Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #31
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou

Absolutely not, especially since I've heard more than one teacher and clergy person drop the f-bomb. No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes, has a bad day etc. Frankly I'm glad I don't work with a bunch of people that have nothing better to do than worry about every little thing everyone else does.

OP, worry about yourself and your own conduct. Unless this person was actually verbally assaulting a patient or visitor I think you should mind your own business.
Exactly. People should mind their own business and stop tattle tailing on everyone like children. People at my work have better things to do and worry about than tell on each other. Ive been at the company for 16 yrs and never saw something like this.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel71 View Post

I'm flabbergasted that anyone thinks the driver's behavior is OK in any way, shape or form. I can swear like a sailor, but it's completely inappropriate to shout a profanity at anyone on your employer's property. "Having a bad day" or "blowing off steam" is an utterly meaningless excuse.

OP, I wouldn't talk the employee directly. This is not an interpersonal issue; there were two other employees present. It is a work issue and that's exactly what HR is for. It could actually make things worse for you (or even be against policy) to discuss this with her directly. You never know how someone will react.
ITA, you never know how someone will react, or what she will claim you said or did. Direct conversations have blown up between staff members before, and I can only imagine how she'll react given her behavior in the parking lot.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #33
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel71

I'm flabbergasted that anyone thinks the driver's behavior is OK in any way, shape or form. I can swear like a sailor, but it's completely inappropriate to shout a profanity at anyone on your employer's property. "Having a bad day" or "blowing off steam" is an utterly meaningless excuse.

OP, I wouldn't talk the employee directly. This is not an interpersonal issue; there were two other employees present. It is a work issue and that's exactly what HR is for. It could actually make things worse for you (or even be against policy) to discuss this with her directly. You never know how someone will react.
Lol. So im trying to picture this. You storm into HR and and tell them you want to file a complaint. When they ask why, you tell them its because a person in their car in the parking garage told you to get the bleep outta the way.

Do you have proof? Are the witness you were with willing to come in and tell their side of the story? If not, its your word against theirs.

Sorry but I think its ridiculous. but if you go thru with it, more power to ya.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #34
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Absolutely not, especially since I've heard more than one teacher and clergy person drop the f-bomb. No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes, has a bad day etc. Frankly I'm glad I don't work with a bunch of people that have nothing better to do than worry about every little thing everyone else does.

OP, worry about yourself and your own conduct. Unless this person was actually verbally assaulting a patient or visitor I think you should mind your own business.
You've heard them shout it at complete strangers in anger?

She very well could have yelling at a patient, visitor, vendor, donor, etc. She had no idea who they were. But I guess it would be better to address it after something like that occurs. It's not like anyone's saying she should be fired. A reminder that she represents the hospital and should conduct herself accordingly isn't inappropriate.

Do you all really think that if you were leaving work and someone was in the doorway that you could shout the same thing at them without repercussion?
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #35
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Lol. So im trying to picture this. You storm into HR and and tell them you want to file a complaint. When they ask why, you tell them its because a person in their car in the parking garage told you to get the bleep outta the way.

Do you have proof? Are the witness you were with willing to come in and tell their side of the story? If not, its your word against theirs.

Sorry but I think its ridiculous. but if you go thru with it, more power to ya.
Where did anyone use the words "storm into HR"? Perhaps you also missed the fact that there were two other people present, one of which was an outside vendor. So yes, there are witnesses.
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #36
jlima
Beep Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyblue View Post
I work at a hospital. I was meeting with the Grounds Spvr. and a sign vendor to discuss repairing a parking lot sign.
The Grounds Supervisor who was with you may have already reported her. Ask him if he did. He may have already informed HR that there was a witness to the situation - you.

Quote:
I guess there are 4 options, do nothing, email the person, email their supervisor or officially write them up through HR.
If the other guy didn't already report her, talk to her supervisor face to face rather than email. Tell her supervisor what you witnessed, and that you're torn on reporting her or not; and be sure to mention that there was a 2nd supervisor present. Her supervisor may want the incident documented; and if that's the case, then report her. If she has anger issues, you're probably not the first person she's raised her voice at.

I would not send an email; if you never report her to HR, the email between you and her supervisor will live forever in your employer's email archive. And never email something you don't want blown up on a courtroom wall.

Port Orleans Nov 91 (Honeymoon!) • Dolphin Nov 99 • Dolphin & 7 day Magic cruise July 01 • HRH & Poly June 04 • HRH May 05 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 05 • HRH Sept 06 • Wilderness Lodge July 07 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 08 • HRH & Coronado Springs Dec 08 • HRH, Wilderness Lodge & 6 day Christmas Magic Cruise '11 • DL AP holder since 1989!!
jlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #37
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
I work in a hospital and cursing at a coworker will get you suspended at my job, respect for others is not optional. Given this lady's overreaction in the parking lot, you have no idea what other complaints she may have against her (these are rarely singular events).

Saying the f word itself is not the same as directly cursing at someone, and even then it's unprofessional.

I have never on my worst day cursed at a stranger, and have never been cursed at. I'm kind of surprised some folks seem to think this is common behavior and okay. If someone cursed at me like that, I'd be shocked.
Wow, and you live in New York .

I personally don't go around cursing at people but I also don't tattle when I hear someone at work letting it rip. The OP doesn't know with absolute certainty that her co-worker was cursing at her. My position is that the OP should mind her own business and let the co-worker dig her own hole.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #38
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel71

Where did anyone use the words "storm into HR"? Perhaps you also missed the fact that there were two other people present, one of which was an outside vendor. So yes, there are witnesses.
Yes im very well aware that there are wintnesses thank you. My point is, are they willing to come forward and complain to HR? Most people I know have better things to do. Sorry but I think if you go out of your way to get someone in trouble then you must have a lot of time on your hands with nothing better to do. I would not waste my time with something as ridiculous as this. People have a bad day. Get over it.

I just think that its sad that something like this still bugs you enough that youre willing to go out of your way to report it.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #39
Tralliam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Lots of different points of view here. I was leaning twards the, nothing good is going to come of this, but the last couple of posts are swaying me the other way.

I know for sure that this statement was directed at us, she was actually looking and projecting what she was saying twards us. She was proabably only 6-8 feet away. The vendor was the first to comment "wow that was inappropriate, I hope she doesn't work here."

Now my thought is, if we were looking at a sign inside and she walked by and yelled this at us I wouldn't hesitate reporting her. Why should I treat this situation any differently because we happened to be outside?
The bolded is what would help me make my decision. Your vendor commented to you, their contact, that it was innapropriate. What if they decided that they didn't want to do business with the hospital because of this. Another sign vendor may do inferior work for more money. That directly impacts the bottom line of the hospital.

If the vendor had laughed and said something like "someone's having a bad day" I would probably do nothing.
Tralliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #40
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
This isnt a perfect world where nobody gets mad at eachother or uses foul language. We are human. It happens.
So where do we draw the line? If you have 2000 employees on a large work campus just dropping F bombs and insults because they are angry and stressed, well, that doesn't sound like a healthy work environment.

Just the other week, a man called a little boy the N word on a plane. He also smacked him. He was stressed. His son was ill and actually died the next day. He was on the flight to go see him and the little boy was crying.

But, let's take away the smack. Let's say he just screamed the N word at the little boy. Should THAT be allowed? Afterall, he was having a bad day
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #41
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post

There's an old saying "Snitches get Stitches"
'

Sigh. How lovely.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink

There's an old saying "Snitches get Stitches"
Lmao!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
They weren't impeding traffic in any way!
As I said, if I was driving by a median with people standing on it, I would be afraid that one of those people would step off the median, either on purpose or accidentally.

Also, are they blocking the view of the road?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #44
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
I think you have to put it in context, and most people know and expect some cursing in those situations. Although I will say I dated a Marine for a couple of years, and he may have cursed up a storm working or with the guys, but turned that off at home.
You are right, they mostly do have respect...we've hosted several family events and *most* of them don't talk that way around the children. There are a few immature exceptions that haven't learned to adjust their civilian-life social filters yet.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #45
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Wow, and you live in New York .

I personally don't go around cursing at people but I also don't tattle when I hear someone at work letting it rip. The OP doesn't know with absolute certainty that her co-worker was cursing at her. My position is that the OP should mind her own business and let the co-worker dig her own hole.
I know, even in NYC we can be civilized, lol.

Of course I've overheard cursing (and have cursed) at times, but that isn't the same as cursing at someone.

I would consider someone cursing at me to be aggressive, and that is not okay, especially at work. It's not as egregious imo to say the f word in passing, although it's still unprofessional.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: