Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #46
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I am guessing this is not a good choice for those with food allergies? DD is allergic to tree nuts and I am allergic/intolerant to dairy. Will we be able to enjoy this or should we skip it and do something else?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #47
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
I am guessing this is not a good choice for those with food allergies? DD is allergic to tree nuts and I am allergic/intolerant to dairy. Will we be able to enjoy this or should we skip it and do something else?
I probably wouldn't risk it. A big part of the tour is the part where you make your own candy. They put a variety of things, including nuts, on a plate for you to use to make your candies. If your allergies are very severe, there may be too much risk of exposure and a reaction. Jmo.
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #48
Samar
DIS Veteran

We're booked for this this upcoming Friday!

SO excited!!!! I saw this excursion and booked right away, helloooooooo, CHOCOLATE!

99- ASMu 00- Off 01- Off 03- Off (mom's house) 05-Off (mom's) 06- Off Dec/Jan 08- High Point World Resort and The Palms Hotel and Villas AKL-Jambo July, 2010 POR August 2012 Disney Dream- 1st cruise! Sept 2013
Samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #49
ragerat1
Earning My Ears

Booked this for next week. Sounds like a good one. Any other tips, thoughts opinions on it?
ragerat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #50
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Im booking this for 2014 Dreamy Thanksgiving. 10,12& 14yo kids. This sounds perfect.

sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #51
karmacats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerat1 View Post
Booked this for next week. Sounds like a good one. Any other tips, thoughts opinions on it?
i did this about 3 weeks ago off the Dream, and had a blast. as for tips -

1. they gave us all a caramel milk chocolate to use, but one passenger said he didn't like milk chocolate so they gave him dark. so, don't be afraid to speak up! (that said, I love dark chocolate but the caramel milk chocolate was the best thing by far that I tried).

2. one of the items we coated in chocolate was a pineapple chunk, and when i got back to the cabin and opened the box of stuff i had made, it was leaking pineapple juice all over. so, you might want to eat that first (or even eat it at the factory, so it doesn't leak on your other creations).

3. others had reported putting their valuables in lockers, but we didn't have to, and we were allowed to bring cameras into the factory. i was kind of bummed because i had not brought my camera as i didn't want to leave it in a locker.

4. if you have nut allergies, be aware the coatings/fillings we got for the chocolates were coconut, almond slivers, granola, and chocolate chips. they do seem very accomodating, though, so might be able to give you all chocolate chips, or find some other topping/filling. if cross-contamination is an issue, you probably will not be able to eat anything there.

5. everything we tried from the gift shop was good (chocolate covered popcorn, dark chocolate krispy bar, milk chocolate bar). they give $$$ from the sale of certain bars to dog rescue organizations - those bars are marked with a special tag, so keep an eye out if you're an animal person.

if you have any particular questions, just ask and i will try to answer!

robin
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #52
aliron
Mouseketeer

Question Sugar Free

Robin,

Do you know if sugar free chocolate is an option?

Thanks

Last edited by aliron; 11-13-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
aliron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #53
karmacats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliron View Post
Robin,

Do you know if sugar free chocolate is an option?

Thanks
Sorry, I don't. I didn't even notice any in the store (I usually buy sugarfree for my mom, but I didn't see any, so I got her the chocolate-covered popcorn instead, figuring it's mostly popcorn and not that much chocolate!). It's a pretty small operation, so they may not have it.

If it helps, this webpage has a contact us link - maybe they could tell you?

http://graycliff.com/index.php?optio...=49&Itemid=302
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #54
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmacats View Post
i did this about 3 weeks ago off the Dream, and had a blast. as for tips -

1. they gave us all a caramel milk chocolate to use, but one passenger said he didn't like milk chocolate so they gave him dark. so, don't be afraid to speak up! (that said, I love dark chocolate but the caramel milk chocolate was the best thing by far that I tried).

2. one of the items we coated in chocolate was a pineapple chunk, and when i got back to the cabin and opened the box of stuff i had made, it was leaking pineapple juice all over. so, you might want to eat that first (or even eat it at the factory, so it doesn't leak on your other creations).
Aw drat, we could have asked for a different chocolate? Darn.

Same experience with the pineapple. Eat that asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Hi! I forgot you'd asked that question. Spoiler alert for my trip report, our trip ended with a 4 night Dream cruise, and we did this. We got milk chocolate, and as robin said, there were nuts, or potential nuts, everywhere in the toppings.

Plus, they take your stuff away to harden, and since you're not watching over it it's possible someone else's creations shedding nuts onto yours. You use marked trays and your letter is kept track of, but still. Also the chocolate bar trays aren't washed, for reasons they give during the tour, but are rather polished...probably scary for a nut allergy.

I would probably check out their website and maybe email them about allergies and ingredients, and if their to-be-purchased items are safe for you, head over there as a purchaser, not a tour-er? The tour felt long and E was pretty squirmy by the end of it.

And the chocolate (dark) we bought was WAY better than the chocolate we made stuff with.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #55
rtobe
Chocolate, it's not just for breakfast anymore

So glad to see reports about this. Was looking at it for Dec 15 Dream cruise but not sure. I did one in Barcelona through Disney but it was just ok.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #56
bliscum
Mouseketeer

I also booked this for jan cruise.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #57
lpk29
Earning My Ears

Anyone done it yet? Reviews please
lpk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #58
LilacBarries
Mouseketeer

Very Helpful

Glad to see all the positive reports. My husband and I are planning on doing this in September.

My only concern is we're only there from 7:45-1:45 so if we do the tour we wont have much time to see anything else. Anyone done it with the same timeline? We've never been to Nassau so I don't know if we'll be missing out on anything or if i should even be concerned.
LilacBarries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #59
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Here are some pics we took at Graycliff and of the chocolate we made. We had such a great time there.

My husband and daughter

Me and my daughter

Box 1

Box 2

Box 3

Boxes

chocolate bar we made

My daughter and Kiki

Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #60
jkburns
Mouseketeer

Did this LAST WEEK on the Dream.

Simply amazing. Fun. Informative. And DELICIOUS.

A brief tour of the factiry and explanation of the processes. Kiki was really knowledgable and put everyone at ease. Chef Ericka also popped into the group and answered lots of questions.

We had strawberries, nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, marshmellow and a whole bunch of dark chocolate.

Just be aware of the weather and store (or eat!!) as appropriate.

The tour is highly recommended.

Kevin
jkburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: