Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
smokeyblue
Mouseketeer

Would Your Report This? (Work Question)

I work at a hospital. I was meeting with the Grounds Spvr. and a sign vendor to discuss repairing a parking lot sign. We were standing on a concrete island between the enter and exit drive lanes assessing the sign when an employee drove by throwing her hands in the air and yelled "get the **** out of the way" with an angry scowl on her face. We were just doing our job. We weren't in anyone's way. We didn't deserve it.

I'm not a prude, I'm not easily offended, but this made me pretty angry and embarrassed. I really love my job, and I love what we as a hospital do for our patients. I would be devestated if I had a freind or someone on the street tell me, yeah I was at the hospital and an employee told me to get the **** out of their way. We had jackets over our badges so this girl really had no idea if we were employees, patients or people just walking down the sidewalk.

I'm torn if I should "tell". I don't wish to hurt anyone's work and everyone has made bad decisions and have said things they shouldn't. On the other hand, I don't wish to lose patients or have people saying bad things about my workplace because of another employee using abusive, foul language.

Would you report it?

Last edited by smokeyblue; 03-28-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: .
smokeyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
superme80
DIS Veteran

I would have someone send out a memo to remember that Grounds Keepers are on thr grounds and if they are blocking your way please remeber common courtesy when asking them to move. I may not "rat" that person out, but remind everyone to be kind to those who work on the grounds.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Do you know the person? Would you be comfortable dealing directly with them. You can tell them that you were the person she cussed at, and that she may want to be a bit more careful in case a supervisor were present.
okeydokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

If I were 100% sure it was an employee and I was 100% certain that I could ID that employee, I'd report it.

There are no excuses for behavior like this, especially at a hospital when people are dealing with bigger problems than having someone "in the way."
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Do you know the person? Would you be comfortable dealing directly with them. You can tell them that you were the person she cussed at, and that she may want to be a bit more careful in case a supervisor were present.
I believe OP is a supervisor.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

No. Tattling is as immature as cursing at someone. Also, you may want to edit your post to change the offending word to just ****. I've gotten points in the past for posting the word the way you did. Just a heads up.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
PelletierBears
Mouseketeer

Do you know the person who yelled at you? If so, would you be comfortable approaching them and talking about it? Since you know they are an employee can I assume you know their name or would you be reporting them through description or vehicle?

I agree that we've all made an occational bad decision but really they shouldn't be acting that way on work property. I would be outraged if an employee at any business (yes even in the parking lot) talked that way to me...even more so if my kids were with me and they're teens.

1982 - offsite, 1996 - offsite, May 2001 - AKL, June 2006 - WL, June 2007 - WL, July 2008 - WL, June 2009 -Split stay: Pirate rm CBR & Poly Club Level!, December 2010 -Split stay: POP & WL, June 2012 - Split stay: CSR & WL, January 2014 - Split stay: AKL Club level & Poly, January 2015 - AKL Club level
PelletierBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
smokeyblue
Mouseketeer

OP here. I don't know the person, but I found out who they are and what department they work, they are a clerk in an outpatient area. I guess there are 4 options, do nothing, email the person, email their supervisor or officially write them up through HR.
smokeyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyblue View Post
OP here. I don't know the person, but I found out who they are and what department they work, they are a clerk in an outpatient area. I guess there are 4 options, do nothing, email the person, email their supervisor or officially write them up through HR.
I would go with the 5th option. Take the time to actually discuss this with your coworker face to face. Anything else seems to be the chicken way out.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyblue View Post
I can't see anything positive coming out of doing anything.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

OK, since I relate most things with movies here is what pops in my mind....call me DiNozzo (NICS ).

Scene in "Spiderman". Peter Parker gets done fighting in the ring and does not get the "prize money" he was promised. Then someone ROBS the dude and instead of stopping him, Peter Parker does nothing for payback.
However now we know where this is going....the robber is the one who kills his uncle. Had he stopped the robber in the office his uncle would be alive.

Ala "The Matrix", the issue is always "choice".

Is this person on their last leg, are they abusive to other people and you would be the final straw with stopping them?

Or did they just have a "bad moment" in time.

Not sure what to tell you now I see you found out who it is. Can you ask around about this person?
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

I would report them to HR as it's against our company's code of conduct. I would actually use the confidential line as someone screaming at a stranger in a median strikes me as unbalanced and possibly violent. I have no tolerance for road rage (or parking lot rage) and no sympathy for the person committing it. I've almost been run over on sidewalks and in crosswalks and have reported it to the police with NO response! Ticks me off. By almost run over I mean I had to dash out of the way.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

So an employee, in his or her own car, trying to go home after a long day at the hospital, isn't allowed to blow off a little steam when three people are standing on a medium in between the entrance and exit to the parking lot?

Why are you on the median? Wasn't there someone else to stand? What if one of you lost your footing and got hit by this person? Maybe that's what he or she was worrying about.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Also, are you sure she was yelling at you? I can't tell you how often I've gotten cheesed off thinking someone was saying something untoward to/about me only to find they were speaking into their bluetooth (and man I HATE those things. They look ridiculous and people look ridiculous/insane using them...that said, I have one and I do use it hahaha!)

ETA, a similar situation happened to me just two weeks ago. I have a PT gig a few days a week and they had just hired a young kid (17). We both got off at the same time but park in different sections of the lot. As I was pulling out of the lot he came whipping out of the aisle he had parked in, nearly colliding with me, but ultimately cutting me off. I contemplated going to the boss about it, but instead I mentioned it to him when I saw him next. "Dude, you totally almost broadsided me in the lot the other day and then cut me off. You have to be more careful...we have a LOT of elderly patrons walking around out there." He gave me a big sheepish apology and admitted he never even saw me...which I could tell as he cut me off.

He's been polite as can be since.

Last edited by Jennasis; 03-28-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

That's completely inappropriate behavior, especially for an employee still on hospital property. Honestly I would have doubts as to her behavior in general after that interaction, and yes I would have a talk with her supervisor. You could have been a patient, or worse, a visitor leaving after a family member passed away, who knows. It is not okay to speak that way, even in the parking lot when you work there.

My job also has a code of conduct and it extends to after work hours and off property. You know it when you accept their job offer, and are free to decline if you disagree with it.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: