Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #61
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
I once saw a guy stab another in the chest but I decided to mind my own business and not tattle.
Yeah, cause THAT'S the same thing as being cursed at.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #62
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyblue View Post
I work at a hospital. I was meeting with the Grounds Spvr. and a sign vendor to discuss repairing a parking lot sign. We were standing on a concrete island between the enter and exit drive lanes assessing the sign when an employee drove by throwing her hands in the air and yelled "get the **** out of the way" with an angry scowl on her face. We were just doing our job. We weren't in anyone's way. We didn't deserve it.
I notice all your bases are covered here.

You were all on a median. You weren't in anyones way. Everything you were doing was absolutely correct.

Is there any chance the person that said something might say, "Geez, I came around the corner in the parking garage and three people were right in the middle of my lane, scurrying across. I had to hit the brakes and swerve and I probably said something I shouldn't have on the spur of the moment."

Every story has 2 sides and every story teller likes their side best.

To answer the question. No, I would not tattle.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #63
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Exactly! She is not in the building, she is in her own car. And the vendor didnt know if she was an employee. Big difference, I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
So the vendor didn't know if she was an employee or not. So how was she "representing" the hospital? To me someone being rude in their own car in the parking lot is HUGELY different than being rude while in the building.

Yup exactly the same right? Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis

I honestly thought we werent even allowed to spell out the actual curse words, even if the filter caught it. Good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink

Sorry, it never even entered my mind to actually type the word **** on this board, I honestly didn't know this rule existed.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #64
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I'm surprised at how many people think it matters whether they were in the building vs. the parking lot. In my non-professional jobs in high school and college (fast food, lowe's) it was always made clear to us that you were still expected to follow policies in the parking lot. (Lowe's had a rule that you couldn't even smoke in your own car in their parking lot.)

In my professional jobs, well, the expectation has been that you are always a representation of the company/brand, etc and have to behave that way in public, especially locally.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #65
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
So where do we draw the line? If you have 2000 employees on a large work campus just dropping F bombs and insults because they are angry and stressed, well, that doesn't sound like a healthy work environment.

Just the other week, a man called a little boy the N word on a plane. He also smacked him. He was stressed. His son was ill and actually died the next day. He was on the flight to go see him and the little boy was crying.

But, let's take away the smack. Let's say he just screamed the N word at the little boy. Should THAT be allowed? Afterall, he was having a bad day
I think there's a huge difference between racist and vulgar language. Many of us who swear like sailors don't use racial and ethnic slurs--it's a different and deeper kind of offensive. I think a lot more people would be outraged if the driver had used language similar to the man on the plane.

That said, I think there's also a difference between swearing and swearing at someone. Shouting a curse word is very different than directing that statement at anyone--personal terms, anything followed by the word you, etc. I worked at a very functional place once where swearing was constant, but if we had sworn at each other we would've been in hot water.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #66
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
So the vendor didn't know if she was an employee or not. So how was she "representing" the hospital? To me someone being rude in their own car in the parking lot is HUGELY different than being rude while in the building.

Wow, I guess we better find money for more jails and prisons if someone saying a cuss word and being rude is "verbal assault". Sorry, that's one of the better stretches I've seen in a while.
Saying a cuss word is not verbal assault. Saying it in an aggressive manner directed at another person is.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #67
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Really, now we're comparing a curse word to a federal offense? Boy our prison system would really be crowded if we did that!!

Some of you people could never work some jobs that I have been at- even at the one I am in now, thousands of people, big company and there is not a day goes by where you don't hear someone say "shut the **** up" to someone or call someone someone offensive name- thank god we are not a bunch of tattletales running to tell everytime someone insults us. Bosses have all been known to yell foul language at everyone too-- it is what it is. When I first got hired the one big rule that is told is that there is NO ratting. If you rat there was always some type of retaliation.
I tell my daughter not to be a rat in school too unless it is causing harm to a person. She recently came home to tell me a kid was cutting themselves, yes, that is causing harm. A kid skipping school, not her business.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #68
DizBelle
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Reporting to person B what person A did is tattling isn't it? Why does it matter if it is yelling a curse word or stabbing?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #69
DizBelle
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post

Some of you people could never work some jobs that I have been at- even at the one I am in now, thousands of people, big company and there is not a day goes by where you don't hear someone say "shut the **** up" to someone or call someone someone offensive name- thank god we are not a bunch of tattletales running to tell everytime someone insults us. Bosses have all been known to yell foul language at everyone too-- it is what it is. When I first got hired the one big rule that is told is that there is NO ratting. If you rat there was always some type of retaliation.
I tell my daughter not to be a rat in school too unless it is causing harm to a person. She recently came home to tell me a kid was cutting themselves, yes, that is causing harm. A kid skipping school, not her business.
Why is reporting a kid skipping school ratting while reporting they are cutting not? Why?

So at your place of business, if somone stole money from the company, the company policy is to not report it if you know who did it?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #70
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:

Well, you are right, I could not work where you work. And who is to say someone couldn't be harmed by the employee's behavior- especially in a place where people are already emotionally fragile? Or does only physical harm count?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #71
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
Why is reporting a kid skipping school ratting while reporting they are cutting not? Why?

So at your place of business, if somone stole money from the company, the company policy is to not report it if you know who did it?
Cutting is physically harming-- skipping school---ehhh--just kids being kids---who haven't skipped school or a class when they were kids? Its not hurting anyone- let their own parents find out about it and deal with it.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #72
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I've been in law enforcement for over 15 years. I can assure you I've heard every curse or insult imaginable. And behind closed doors, there is no shortage of foul language. That being said, there is a difference between "street" talk amongst your trusted coworkers and shouting it at strangers out in the parking lot.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #73
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cutting is physically harming-- skipping school---ehhh--just kids being kids---who haven't skipped school or a class when they were kids? Its not hurting anyone- let their own parents find out about it and deal with it.
I agree....but its a fine line.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #74
DizBelle
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
From dictionary.com:

tattle: to let out secrets

I would think that someone cutting themselves is their secret. Therefore, if you tell someone else, you are tattling.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #75
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

I would absolutely report it. I don't care how annoyed, impatient or mad I've gotten towards people, those words would never come out of my mouth.

Yes, people make mistakes but if those words are an option for you when you are tired and annoyed, then you are a very different type of person than I am.

We need less of this type of person on the world, turn her in. Maybe she'll learn a lesson.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: