Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
maslex
DIS Veteran

FitBit vs. Pedometer?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a FitBit. I've compared the different kinds and thing I might be interested in either the FitBit One or the FitBit Flex.

Aside from tracking sleep, stairs, alarms and being able to sync up with the computers, etc...is it really anything different than a pedometer? Is it really just a glorified pedometer?

I've had pedometers in the past and I've probably bought really cheap ones that don't track steps very well. I'd use it for like a week or two and then just toss it to the side.

What do find so different from a regular ole pedometer to your FitBit? And would you get the One or the Flex? Why?
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting a FitBit. I've compared the different kinds and thing I might be interested in either the FitBit One or the FitBit Flex.

Aside from tracking sleep, stairs, alarms and being able to sync up with the computers, etc...is it really anything different than a pedometer? Is it really just a glorified pedometer?

I've had pedometers in the past and I've probably bought really cheap ones that don't track steps very well. I'd use it for like a week or two and then just toss it to the side.

What do find so different from a regular ole pedometer to your FitBit? And would you get the One or the Flex? Why?
IMO the FitBit is more accurate than a pedometer (at least for me). I like it more and have used it more than a pedometer.

I have the One. I used the sleep tracker once. It was just a novelty for me. Didn't need it. I think I would have been fine with the Zip.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
maslex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
IMO the FitBit is more accurate than a pedometer (at least for me). I like it more and have used it more than a pedometer.

I have the One. I used the sleep tracker once. It was just a novelty for me. Didn't need it. I think I would have been fine with the Zip.
Yeah, I don't think I'll use the sleep tracker at all. Just doesn't interest me. So maybe I should look into the Zip? I mean, it is cheaper...
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
OceanAnnie

Here is a product comparison of the 3.

https://www.fitbit.com/product

Knowing how I use it now, I could've saved myself $40. But you live and learn.

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
maslex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
Here is a product comparison of the 3.

https://www.fitbit.com/product

Knowing how I use it now, I could've saved myself $40. But you live and learn.
Yep, this is the site that I was using for the comparisons. Originally, I was going between the One and the Flex but for $40 cheaper, the Zip is looking more promising.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
OceanAnnie

I just glanced at the site. Can you use the Zip to connect the information to other websites? At one time I was tracking my progress with Sparkpeople and that was a nice feature.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
TigersLions
Mouseketeer

Yes, if you are just looking to count your steps, you might just want a pedeometer. For me, I use my Force to track my sleep (goal is 7.5 hours per day and it is a struggle), remind me to get up at work and walk (I have a desk job), get my 10K steps in, and climb the stairs. I use it to track my other exercise as well. It has a great dashboard online and I like seeing my friends and ranking them against me and cheering them on. Also, I like to earn badges. Can't wait to see what happens when I go to Disney at the end of the month!

Disney Pinterest Board

WDW 1: August 2010 - PH - Port Orleans Riverside
WDW 2: December 2012 - PH - Wilderness Cabins
WDW 3: August 2014 - PH - Saratoga Springs
TigersLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

I have the fitbit zip one... my son bought it for me and I love it...I also had other pedometers..and this is the best..when we were in Disney this past May..I put it in my pocket of my cross body bag and it kept perfect time and steps and miles and how many calories we burned off..

I made sure it was right on ..so when I walk here..I did a google earth search of the track I take and it was right on with my fit bit..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
maslex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersLions View Post
Yes, if you are just looking to count your steps, you might just want a pedeometer. For me, I use my Force to track my sleep (goal is 7.5 hours per day and it is a struggle), remind me to get up at work and walk (I have a desk job), get my 10K steps in, and climb the stairs. I use it to track my other exercise as well. It has a great dashboard online and I like seeing my friends and ranking them against me and cheering them on. Also, I like to earn badges. Can't wait to see what happens when I go to Disney at the end of the month!
So do you know if you're able to see your friends & rank them against you with the Zip?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

I have a good quality pedometer which not only clips to my waistband but has a second safety clip in case one gets pulled loose, which has happened. It needs to be pretty much upright to work. It does not sync to anything. Batteries need to be replaced at intervals. I found I would sometimes forget to put it on when going for a walk, and I never wore it all day.

I got a Fitbit One recently. It's small and securely clips to whatever I am wearing as soon as I get dressed in the morning. I thought the largest bracelet style for the Flex would be too tight on me, and I didn't want a sweaty bracelet anyway. With the One clipped on, no chance of knocking it loose. (I have a little zippered bag on a necklace, like a pass holder, to put it in when I'm not wearing it or when I'm not wearing something suitable to clip it to (on the way to the showers, for example).) It syncs my steps and stairs climbed to my phone and my computer all day long. It even counts stairs for the hills in the neighborhood! There's a Fitbit dashboard, but I can also connect to other apps such as MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople.

You can join with friends, but I have yet to use that feature.

I have yet to use the sleep feature (as the CPAP is enough to deal with). I have yet to record my blood glucose readings and food intake in it, although I can and will. The one time I forgot to move the One from nightwear to exercise clothes, I was able to enter my activity into the app and it gave me credit for that.

The Fitbit is much more than a pedometer. It provides graphical representations of how much I'm doing over the course of the day on an hour by hour basis, and I can go back and look at previous days for comparison. It will help me make sure I get the exercise I need as a diabetic. I'm glad I finally got this.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I have had a lot of fun with my FitBit, I think it is called Flex. It is the approx $100 one from Walmart. I have halfway learned to use the sleep function, which that is almost as useful as the rest of it because I was totally curious how I sleep. The rest of it, I like to check regularly to see how active I have been during the day and the distance I have covered.

Another helpful hint... hate to bring it up, but if you soak the band in a solution of apple cider vinegar/water while you are charging the little electronic part.... you will like your Fitbit much better.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:08 AM   #12
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post

A regular pedometer mehh. A fitbit

I have the one (my 3rd one, I've worn 2 out). I am working on being a runner so I use all the functions including the stopwatch function. I really love the information you get off the dashboard and am always trying to better myself. I am a nurse and can't wear anything on my wrists (I work ICU) but can put the one on my bra strap and no one is any wiser. Well except for the 4 other nurse I work with who have them and are always trying to see who has the most steps each day.

DH has the ZIP and loves it. He doesn't care about anything but steps, distance and calories. He also is not great about charging his cell phone until it is really dead so the fact that the ZIP runs on a watch battery and lasts almost a year (for him) is an advantage.

We compete with each other, and friends, on several websites. You won't be disappointed in either the ONE or ZIP.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
xlxo
Mouseketeer

I've had the Fitbit One for 5 months and love it.
  • I choose the Fitbit One to be more discrete
  • I found the Fitbit One more accurate when worn in a pant pocket instead of a shirt pocket. In my shirt pocket the body absorbs 20 to 30% of my movements when I go out for walks
  • there are smartphone apps that track your movements too. I've also been testing NoomWalk
  • Love the sleep tracking function as I'm a workaholic and internet addict.
  • be careful of the bracelet, some people have chemical reactions. Their Force product was recalled because of nickel issues.
  • stairs is kinda cute
  • I also bought the Aria scale
  • Not everyone has a Terry Tate. Watch the upcoming PavLock fitness band which offers positive reminders to help you meet your goals.
    http://pavlok.com/
xlxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
SarahWeasley
Mouseketeer

I had the Fitbit Zip, and it was great. So much easier than the pedometers I've tried in the past but never used. All you have to do is wear it -- no fiddling around with tiny buttons trying to figure out settings, resets, etc. And yeah, you can link to other people and track yourself against them.

That being said, I lost my Fitbit about a month ago, after owning it for maybe 14 months. (In retrospect I'm pretty sure I dropped it next to my car in a city neighborhood I never normally go to, so I considered it a lost cause.) And so far I haven't replaced it, and I think I'm probably not going to, because I was getting kind of bored with tracking my steps. But I used it faithfully for over a year. I especially liked using it on our vacations to Spain and the UK, when we were walking around all day; it was fun to rack up some really high numbers.
SarahWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
kwheel
Earning My Ears

I just ordered fit bit. This is great info!
kwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: