Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
katy621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
They don't mean anything bad by it, so I accept as a friendly greeting. I save my outrage for comments people make that are intended to hurt or put others down in any way.
My parents were born & raised in the midwest, so I'm pretty used to hearing hon, sweetie, etc... I also agree with what Acklander said.

katy621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I hate when servers refer to you as honey, sweetie, darlin, etc. I had one at lunch today and I wanted to slap her. (It probably didn't help that I was on a 45 minute hold with the IRS. )

But in all seriousness, why do they do that? I know I can't be the only one that hates it. It's not endearing, its annoying!
Don't come down south then. It's a way of life here, and we all love it! Ma'm & Sir is too!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

I swear I was going to post this exact thread the other day. Then I said to myself "the Dis (among others) will call me a cranky old lady"! It does irritate me a little when someone much younger call me sweetie. But then again, a few years ago "Mam" bothered me because it made me feel old maybe we should all wear nametags

The tag fairy loves me

snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapppyd
I swear I was going to post this exact thread the other day. Then I said to myself "the Dis (among others) will call me a cranky old lady"! It does irritate me a little when someone much younger call me sweetie. But then again, a few years ago "Mam" bothered me because it made me feel old maybe we should all wear nametags
Yes, I would much rather be called sweetie then ma'am.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
keypooh90
Lovatic

It doesn't bother me, but it intrigues me. I'm 22 but look much much younger (like early teens). I'm also a seasonal cast member at Epcot. The thing that is funny to me is when I am not working, I get called "honey, miss, sweetie, darling, princess) and even get asked if I need kid"s menus when working out, but when I'm in costume it's "ma'm, mrs.,)
Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
EmJay2001
Mouseketeer

LOL, I am in line with some of the other posters. I don't mind it at all but do find it a bit awkward when someone much much younger calls me Hon.

I have never been Ma'am'ed as much as when we went to the Bahamas last month. Kind of grows on you . My son really annoyed me shortly after returning when I told him to sweep the kitchen floor with excessive complaining (end of the world kind of complaining, suck it up, it is only sweeping the floor). I told him to just say "Yes ma'am", stop talking and do it! There is something to be said for a little respect :P.
EmJay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
disykat
DIS Veteran

I never understand how these threads always manage to compare sweetie to ma'am. Ma'am is a term of respect, Sweetie is a term of endearment.

I don't mind strangers using a term of respect to me, but can't stand it when strangers use a term of endearment to me.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

Well I'm from the South and being sweetied and honeyed bugs me too, double from people younger than me. But what REALLY bugs me is being called "young lady" by younger men. They think it's flirty, I think it's weird.
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurafergie View Post
Well I'm from the South and being sweetied and honeyed bugs me too, double from people younger than me. But what REALLY bugs me is being called "young lady" by younger men. They think it's flirty, I think it's weird.
One of my 'co-workers' calls me "kiddo". I guess he doesn't know I'm 40.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Laura66
DIS Veteran

I don't care if someone calls me sweetie, honey, dear or mam - whatever! If they are being nice I'll accept whatever the term is for what it's worth - a friendly and welcoming endearment!
The things people get offended or bothered by astounds me!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I never understand how these threads always manage to compare sweetie to ma'am. Ma'am is a term of respect, Sweetie is a term of endearment.

I don't mind strangers using a term of respect to me, but can't stand it when strangers use a term of endearment to me.
Ma'am is SO not a term of respect where I am from- it is the opposite!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

I hate being called "girls," especially when said by a man--it's so enormously condescending. I was out with my mother (who feels more strongly about this than I do), and a waiter half her age said, "What are you girls having today," and I thought she would smack him with her menu.

Last edited by TinkerBelled; 03-29-2013 at 03:26 PM.
TinkerBelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Ma'am is SO not a term of respect where I am from- it is the opposite!

Since you didn't post your location I'll have to take your word for it. However, I bet your bottom dollar there are plenty of people from the same place you are who would have a different opinion.

Opinions like this are usually more generational than regional.

I'm from the West Coast and "ma'am" isn't used often here. I have heard it used respectfully, and I've heard it used sarcastically. I've even used it both ways myself. However it remains by definition a term of respect.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
tasha99
DIS Veteran

It's kind of weird, but it bothers me a lot more when a young woman calls me "hun." It's irritating because I think it's age related (even though it might not be.) It doesn't bother me as much if a guy does that, though it probably should. I assume any man who calls a woman he doesn't know hun, probably does that universally.

Ma'am doesn't bother me at all--I'm in my 40's. When someone calls me "Miss," I think they're sucking up.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I hate when servers refer to you as honey, sweetie, darlin, etc. I had one at lunch today and I wanted to slap her. (It probably didn't help that I was on a 45 minute hold with the IRS. )

But in all seriousness, why do they do that? I know I can't be the only one that hates it. It's not endearing, its annoying!
That is my #1 pet peeve. I do not know you, I am not your sweetie, honey, darling, etc..this happens all the time here with cashiers, waitresses, female workers in stores etc. I wish it would stop!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: