Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #46
dyna
DIS Veteran

It usually does not bother me but a couple of yrs ago I did a dinner for awake of a neighbor who had passed away. Her soon whom I grew up with an we was never ever fond of one another wanted to call me HONEY AN SWEETHEART all the sudden. I'm sure it's a habit he's picked up being an insurance salesman but I looked at him an reminded him who I was an that thought even less of him now than I did when we was kids.

I was there to do a huge favor for my mother by doing the dinner not the family of the deceased.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #47
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Depends on the person but I have one friend who calls me honey all the time. Can not stand it. I've asked her to stop. She doesn't. When she says it, it is absolutely condescending. It has significantly effected our friendship. In fact I've greatly distanced myself.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post

Ma'am is SO not a term of respect where I am from- it is the opposite!
Ditto here. It's usually accompanied by a 1-finger salute behind the back.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #49
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
I only dislike being called honey or sweetie when I'm in an argument. For example, if I'm on the phone with a company and we're having some kind of disagreement and the young lady on the phone calls me honey condescendingly, I get mad. Other than that, I don't really mind.
I swear LLD, you must be walking around in my brain. I was just about to post the same sentiments, when I was like "crap, I better go back and read all of the responses before I post, in case someone shares my same opinion". Low and behold, there you are! LOL.

So yeah, what LLD said!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #50
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazee View Post
I think it's sort of a "fad thing". I have lived in the southern U.S. all my life, and no one ever used to call casual acquaintances and strangers "sweetie" around here. In fact, the only time I heard this word used in casual, non-intimate settings was in TV and movies where they were trying to fake a southern accent and dialect.
Can't speak for where you live, and don't know where it is, but it definitely isn't a fad in south LA. It is as deeply ingrained in our conversations as *y'all*. I love it, doesn't bother me a bit. There are certainly worse things to be called

Agree, it's not an appropriate professor/student exchange. Never heard of that before. Sounds like someone trying to be cutesy and failing.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #51
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Can't speak for where you live, and don't know where it is, but it definitely isn't a fad in south LA. It is as deeply ingrained in our conversations as *y'all*. I love it, doesn't bother me a bit. There are certainly worse things to be called

Agree, it's not an appropriate professor/student exchange. Never heard of that before. Sounds like someone trying to be cutesy and failing.
Nor a fad in NE or Middle TN. I have heard it since we started visiting colleges around here... and I graduated high school in 2000 to give you an idea as to how long it has been.

Though I do agree it is inappropriate for a student to say it to their professor. Just like it would be inappropriate for an employee to say it to their boss.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #52
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Count me in as someone who it doesn't bother. I myself use those phrases once in a while.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
gracie1
DIS Veteran

It doesn't bother me at all. I actually like it. I also work in an environment with all men contractors and I am the only female. I get called sweet pea, sunshine, sweetie, honey, baby doll. Of course I like those names much better than some other ones that I have been called!! Lol
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #54
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I'm not a fan of it sweetie, honey, etc. I remember being called that as a kid when I went to have my hair cut and the receptionist would call me sweetie with a very syrupy southern accent. Ick.

I do think it bothers me less from an older person. I am a fan of ma'am and I use it often--whether you are 6 or 96.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #55
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I hate when servers refer to you as honey, sweetie, darlin, etc. I had one at lunch today and I wanted to slap her. (It probably didn't help that I was on a 45 minute hold with the IRS. )

But in all seriousness, why do they do that? I know I can't be the only one that hates it. It's not endearing, its annoying!
You being on the phone was probably super annoying to her too..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #56
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I don't mind I think it is sweet.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #57
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife

I swear LLD, you must be walking around in my brain. I was just about to post the same sentiments, when I was like "crap, I better go back and read all of the responses before I post, in case someone shares my same opinion". Low and behold, there you are! LOL.

So yeah, what LLD said!
Great minds think alike, LYL!

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #58
KMarston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2

Ma'am is SO not a term of respect where I am from- it is the opposite!
That is so funny to me. Our kids are taught to say ma'am and sir out of respect. When my son visits my sister-in-law in MD it drives her nuts that he says it. She thinks he sounds brainwashed! I think my nieces and nephews sound impudent. Worse my youngest sister and I can hardly stand to eat put with them because they come across rude to us. If my kids answered a server with, "yeah", I'd have a stroke. Yes please, yes ma'am, yes thank you. Even the adults don't do it! My sister and I laugh because we find ourselves over compensating for them!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #59
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

The only time it wouldn't bother me to be called sweetie, honey, or any other term like that is if it came out of the mouth of an elderly person. A coworker of mine uses those words when she speaks to people. It's very unprofessional. I think terms of endearment should not be used in the work place.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #60
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMarston View Post
That is so funny to me. Our kids are taught to say ma'am and sir out of respect. When my son visits my sister-in-law in MD it drives her nuts that he says it. She thinks he sounds brainwashed! I think my nieces and nephews sound impudent. Worse my youngest sister and I can hardly stand to eat put with them because they come across rude to us. If my kids answered a server with, "yeah", I'd have a stroke. Yes please, yes ma'am, yes thank you. Even the adults don't do it! My sister and I laugh because we find ourselves over compensating for them!
My kids too. To me, yes ma'am is much more respectful than yeah.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: