Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

What's you favorite local restaurant?

Ours is Golden Harvest in our Old Town neighborhood. It's a hole-in-the-wall with 7 tables and 9 counter stools. They serve nothing but breakfast and they close at 2:30 PM. TripAdvisor rates it the #1 Restaurant in Lansing.

You wait outside, no one takes your name. The crowd polices itself and there is often over an hour wait.

Once inside your senses are treated to wall covered with kitsch, loud and often obscene music, and terrible old movies Like Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill, on a corner television. Hipsters, tattoos and other body alterations abound. It is very gay friendly. Signs on the wall say be nice or leave and they mean it. They do not suffer fools gladly. But if you ARE nice you are family and will be welcomed by name when you return.

The food is out of this world with the menu designed around whatever is fresh at the farmer's market. The owners are the chef his Wife the head waitress.

We're lucky to have this little gem.

Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
etoiles
DIS Veteran

I wish I had photos to share like you do but their website will have to do. My favorite local restaurant is Flat Top Grill. They are starting to branch out into other states but since it started locally in my area I'll consider it a local restaurant.

It has some similarities to a Mongolian stir fry restaurant but is 1,000 times better.

You get a bowl and fill it with noodles or rice and veggies. There are a ton of options. My favorite veggies are the edamame, corn, stir fry mix and spinach. If you are vegetarian like I am there are also vegetarian protein options such as quorn and seitan. Even DH who is not vegetarian likes these!

Then you add your sauce and there are many different ones to choose from, mostly Asian inspired. If you wish you can add raw meat, poultry, or seafood in a separate bowl (they cook it first before the veggies).

The thing that makes it really special are the sticks you add to your stir fry. If you don't put a stick they cook it like a normal stir fry but you can add a stick and they will turn your food into a soup, lettuce wraps, or mooshu. You can also get special extras with the sticks such as a delicious flat bread, cheese, eggs, or tofu added to your stir fry.

I love that I can pick what I want and get exactly that. Vegetarians or people with allergies can also have their food cooked separately but it will still taste great which is a wonderful feature.

We don't wake up that early but if you do they do a nice breakfast/brunch which you can customize omelets, egg scrambles, pancakes or waffles which are tasty as well.

Me:
DH:
DS (1):
etoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

These sound amazing!

My favorite (kind of) local restaurant is Mellow Mushroom Pizza Bakers! They are in the southeast and each one is an independent franchise. They feature artisan pizzas, craft beers, and rock memorabilia along with lots of groovy additions. I am soooooooooo addicted!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

An Italian place called Paravicini, they make the most awesome Penne Alla Vodka, and their Mozzarella Fitti is to die for! I also love they have an outdoor patio where people can eat if they have dogs!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
superme80
DIS Veteran

Mine is a local burger joint. They honestly have the best burgers I have every tasted in my life. Their fries are awesome too. DH's friend came over and we got take out the one night. He ordered the garlic fries and left the remainders for us. After we walked him to the door I heard a crashing sound. DS #2, who was about 19 months at the time, yanked them off the table and started chowing down. They are that good!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

My fave place closed a few years ago. We still whine about it whenever we drive past.

I do love Pizza Luce...not sure if its a national chain, but it's so good, so veg friendly, and they have an amazing bloody mary bar on weekends

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Los Cabos in Washington, Missouri - Mexican, as you can probably guess. Hardly anyone there speaks much English which is always a good sign for a Mexican place
Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

hmm-Jake and Telly's Greek Taverna-or across the street from them Pizzaria Rustica. and for fun they are both about two blocks from Scrappy Tinks Paravincini's. And there are at least half a dozen more awesome local joints in a six block run on that same street-Colorado Ave in the Old Colorado City section of Colorado Springs.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

The Apollo Grill in Bethlehem PA. Great menu, great martinis, fantastic appetizer list, amazing desserts. Always consistent. A little pricey, but our "go to" special ocassion place. We have tried other places, but we always say we should have gone to the Apollo!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

My favorite hometown place is Sullivans in Fredonia NY best curly frys ever.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sullivans-charbroil-fredonia

Favorite place here is the Tap House in Hampton Va
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

One more favorite hometown place http://www.pdubs.com/

I need wings too
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
Maridw
DisneyMom to Disneylover0105
Love to Dance
Tinkerbell Fan

Mine is Tom's Hot Dogs. They have 6 tables (about 18 seats), plus about 9 or 10 stools inside. They also have a small table for two and one that seats about 4 outside. They have the best hot dogs in town.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-...s/213167680860

View from the front door.

Wall before they repainted. We had two license plates on the wall.

My DD and my GDD sitting out front. The front of the restaurant goes just barely past where my picture ends.

They have a meal deal for just over $5 for a hot dog, chips and a drink. They had a card where if you bought 9 dogs, you got the 10th free. They just changed to Spot On reward system.
DL yearly 1969-78, Dec 99, Jul 04, Sept 06, Apr 07 FW 1972 SoG Nov 95, Jun 97, Jul 99, Nov 01 AS Sports Resort - Nov 2000; Apr & Nov 02; Mar & May 03; May & Oct 04, Apr 06 Coronado Springs Resort - Nov 03 Pop Century Mar/Apr, May, & Nov 05, Jan 06, Dec 11, Dec 12 Celebration World Resort Nov/Dec 09

It's A Girl - Natalie Grace! 4 years old now! Our dancing baby!

Maridw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Jafar30
Mouseketeer

A local Mexican restaurant called Botanas
Jafar30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
My favorite hometown place is Sullivans in Fredonia NY best curly frys ever.

Favorite place here is the Tap House in Hampton Va
Nope...Best curly fries are at Jumpin' Jacks in Scotia NY. Plus you can get a Dole Whip!
http://jumpinjacksdriveininc.com/

I am still learning about the local places here and mostly DH and I do fast food if we're out together, otherwise we eat at home.

ETA- I need to Jumpin' Jacks today. The Dole Whip flavor is Orange Pineapple. MY FAVE!
Mike's First Prize is one of the best hotdog places I have ever been to and they get SUPER busy over the lunch hour.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
Nope...Best curly fries are at Jumpin' Jacks in Scotia NY. Plus you can get a Dole Whip!
http://jumpinjacksdriveininc.com/

I am still learning about the local places here and mostly DH and I do fast food if we're out together, otherwise we eat at home.

ETA- I need to Jumpin' Jacks today. The Dole Whip flavor is Orange Pineapple. MY FAVE!
Mike's First Prize is one of the best hotdog places I have ever been to and they get SUPER busy over the lunch hour.
I haven't been there is years, and I do remember their fries! They were good, but the best fries in the Capital District (IMHO) are the ones from The South End Tavern in Troy.

Our favorite restaurant here is a local Mexican place. We've tried others but none of them compare.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: