Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
CattailGal
Mouseketeer

Cuban restaurant?

Any recommendations?

TIA,

KC
CattailGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
jctwizzer
DIS Veteran

we liked Bongo's ....but then, we're not experts on
Cuban by any means
jctwizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I'm Cuban American living in Miami,so I have to know about Cuban restaurants,however when I go to Orlando I'm not searching them out as I get enough of them here.As far as Bongo's goes,I've never eaten in the restaurant mainly because I tried their Medianoche sandwich in their take out window which is the same as a Cuban sandwich in a sweeter egg bread and it was clearly the worst medianoche sandwich I've ever had,even a little hole in the wall place down here makes one 20X better.I'm sure the inside restaurant has to have somewhat better food than that sandwich I had in the take out window otherwise I can't imagine how they've been open for so long.The other Cuban places in the area that I know of are the Columbia restaurant in Celebration which is a Spanish/Cuban place that's been around for over 100 years with the first one located in Tampa's Ybor City neighborhood.I've eaten at the Columbia restaurant in Celebration and St.Augustine and I have nothing bad to say about it.Again it's a Spanish/Cuban mix so not everything on the menu is pure Cuban,it's also more upscale when compared to the typical Cuban places you have in Miami like La Carreta,Versailles and Sergio's,so be prepared to spend more.Another place I've seen but not eaten in the Orlando area is Cuba Libre in Pointe Orlando on International Drive by the convention center,I have no knowledge about this place just letting you know it exists.There's been other posts before asking this same question and some locals have mentioned a place up in Casselberry which is away from the tourist areas.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
CattailGal
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the suggestions. We're "Miami natives", now living in Tenn. DH is of Cuban heritage. We miss the Cuban food!!

KC
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
royaltybuff
Earning My Ears

http://cubalibrerestaurant.com/i/orlando/

Cuba Libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattailGal View Post
Any recommendations?

TIA,

KC
royaltybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
sgtdisney
DIS Veteran

We had some good meals at Padrino's Cuban Bistro. You would probably need a car to drive there, as it's east of Disney off of John Young Pkwy, but it is very highly rated on Tripadvisor, for a reason. Night and day compared to Bongo's which used to be good many years ago, but lately has been lack lustre. Never tried Cuba Libre, may need to try that sometime althogh it looks to be more expensive than Padrino's. http://www.padrinosbistro.com/home.htm
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
deej696
They say the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime, but I tried to make it at home....There's more to it than that!

I would rank Columbia above Cuba Libre or Bongo's. My one meal at Cuba Libre was pretty lackluster, and the latter is Disney's version of Cuban....

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.
deej696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
delilah
DIS Veteran

We are also fans of the Columbia restaurant. My husband is Cuban, and from Ybor city, and actually, the founders of the Columbia restaurant were friends of his father.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Bongos = our worst restaurant meal ever! Everything came lukewarm off of a steam table. Yech!

Not Cuban, but have seen a couple of recommendations for Tropifongo (Puerto Rican) takeout place at 3160 Vineland. Have been carrying around the address for years, but still haven't made it there.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran

I agree that Bongo's is NOT good, we get better and more authentic cuban at the mall food court in Tampa, and actually had better by far in Omaha, NE! Bongo's may have been decent at one time, but when we went last year it was dry, lukewarm meat from sitting out, and virtually no seasoning; the only good thing for my 12 year old whose birthday dinner it was, was that they served Iron Beer, which she dearly loves, LOL.

& Lucky
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote