Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
amg35
DIS Veteran

Exclamation My Amazon account was hacked!

I happened to be in my Yahoo email today and got a message from Amazon telling me that my email change was successful blah blah blah...went to the site and sure enough, my email address wasn't working anymore!

And when I went to the site on my other computer, it said "welcome Julia", um, I'm not Julia. So I clicked my orders and it brought up some weird email address, but with my wishlist...

So I called them, and they couldn't find anything with my email address, so finally were able to use an order number I had to verify my account.

They said my account had indeed been compromised and they closed it. Luckily there was no recent activity on it. They also said they would not be able to get my credit card numbers that I had associated with my account. (I called and asked for new cards just in case) I wonder how they got into my account..we just did a full computer scan and found nothing (keylogger). We have security and the only other device we use is my Chromebook, which is also very secure.

Anyways, how lucky am I that I happened to be logged in when I received that email?? I only log in to Yahoo once a week or so.

amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Kimberle
WL Vet

They might have gotten into it through your Yahoo email. Yahoo email is very bad in the fact it gets hacked a LOT. I would change that password to a very difficult password, too. I know so many people who have had Yahoo email accounts hacked.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
amg35
DIS Veteran

I did, thanks. But still, the password I used for Amazon was different than yahoo one, and wouldn't they have needed that to request an email update? Yahoo wouldn't have had my amazon password. Oh well, I'll probably never know.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
SMD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
I did, thanks. But still, the password I used for Amazon was different than yahoo one, and wouldn't they have needed that to request an email update? Yahoo wouldn't have had my amazon password. Oh well, I'll probably never know.
If they were in your email account, they could have just reset your Amazon password. And they could have deleted the password reset request email so you don't see it.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
amg35
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I just now pretty much changed every password I have.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
xlxo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
Some thoughts...
  • was that Amazon userid/password combination used elsewhere? Those other systems may have weak security. I was the DISboards sign-in had https, this is weak security!
  • do you use public wifi? Someone can be using data eaves dropping software. Consider getting a VPN on your devices.
  • What are you using for antivirus malware protection? Is it updated? When was it last updated?
xlxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
Some thoughts...
  • was that Amazon userid/password combination used elsewhere? Those other systems may have weak security. I was the DISboards sign-in had https, this is weak security!
  • do you use public wifi? Someone can be using data eaves dropping software. Consider getting a VPN on your devices.
  • What are you using for antivirus malware protection? Is it updated? When was it last updated?
Not that I can remember...I did just now change passwords to everything important and used new email addresses. I also added double verification security to my email accounts.

Did not use public wifi.

We use Microsoft security essentials, and its up to date.

Thanks all!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Do you also have an iTunes account? I kind of remember something about people being able to hack other people's accounts if they used the same email for both.

Here is more information on it:

http://www.wired.com/2012/08/apple-a...n-hacking/all/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: