took off after a stray when I opened to door to go outside. The only thing that stopped him (halfway across the yard) was that there was snow on the ground and he'd never felt that before. Stopped him dead in his tracks long enough for me to be able to grab him. I got the can of air that night and sprayed a quick burst whenever DS or I would go to the door. Bear would take off instantly. It only took a few days - he now automatically jumps up onto the 3rd or 4th step of the staircase whenever we get to the door.

It would take some diligence on your part, but maybe a can of air would help get the "don't do that" message across to your little furry buddy?

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #30
RainbowBrite
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
I don't think declawing is cruel....it's not like they are tying it to a table and pulling them out with a pair a pliers with no anesthesia....and they get pain meds. People get their dogs and cats spayed and neutered all the time....that has to hurt too, and it doesn't HAVE to be done. People get their baby boys circumcised that doesn't HAVE to be done either.....and you know that has to hurt!!

i'd get your cat declawed or adopt him out. Baby trumps cat.
I completely disagree...declawing IS cruel. It's the equivalent to getting our fingers cut off to the first knuckle. It is not just removing their claws. Getting spayed and neutered lowers the risk of certain cancers in animals and it prevents them from having lots of babies that will end up in shelters or put to sleep when they are not wanted. My personal view is that when you take in a cat you know they have claws and that they might use them...so if you're not prepared for that then don't adopt one.

RainbowBrite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: