Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #31
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
That is my #1 pet peeve. I do not know you, I am not your sweetie, honey, darling, etc..this happens all the time here with cashiers, waitresses, female workers in stores etc. I wish it would stop!
It won't!
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
They don't mean anything bad by it, so I accept as a friendly greeting. I save my outrage for comments people make that are intended to hurt or put others down in any way.
I agree with this
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #33
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
I don't care if someone calls me sweetie, honey, dear or mam - whatever! If they are being nice I'll accept whatever the term is for what it's worth - a friendly and welcoming endearment!
The things people get offended or bothered by astounds me!
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #34
almburr
DIS Veteran

I don't have a problem with it at all. Here the older folks tend to say it to the younger ones.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
They don't mean anything bad by it, so I accept as a friendly greeting. I save my outrage for comments people make that are intended to hurt or put others down in any way.
That's how I try to view things. Intent means a lot more to me. If someone is trying to be kind, polite, considerate, or any other positive thing, I really don't care what they call me - I won't be bothered by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMarston View Post
I'm not a server but I use to nurse. I call everyone honey or sweetheart or some variation! I didn't realize it would offend anyone! Being from the south its bot unusual. I don't however like dear! I have a friend who was raised in Jersey and she does it to be condescending!
I'm pretty used to it, myself. Don't really get offended by it as I know that they aren't trying to offend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
I don't care if someone calls me sweetie, honey, dear or mam - whatever! If they are being nice I'll accept whatever the term is for what it's worth - a friendly and welcoming endearment!
The things people get offended or bothered by astounds me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Ma'am is SO not a term of respect where I am from- it is the opposite!
Well where I come from, it most definitely is a sign of respect. At least, when we are taught to say it, we are taught to say it as a sign of respect. As long as a person is trying to be respectful, I don't really care what they call me. Intent means much more to me than the actual words.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Laura66
DIS Veteran

Also been called Sugar and Girlfriend and HoneyChild and Mama! Didn't have a problem with those either!
I actually kind of enjoy how different areas and cultures great or talk to me!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #37
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

I only dislike being called honey or sweetie when I'm in an argument. For example, if I'm on the phone with a company and we're having some kind of disagreement and the young lady on the phone calls me honey condescendingly, I get mad. Other than that, I don't really mind.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #38
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I'll be the odd man out. It has never bothered me when people use terms of endearment. To me, it's just a habit they've picked up and they don't mean anything bad by it.

There is a young lady who works at the cancer center where I've been having my chemo treatments. She always calls me sweetheart when she asks me how I'm feeling that day. It actually makes me feel good. I think she really cares. I can think of a lot worse things to get uptight about than having someone refer to me with a nice term.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
karriemouse
Official Disney Cruise Addict

Location: Manchester, UK or Windsor Hills, Orlando or on a plane between the two!

Here in the UK we don't use Ma'am as much so it did used to make me feel old until I got used to it. Now I prefer it to Sweetie, Hun etc.

However in a regional UK thing (but not where we live) my mother calls close family 'duck' which always leaves DD13 muttering 'I am NOT a duck'!!

Me DH DD(20) DD(14)
karriemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #40
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

It's a Southern thang and I'm not offended. I can think of much worse..
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #41
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
I'd rather be called sweetie than ma'am. That makes me feel old and I'm only 43.
Just wait until you get the senior discount and they don't even ask!
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

I think it's sort of a "fad thing". I have lived in the southern U.S. all my life, and no one ever used to call casual acquaintances and strangers "sweetie" around here. In fact, the only time I heard this word used in casual, non-intimate settings was in TV and movies where they were trying to fake a southern accent and dialect.

Then, for some reason, a few years ago young women started saying it to virtually everyone. I think they bought the fake southern thing on TV and thought it was cool or cute to say it.

I am a college professor and, believe it or not, sometimes my students call me sweetie! As in..."Thanks for giving me an extension on that paper, sweetie". It really feels disrespectful and inappropriate to me. I never would have called my professors sweetie - it wasn't done when I was a student, thank goodness. It's ridiculous.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #43
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazee View Post
I think it's sort of a "fad thing". I have lived in the southern U.S. all my life, and no one ever used to call casual acquaintances and strangers "sweetie" around here. In fact, the only time I heard this word used in casual, non-intimate settings was in TV and movies where they were trying to fake a southern accent and dialect.

Then, for some reason, a few years ago young women started saying it to virtually everyone. I think they bought the fake southern thing on TV and thought it was cool or cute to say it.

I am a college professor and, believe it or not, sometimes my students call me sweetie! As in..."Thanks for giving me an extension on that paper, sweetie". It really feels disrespectful and inappropriate to me. I never would have called my professors sweetie - it wasn't done when I was a student, thank goodness. It's ridiculous.
That is outrageous. Did you talk to them about it?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #44
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
That is outrageous. Did you talk to them about it?
I didn't the first time it happened because I was so shocked and I really didn't want to hurt the student's feelings, but now I have a standard response that I use to let them know that it's not appropriate...I smile nicely and in a very polite tone I say....

"You're very nice to call me that, but I think it's best if you refer to me as Dr. xxxxxx since that's what the other students call me."

Hopefully, this gets the point across without me offending them. I know they are just trying to be nice, but they need to know that it's not always appropriate to use these terms.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #45
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=dizcrazee;47949639]I think it's sort of a "fad thing". I have lived in the southern U.S. all my life, and no one ever used to call casual acquaintances and strangers "sweetie" around here. In fact, the only time I heard this word used in casual, non-intimate settings was in TV and movies where they were trying to fake a southern accent and dialect.

I am a college professor and, believe it or not, sometimes my students call me sweetie! As in..."Thanks for giving me an extension on that paper, sweetie". It really feels disrespectful and inappropriate to me. I never would have called my professors sweetie - it wasn't done when I was a student, thank goodness. It's ridiculous.[/QUOT

Saying it to your college professor is totally inappropriate. This from someone who has no problem with the term as long as it is meant in a nice way.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: