Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
amg35
DIS Veteran

Cool The joys of the workplace

We have 4 fridges at work and that has to accommodate a lot of people. Most people put in a small lunch bag, maybe yogurt or string cheese, a frozen meal, etc., and then the others...

I think it's inconsiderate to stock the fridge at work like it's the one at your home!! Loaves of bread, heads of lettuce, lunch meat, large jars of mayo, gallons of milk for one person, you get what I'm saying.
Make your sandwich at home and bring it in so that maybe more than you and 5 other people can fit something in the fridge. Everyday I see someone try to fit their smaller lunch bag in and give up.

Or, my favorite, the woman who brought 16 lean cuisines in and filled up almost 2 of the 4 freezers. That was nice of her.
Seriously? Maybe 2 or 3 at time, but 16????

ugh!
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Wow thats so rude! if you know who the food belongs to, i'd confront him/her. Or you can go to the supervisor/manager and have them deal with it.

At my work i've had to deal with food thieves! I hate that!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
We have 4 fridges at work and that has to accommodate a lot of people. Most people put in a small lunch bag, maybe yogurt or string cheese, a frozen meal, etc., and then the others...

I think it's inconsiderate to stock the fridge at work like it's the one at your home!! Loaves of bread, heads of lettuce, lunch meat, large jars of mayo, gallons of milk for one person, you get what I'm saying.
Make your sandwich at home and bring it in so that maybe more than you and 5 other people can fit something in the fridge. Everyday I see someone try to fit their smaller lunch bag in and give up.

Or, my favorite, the woman who brought 16 lean cuisines in and filled up almost 2 of the 4 freezers. That was nice of her.
Seriously? Maybe 2 or 3 at time, but 16????

ugh!
Yeahhhh...we have a fridge and a freezer in our lunchroom too.
Our big problem is people forgetting that they put things in there and things start to go bad. So we put a sign up (did it yesterday as a matter of fact) that we were gonna clean out the fridge.
Most people bring in a couple of frozen meals (not 16 though ) or keep an insulated lunch bag with maybe a small jar of mayo, a couple of yogurts, etc. But nothing like their fridge at home! Yikes!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Gosh that is rude!!! I have an insulated bag with an ice pack so I don't have to use the fridge (for this reason and also I don't trust my food in there).

At our work they clean out the fridge every Friday night and throw anything in there away. Can you guys do that???
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
amg35
DIS Veteran

No clue who's stocking the fridge for a nuclear war, but I do know who brought in the lean cuisine, we all saw her put them in the freezers.

It's easy to vent on a message board, not so easy to say something to the person!

They do clean out the fridges of old food, but the stocking problem has never been "officially" mentioned.

In the grand scheme it's no big deal, but it's turning into a HUGE pet peeve of mine.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
TifffanyD
I need to reload

They should throw EVERYTHING out including tupperware. No exceptions!

Haha it seems harsh but really having fridges there is a priviledge and they need to treat it as such.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I HATE workplace fridges. They skeeve me out because they are always nasty. I don't understand how people just forget stuff is in there.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of an insulated bag is to keep the inside of the bag at a different temperature than the outside of the bag, correct? So if you want your food cold in the summer, you put an ice pack in so the inside of the bag stays cold while outside it is hot. If you want your food to stay warm, you put it in the bag without an ice pack and even if it is cold outside the food stays warmer longer. Right?

So, what is the point of putting your insulated bag IN the fridge to keep your food cold? Won't the bag keep the cold air from penetrating in to the food? It takes up way more room than just a tupperware container.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

We used to have a dorm size refrigerator and there was a note on it - one frozen dinner per person because of the same issues. The company ended up buying a full size fridge and hires someone from building housekeeping to clean it out once a month (last Friday). A sign goes up about a week before with a reminder. Still someone was mad last month when a salad dressing was thrown out.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of an insulated bag is to keep the inside of the bag at a different temperature than the outside of the bag, correct? So if you want your food cold in the summer, you put an ice pack in so the inside of the bag stays cold while outside it is hot. If you want your food to stay warm, you put it in the bag without an ice pack and even if it is cold outside the food stays warmer longer. Right?

So, what is the point of putting your insulated bag IN the fridge to keep your food cold? Won't the bag keep the cold air from penetrating in to the food? It takes up way more room than just a tupperware container.
I don't see many insulated bags in the fridge. I'm talking people couldn't put their lunch bag (paper or plastic baggie) in the fridge due to all the other junk in there (forgot to mention the cartons of juice, you know, like you buy for you family!!!)- remember, a lot of people use these.

On the flip side, I shouldn't have to buy an insulated lunch bag because of some thoughtless people either.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
TifffanyD
I need to reload

No you shouldn't have to buy an insulated bag if your company provides fridges, but I do for my own food's safety.

Awhile ago a coworker had her lunch pawed through, her yogurt taken, and replaced with a different yogurt (different brand than she normally buys). HOW CREEPY!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post

THIS!!! At my work, there are 2 full size fridges (onloy frig, no freezer complartment) on each floor. It is filled with insulated lunch bags. How do people not get the concept? Drives me crazy as i watch people cram there bags in and leave little to no room for those that just stick their microwave container in (you kow, the stuff that really needs to be in the fridge!)
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I'm probably the worst at my work. I keep a 2 liter bottle of soda and a 2 quart container of lemonade in the fridge in addition to my lunch. That said, we have plenty of space. I do keep an eye on what's going on with the space as we've grown the company and eventually I may need to tweak my system
Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

My bosses began giving away the surplus packaged food stored in the fridges and freezers after someone filled all the freezers with frozen pizzas. I don't understand keeping more food at work than what you're going to eat for the day. Lots of people also put insulated bags into the fridges, but that's mostly because there isn't anywhere else to put them except under the coat rack. We need lockers or shelving or something.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Ah, the work refrigerator.

My pet peeve are the *many* people who buy those cute, yet fairly large, insulated bags. They then stick these directly in fridge. Because these bags are fairly unbending, you can't adjust food around much and make things fit. I think it's just rude to do this knowing that we have 150 people sharing four refrigerators.

My friend and I buy a half gallon of milk each week and share it. That's our transgression. Both of us did try to bring in milk daily but we were both ending up with spills/leaks in our bag. We both eat a bowl of cereal each morning as well as use milk in tea and coffee, so we use a LOT of milk per week.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: