Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
carisa81
Mouseketeer

How hard is it to push around a wheelchair around Disneyland?

My parents are coming with us this coming trip and I"m trying to convince my mom to get a wheelchair. She is refusing so far. She's too proud, I believe. However, she has HORRIBLE fibromyalgia. She's in constant terrible pain. And she's tired, always!! My question is this-how tough is it to push around a woman, about 114 lbs, in a wheelchair?? My dad would be pushing. I have twins, who will SOMETIMES be in a stroller.

DD-4 DS-4

Disneyland as a Child~countless times.

Disneyland as an Adult~2000-PPH, 2007-Hyatt Regency Orange County, 2008-GC Premium DTD View, 2009-GC DTD View, 2010-GC Pool View, 2011-GC Premium DTD View, 2012-DLH Pool View, 2013-GC Premium DTD View.

Hoping to go this June, 2014!
carisa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisa81 View Post
My parents are coming with us this coming trip and I"m trying to convince my mom to get a wheelchair. She is refusing so far. She's too proud, I believe. However, she has HORRIBLE fibromyalgia. She's in constant terrible pain. And she's tired, always!! My question is this-how tough is it to push around a woman, about 114 lbs, in a wheelchair?? My dad would be pushing. I have twins, who will SOMETIMES be in a stroller.
If she is 114 pounds it should be easy, unless your dad is light in weight himself. I took my mom when she was 80 and pushed her in a wheelchair. It was tough going sometimes...there are more hills than you realize when you're not pushing someone around! But I managed fine and my mom weighs about 25 lbs more than I do.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

It really depends on how ergonomic the chair is. Make sure it is adjusted correctly so that you don't have to strain one way or the other to push. My 112# daughter pushes herself in a custom wheelchair, but occasionally we help push, too. I find I can't do it very long because her handles on the back are too low for all-day pushing. You will notice the slight variations in altitude more and more as the day goes on.
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Autty40
Earning My Ears

We went two years ago with my brother in law who used a wheelchair. It wasn't difficult to push around and it was a basic wheelchair. The only problems we had were the people that would cut us off sometimes. It was difficult to stop very quickly. But he got to enjoy the park with us whereas if he hadn't had the chair he would have only seen the hotel room.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Vancouver2Disneyland
Earning My Ears

When I was last there 5 years ago my mom pushed me. A CM did warn her about all of the hills, and according to my mom, he wasn't joking, there are a few hill. But I wouldn't know It was a bit of a workout after 3 days but possible, and I weighted more than your mom. I'm toying with the idea of renting a ECV this time around. If your mom decides to rent a wheelchair while on your trip, I never had a problem getting a manual one at the beginning of the day at the park. EDIT: We were often cut off too, but it was Aug. so it was pretty crowded. I never felt bad for their ankles though and you shouldn't either, people shouldn't try to dart around you and cut you off.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
nikkislaght
DIS Veteran

On a side note, if your mum refuses a wheel chair , at the very lest get her a GAC, from city hall. This will help her with not having to stand for long periods of time..
nikkislaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

I agree with everyone...Disneyland is very hilly and you don't realize it until you are pushing someone in a wheelchair. It definitely was a workout. I found DCA to be easier with the wheelchair but that is because I was told it was previously a parking lot.

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

DMIL had a wheelchair but used it as little as possible because she didn't want to impose on family to push it. An ECV gave her independence, tho she wasn't the best driver in the parks.

She has passed on, and now DH and i have stamina issues of our own, so we rent ECV's, and they're fun. The grand kids are already looking forward to when they can drive one -- I hope they have many, many years before they need one.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
PocahontasLookALike
DIS Veteran

my mom has to use a wheelchair for a number of reasons (although she 'looks' healthy when you see her).

My family has been going as a big group as adults for the last 8 years and I always push her. it's really not that bad...and I never gain an ounce when we go. Everyone else comes back and complains of weight gain. Lol. Some areas are hilly but it's not bad. I'm rather athletic though (runner).

My very fit and athletic 65 year old dad pushes her at Disneyland when I need a break and he doesn't have issues with it.

my mom is tall and thin so pushing her weight isn't bad.

we've been at really crowded times too. Last year we were for leap day (never again!) and it was a little rough but we managed.

although its up to my other brothers and sisters now! This year my husband and I will be pushing a stroller with our baby and I'll be 30 weeks pregnant!

Ridiculously happy DVC Member
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
WDW 2001 - Sheraton Vistana
WDW 2005 - BWV
WDW 2007 - BWV
WDW 2009 - Beach Club Villas
Childhood Disneyland Trips...too many times to count!
2007 Disneyland trips: January, March and October - VGC
2008 Disneyland trip: 2008 Half Marathon in August!
2009 Disneyland trips: September for the Disneyland Half Marathon, October for a big family trip - VGC
February 2011 Disneyland - PPH
April 2013 Disneyland- PPH
October 2014 Disneyland - VGC
PocahontasLookALike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
carisa81
Mouseketeer

Wow, you provided me with a lot of good info. Now if I can just convince her to get one. Geez. My dad is is about 170 lbs, so I'm thinking he will be able to handle it. He loves her so much, so I don't think he will mind. Plus, my husband will be there to help out.

DD-4 DS-4

Disneyland as an Adult~2000-PPH, 2007-Hyatt Regency Orange County, 2008-GC Premium DTD View, 2009-GC DTD View, 2010-GC Pool View, 2011-GC Premium DTD View, 2012-DLH Pool View, 2013-GC Premium DTD View.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
algae
Mouseketeer

Don't forget to consider how you get to the park. Once, we stayed at the PPH and I was in a wheelchair. The hill up to the GCH and the parks was pretty steep. Even though I got to ride, I could tell that the pushers were putting in some effort--not that I'm heavy... But yes, DL is hilly especially around POTC and HM/SM side of things. Don't let that deter you though, other than that it's very manageable.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
carisa81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
Don't forget to consider how you get to the park. Once, we stayed at the PPH and I was in a wheelchair. The hill up to the GCH and the parks was pretty steep. Even though I got to ride, I could tell that the pushers were putting in some effort--not that I'm heavy... But yes, DL is hilly especially around POTC and HM/SM side of things. Don't let that deter you though, other than that it's very manageable.
I think I just convinced my mom to get one because of this thread! Yay. We are staying at the GC. And my mom and I were just talking about the area around Thunder Mountain and the the New Orleans area. Those were the spots that we could picture hills. Oh, and going into Toon Town. Oh well. It is what it is. It's worth it!

DD-4 DS-4

Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
beachdreamr1229
Mouseketeer

The wheelchairs really are worth it! Not that bad to push either--easier than a stroller as far as I am concerned. My mom has needed one on and off for the last 20 years due to knee problems and rheumatoid arthritis when we're at DL. She gets to rest her joints, and as an added bonus, she gets to skip long lines and enter through the exit. She always says she'd never wish her disease on anyone, but it's nice that at least some places like DL make great accommodations for her.

On a sidenote, if you want her to be able to skip lines, there's a pass you should get through guest relations but you may need proof of disability--either a letter from a doctor or the paperwork for a handicapped placard. Most CMs are very understanding, but I have met a few who try to give us problems about getting her the handicapped pass because too many people have abused it (such as lazy people who rent wheelchairs but have no problem standing).

1987-1999: DL At least 1 trip per year
2000: WDW for Millenium Celebration CBR
2003: DL Grad Nite
2006-2008: DL 1 trip per year for the holidays
2013: First trip to DL with DS, DLH, PPH, APs for the year

Already in the beginning stages of planning another BIG trip to DL for 2015 (60th Anniversary), and another BIG trip to WDW in 2021 (50th Anniversary)!
beachdreamr1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
carisa81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdreamr1229 View Post
The wheelchairs really are worth it! Not that bad to push either--easier than a stroller as far as I am concerned. My mom has needed one on and off for the last 20 years due to knee problems and rheumatoid arthritis when we're at DL. She gets to rest her joints, and as an added bonus, she gets to skip long lines and enter through the exit. She always says she'd never wish her disease on anyone, but it's nice that at least some places like DL make great accommodations for her.

On a sidenote, if you want her to be able to skip lines, there's a pass you should get through guest relations but you may need proof of disability--either a letter from a doctor or the paperwork for a handicapped placard. Most CMs are very understanding, but I have met a few who try to give us problems about getting her the handicapped pass because too many people have abused it (such as lazy people who rent wheelchairs but have no problem standing).
Is it only her who gets to skip lines? Or all of us. There will be six of us, total. Four adults and two 4 yr olds. I didn't even think about this. She can definitely get a note from her doctor. She also always says she doesn't wish her medical problems on anyone. She truly does suffer on a daily basis, and very sad to watch. I hate it.

DD-4 DS-4

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
kylieh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisa81 View Post

Is it only her who gets to skip lines? Or all of us. There will be six of us, total. Four adults and two 4 yr olds. I didn't even think about this. She can definitely get a note from her doctor. She also always says she doesn't wish her medical problems on anyone. She truly does suffer on a daily basis, and very sad to watch. I hate it.
I wouldn't call it a line skip pass at all. On lines where you are able to get a wheelchair or ECV through (almost everything in California Adventure, a lot in DL) you take the normal line and the make mods when you get to the front. On other where you can't you may get to skip the line, but we found it to be swings and roundabouts. For example, once we skipped a huge line for something in Fantasyland (it was a couple of years ago) but then needed to wait for a modified boat for Small World. It was about an hour when normal wait was about 15 minutes - there were a lot of ppl with disabilities that day.

On pushing a wheelchair my daughter often needs one, she weighs about 45kg / 100 pounds(?) and it's pretty easy for us. On the ECV, my MIL needed one a few years back, she insisted on not having one, but soon realized she did and we ended up renting each day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: