Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
ontheuptick
Earning My Ears

Need some help - Beach town in Carolinas or Virginia

Thanks in advance for your help ladies and gents!

So, my family (me, DW, DS6, DD3, DD0) has a wedding in Virginia Beach this summer. We want to vacation in a beach-town somewhere not to far from Virginia Beach, but the actual town of Virginia beach doesn't look like it's for us.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Beach town
Relaxed, shopping, kids activities
We are used to (and love) Hilton Head (North Forest Beach, coligny plaza area). We also like the Florida Hwy 30a area (seaside, Rosemary Beach, etc.).
Would like something similar, but closer to Virginia Beach.

So, North Carolina or Virginia most likely.
We aren't beach bums, we like visiting the beach but also having other stuff to do (so, some places in the Outer Banks look to much like beach-only vacations to me).

Where should I go? Recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited by ontheuptick; 04-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.
ontheuptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Have you considered staying near Nagshead or Kitty Hawk? You could visit the Wright Brothers Memorial, Jockeys Ridge, and go see The Lost Colony in Manteo.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
ontheuptick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
Have you considered staying near Nagshead or Kitty Hawk? You could visit the Wright Brothers Memorial, Jockeys Ridge, and go see The Lost Colony in Manteo.
My problem with Nags Head and Kitty Hawk is they seem like communities where all you do is go to the beach - please correct me if I'm wrong!

We like Hilton Head (and Seaside FL, etc.) because you can walk to the shopping plaza and restaurants - as well as head to the beach. A lot of the outer banks towns seem like you only go there if you want to do nothing but sit on the beach, or head out on a boat. But, maybe there are certain areas within the outer banks that are more like what I'm looking for?
ontheuptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

I lived in Hampton Roads for 20+ years. I would suggest you consider staying on the "Bay Side" of VA Beach. Still close for your wedding, but lots of stuff to do in the area. Research all of Hampton Roads for things to do. There are TONS.

OR My favorite is Cape Charles, VA, which is over the CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) there is a hefty toll, like $12, each way, but the little town is adorable, with restaurants a few shops and a small city maintained beach on the Bay. It is very affordable, especially compared to the Outer Banks.

However, speaking of the Outer Banks. Though it is primarily a beach vacation, there is quite a lot to do, especially in the Kitty Hawk/Nags Head area. This is where the Virginia "locals" go to escape the tourists in VA Beach. LOL
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
sukhakuli
I guess I'm funny like that

There are a lot of things to do in the Outer Banks. But if you are looking more for shopping etc, then I would stay at VA Beach. It's a real town, not just a beach.

But if you enjoy doing other things, the Outer Banks are great. There are several lighthouses to visit, a gorgeous botanic garden, Roanoke, colonial plantations, Wrights Brothers, Blackbeards hangout and so on.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Look north and a little east from VA Beach, going up route 13..... There's Rehoboth Beach DE with a boardwalk and carnival rides on the beach, and great restaurants and shops right off the beach (walking distance). Also the usual mini golf and go carts, etc a short drive away as well as outlet malls. And if that's not your style, Ocean City MD is a little closer, with tons of stuff going on but a different feel with high rise condominiums and hotels. You're also close for day trips to Chincoteague Island and and the wild ponies, and Lewes DE.
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
MissManda
Mouseketeer

You can stay at Sandbridge Beach. Its the very southern tip of Virginia Beach. Its a quiet beach community so its away from the hustle and bustle of the Va Beach tourist oceanfront. However, its just a short drive away from many of the Va Beach attractions.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissManda View Post
You can stay at Sandbridge Beach. Its the very southern tip of Virginia Beach. Its a quiet beach community so its away from the hustle and bustle of the Va Beach tourist oceanfront. However, its just a short drive away from many of the Va Beach attractions.
Sandbridge beach is a very relaxing location. It is off the beaten path. Very little in the way of tourist venues. But less then a 15 min drive to all tourist/Walmart etc

I love sandbridge.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
MissManda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
Sandbridge beach is a very relaxing location. It is off the beaten path. Very little in the way of tourist venues. But less then a 15 min drive to all tourist/Walmart etc

I love sandbridge.
Nice to see another Sandbridge fan out there .

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Rehobeth Beach, DE?
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

Sandbridge, VA! Definitely check it out! We stay there every summer.
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: