Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
engle
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,084

You can eat lunch there but you will have to get your own transport back to the ship. It is pretty close....5 minutes by car and the hotel can arrange a taxi for you.
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Jenntx
Mouseketeer
 
Jenntx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 278

We are going on our first (ever) cruise (4 night) this Dec. It is just my DH & I so we were actually planning to stay on the ship on Nassau day. This tour sounds like something that might tempt me to get off the ship.

Since we are too far out to book reservations & excursions - can you tell me - is this a tour you can book through Disney? Or is it a tour you book through the hotel on your own?

Last question...we are planning to bring our three boys in 2014 with us on a cruise. Is the chocolate tour something that would be enjoyed more with kids? Or do you think two adults would enjoy it on our own (we do like chocolate!)?

Thanks for your help!
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
Jenntx
Mouseketeer
 
Jenntx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 278

Did a little "googling" - answered my own question. Should have done that first - sorry. Here is the info from DCL's website if anyone else needs it.

Graycliff Chocolatier – The Art of Chocolate Making and Factory Tour
Duration: 1.5 to 2 hours
Adult Price: $59 (ages 10 and up)
Child Price: $45 (ages 5 to 9)
Ages: 5 And Up
On this tour you will:
Take an approximate 10-minute transfer to the Graycliff Chocolatier at the Graycliff Hotel and Restaurant. Here, you will learn the process of making chocolate – from the bean to the final product.
Take a short tour of the factory where you will see a demonstration of grinding and roasting of cacao beans, mixing the liquid chocolate, filling the chocolate molds and more.
Move to the demonstration room and suit up in your hygienic coveralls. Here, you will learn the origin of regional cacao beans, the importance of promoting fair trade and organic farming and how beans are processed creating the final chocolate product.
Now it's your turn! Graycliff's Chocolatier will teach you techniques for dipping, glazing and filling moulds to create your own delicious chocolate bonbons.
You'll sample a variety of chocolates from white, milk and various levels of dark chocolate.
Leave with a souvenir of your own creations carefully packaged in a Graycliff Chocolatier box.
You will have time to browse the Graycliff Chocolatier boutique, view photos of your tour and pick up your gift boxes before your return transfer to the pier.
Wheelchairs need to be standard size and collapsible; no electric wheelchairs permitted. Guests must be able to walk up and down approximately 30 stairs.
Bags and purses are not allowed into the Chocolate Factory. A storage area for belongings will be available.
Guests who choose to stay at the Graycliff Restaurant will be responsible for their own taxi transportation back to the pier.
Due to limited availability, Guests are encouraged to book early.
Guests are encouraged to bring credit cards or currency to purchase optional extras, such as additional food and beverage or souvenirs.
You should never feel that gratuities are expected from you. However, it is customary to leave a few extra dollars in recognition of service at restaurants, for taxis and for exceptional excursion guides and drivers. It is always up to you as to what you feel is appropriate.

Last edited by Jenntx; 07-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
lilagirl8
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20

Hi! My family did tour in May - here is what I wrote about the excursion last month. Two months later we are still talking about it! Loved it!


Good morning! We just got off the May 12th Dream cruise and did the Chocolate making at The Graycliff. It was so much fun! We left the ship at 10:45ish (the only time), and a van took us to Graycliff. The tour/chocolate making only lasted about 1 1/2 hours. First, the Graycliff itself is beautiful. The chocolate shop has the most amazing chocolates with exotic flavors. Almost too beautiful to eat. You will make your own chocolate while there - which will look NOTHING like the beautiful ones they sell , but taste sooo good. When you are done, they pack your chocolate in a very nice cigar box to take home with you.

We met the Head Chocolatier, Erica, who was a contestant on Top Chef Desserts. She was extremely nice, posed for pics, etc. After the tour, we opted to take the quick walk back to ship ourselves. My only warning is that chocolate and 90 degree weather don't go well together. If you are planning on wandering Nassau to do some shopping, send at least one person back to ship to drop chocolate off!

My understanding is that Disney is the only cruise line that is currently offering the chocolate making as an excursion. This was nice because our tour was made up of just my 6 family members. My mother named the excursion her favorite thing that we did.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
lilagirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
karmacats
Mouseketeer
 
karmacats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NoVa
Posts: 255

I just booked this for the Oct 24 Dream cruise. All of your reviews convinced me.

A couple of things people might find helpful -

the concierge booked it for me and said there was a tour at 10:45, and another at 1:15 or 1:45 (I can't remember now - oops). No one's reported an afternoon tour before, so I wonder if it's a new addition. I booked the morning one anyway, so that I'd have the afternoon to relax on the ship.

Although the description on the Disney site says the tour is 1.5-2 hours, the official times are from 10:45 to 1:45, which is 3 hours. I'll find out how long it really is in Oct, i guess.

And a question for those who have done this before -

Do you think this would be a fun tour for someone doing it on their own? DH and I are usually attached at the hip on vacations, but he is going diving in Nassau, so I'll be by myself. Something similar happened when we went to Alaska (he booked a helicoper tour, but I'm afraid of flying so instead I went on a tour of a ranch where they raise dogs for the Iditarod), and honestly, it was kind of uncomfortable - for example, one of the activities was a sleigh ride with the dogs pulling the sled, and they had everyone go on in pairs, only I had no one to pair with. I was kind of feeling like a pariah. I'm pretty independent normally, and have no problem making friends out of strangers (met a good friend on the bus, and met another good friend in line at the bank ), but for some reason that Alaska kennel trip stuck with me as not very fun.

In any event, excited to see Graycliff and make myself some chocolate!!!
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #21
CatDenver
Mouseketeer
 
CatDenver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 334

I've booked this for our Oct 26 cruise. We were actually contemplating staying on the ship but after reading this thread DH and I decided we'll do this excursion with our 9 and 12 year olds. They're very excited about it. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!
__________________
Catherine

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)




Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #22
engle
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmacats View Post
I just booked this for the Oct 24 Dream cruise. All of your reviews convinced me.

A couple of things people might find helpful -

the concierge booked it for me and said there was a tour at 10:45, and another at 1:15 or 1:45 (I can't remember now - oops). No one's reported an afternoon tour before, so I wonder if it's a new addition. I booked the morning one anyway, so that I'd have the afternoon to relax on the ship.

Although the description on the Disney site says the tour is 1.5-2 hours, the official times are from 10:45 to 1:45, which is 3 hours. I'll find out how long it really is in Oct, i guess.

And a question for those who have done this before -

Do you think this would be a fun tour for someone doing it on their own? DH and I are usually attached at the hip on vacations, but he is going diving in Nassau, so I'll be by myself. Something similar happened when we went to Alaska (he booked a helicoper tour, but I'm afraid of flying so instead I went on a tour of a ranch where they raise dogs for the Iditarod), and honestly, it was kind of uncomfortable - for example, one of the activities was a sleigh ride with the dogs pulling the sled, and they had everyone go on in pairs, only I had no one to pair with. I was kind of feeling like a pariah. I'm pretty independent normally, and have no problem making friends out of strangers (met a good friend on the bus, and met another good friend in line at the bank ), but for some reason that Alaska kennel trip stuck with me as not very fun.

In any event, excited to see Graycliff and make myself some chocolate!!!
You will not feel uncomfortable at all on your own on this one...in fact, you may have MORE fun on your own!! There is no interaction with others per se and the activities are all individual. GO, you will like it!! And your husband will be jealous of your goodies!!

As far as time, it was nearly the 3 hours with travel, etc...
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
karmacats
Mouseketeer
 
karmacats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NoVa
Posts: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
You will not feel uncomfortable at all on your own on this one...in fact, you may have MORE fun on your own!! There is no interaction with others per se and the activities are all individual. GO, you will like it!! And your husband will be jealous of your goodies!!

As far as time, it was nearly the 3 hours with travel, etc...
Thanks for the info!

I figure DH not being there will give me an excuse to buy some chocolate to bring back to the ship. I mean, he needs to taste it, right?!?!?
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 43,276

Thanks for the discussion and description of this!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling
 
wehavesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 984

My hubby and I are going on this excursion in a little less than 2 weeks. I'll let y'all know how it went for us.
__________________
wehavesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran
 
IBelieveInTheMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,911

I have a question please for those that have already done this. I read no purses or bags are allowed inside and they said there was a "storage area" for them. Is the storage area like a safe and locked and secure? I wouldn't feel comfortable just leaving my stuff in a non-secure area so just gauging how safe and secure it would be.

Also - are you allowed to take pictures inside or no, because you aren't allowed to bring anything with you inside?

Thanks,
Heather
__________________
(Me), (DH), (DS)
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*
 
Laura24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!
Posts: 935

Yum

I just booked this excursion also for our OCt. 6 cruise. When I read the description they had me at BON BON!
__________________
The *World* began for me 6/1972
Next applicant for Tinks' position..qualifications? Sure, I can fly!!!
DVC@BWV-*98*
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
lpk29
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
I have a question please for those that have already done this. I read no purses or bags are allowed inside and they said there was a "storage area" for them. Is the storage area like a safe and locked and secure? I wouldn't feel comfortable just leaving my stuff in a non-secure area so just gauging how safe and secure it would be.

Also - are you allowed to take pictures inside or no, because you aren't allowed to bring anything with you inside?

Thanks,
Heather
Anyone know how secure the area is
lpk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!
 
TheRatPack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 5,247

Do you need to eat all your chocolates prior to boarding the ship again? I know their policy is to not let any 'homemade' goods on at any point during the cruise. I'm guessing you're not allowed to bring on chocolates you made on the tour, but maybe pre-packaged chocolates you buy on the tour?
__________________

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 43,276

The person from this thread who did the tour said "If you are planning on wandering Nassau to do some shopping, send at least one person back to ship to drop chocolate off!"

It's not made at a home; it's made at a factory. And it's through DCL. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say they let you bring it on.
__________________

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: