Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
wvjules
DIS Veteran

And don't call me sweetie

I hate when servers refer to you as honey, sweetie, darlin, etc. I had one at lunch today and I wanted to slap her. (It probably didn't help that I was on a 45 minute hold with the IRS. )

But in all seriousness, why do they do that? I know I can't be the only one that hates it. It's not endearing, its annoying!
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Help, Please!
Mouseketeer

Drives my mom crazy, too! lol! Doesn't bother me, down here in the south I think it's just a friendly term.
Help, Please! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

My aunt does it to be condescending. So we find snarky "endearing" terms to respond to her with (her son and I).
Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Doesn't bother me if they call me honey or sweetie.

I know it does bother some folks, but for some reason, not me.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Acklander
DIS Veteran

They don't mean anything bad by it, so I accept as a friendly greeting. I save my outrage for comments people make that are intended to hurt or put others down in any way.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
KMarston
Mouseketeer

I'm not a server but I use to nurse. I call everyone honey or sweetheart or some variation! I didn't realize it would offend anyone! Being from the south its bot unusual. I don't however like dear! I have a friend who was raised in Jersey and she does it to be condescending!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Laura66
DIS Veteran

Doesn't bother me at all!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

It bothers me when a person younger than me calls me sweetie. It does not bother me when an older person calls me that.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Never said that they meant anything bad by it. However, it still annoys me. Stick with Sir or Ma'am. No need to be all cutesy with me. I'm a customer.

And yes, I'm aware I'm well on my way to being a crotchety old lady.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

I'd rather be called sweetie than ma'am. That makes me feel old and I'm only 43.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

For servers its a knee jerk reaction for some to be "overly nice." Others I think its just an annoying habit people get into, but I agree its like nails on a chalk board for me too. Now if its a hot girl that I'm really attracted to, then I can deal with it. But in the other situation

A gas station I go to lady calls everyone sweetie, and another I see calls everyone baby, like 5 times in one sentence, which is a bit much. Ok baby, not a problem baby, ok baby see you next time baby. OK I got it after the first baby.

But I do like it when Sacha Baron Cohen does the Dictator and calls girls sugar _______ that's pretty funny.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
It bothers me when a person younger than me calls me sweetie. It does not bother me when an older person calls me that.
Maybe that's what annoyed me. She was much younger. I also don't mind when an older server calls me sweetie, darlin, etc either.

My mom calls servers sweetie, darlin, dear, etc. It drives me insane too! lol
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I don't like it either but I do think it is a Southern thing. One thing I find very ironic about southerners is that the same people who insist their children call them "ma'am" and "sir" often think nothing of calling strangers 'sweetie', or 'darling'. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way because I live in the south....I just think it's funny.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!

Last edited by KimR; 03-29-2013 at 12:44 PM.
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
I'd rather be called sweetie than ma'am. That makes me feel old and I'm only 43.
I agree---hey I would rather be called sweetie, honey or even idiot over being Ma'am'd LOL--that is the ultimate insult!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

It usually doesn't bother me unless it's excessive. My first mother-in-law was way excessive with use use of endearments.

One young waitress at a place we often have breakfast at always greets me with a "good morning, Sunshine"! It's sort of a running joke because she knows I'm not a morning person. It's a small place and we're all friendly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: