Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Migraines with visual disturbance anyone?

I suffered with theses a lot in my youth, however as the years went on I stopped getting them.

Now the past few years they have started up again. I get the visual zig zag flickering in one or sometimes both eyes without any warning, which can be really frightening esp if your driving like I was today, followed about 20 mins later with the headache which lasts for hours

Does anyone else suffer with this and what do you take if you do? Im trying to keep a diary to see if I can find what triggers one.

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Toy Story Fan
Mouseketeer

I get these too. When I first started getting them, I could not see...it would be dark and distorted. I couldn't read a thing. As I am getting older, it's more of floating squiggly lines all over. I still cannot see too well, so I close my eyes and lie in a dark room. As soon as the squiggly lines appear, I take extra strength Advil. These lines last about 25 minutes to a half hour. It took me several years to figure out my biggest trigger...BANANAS!!! Since I don't eat bananas anymore, I only get the occasional migraine. Sunlight, if it is really bright and catches my eyes a certain way will also trigger a migraine. I have had episodes where I could not talk right and actually forgot my kids names, along with words of everyday simple things. It's kind of scary because it sounds like a stroke. Migraines are nasty, and its unfortunate that a lot of people suffer from them.
Toy Story Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida sun View Post
I suffered with theses a lot in my youth, however as the years went on I stopped getting them.

Now the past few years they have started up again. I get the visual zig zag flickering in one or sometimes both eyes without any warning, which can be really frightening esp if your driving like I was today, followed about 20 mins later with the headache which lasts for hours

Does anyone else suffer with this and what do you take if you do? Im trying to keep a diary to see if I can find what triggers one.
My DD13 had been getting migraines just like this for the last 2 years. Doctors think is is related to the massive hormone surges associated with puberty. They were clustered during the first and third weeks of the month. Like clockwork they started with one blurry eye that then went to jagged zig zag lines in neon colors. Her speech also got a little funny (scary to watch - she used incorrect words for things) then 20 minutes later the pain and vomiting came. We tracked them on a calendar for several months. When she started getting more than 5 a month the Dr put her on 4 mg ciproheptadine two times a day. She has been taking it for two years, If she takes it regularly - no migraines. If she skips doses she gets one. She also has 5 mg sumatriptan nasal spray for when she does get a migraine.

Hope this info helps you. Migraines are no fun at all!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
netrista
Friend of Pooh

I have had these as well. I had my first one ever shortly after I had my first son. I was watching TV and faces started to morph into extended, zigzag shapes. It was much like a horror movie, and I assumed right away that I had a brain tumor. Around the same time, I had a crippling head ache that lasted for 2-3 days. Fortunately, I was diagnosed right away and a simple butabitol pill made them go away. I had a similar experience about 17 years later right before I had my second son, so that was definitely hormonal. Fortunately, those days are gone. However, since being in a tremendous car accident, walking over rugs with square patterns, red/blue flashing lights or dim florescent lighting causes me to feel extremely dizzy with a nuisance headache. If it is not one thing, it's something else!

netrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Story Fan View Post
I get these too. When I first started getting them, I could not see...it would be dark and distorted. I couldn't read a thing. As I am getting older, it's more of floating squiggly lines all over. I still cannot see too well, so I close my eyes and lie in a dark room. As soon as the squiggly lines appear, I take extra strength Advil. These lines last about 25 minutes to a half hour. It took me several years to figure out my biggest trigger...BANANAS!!! Since I don't eat bananas anymore, I only get the occasional migraine. Sunlight, if it is really bright and catches my eyes a certain way will also trigger a migraine. I have had episodes where I could not talk right and actually forgot my kids names, along with words of everyday simple things. It's kind of scary because it sounds like a stroke. Migraines are nasty, and its unfortunate that a lot of people suffer from them.
Thanks for your reply, I wish I could figure out whats triggering mine, but hopefully by keeping a diary I will eventually find out. My other symptoms are my hands go numb and feeling sick. I agree they are dreadful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Ciz View Post
My DD13 had been getting migraines just like this for the last 2 years. Doctors think is is related to the massive hormone surges associated with puberty. They were clustered during the first and third weeks of the month. Like clockwork they started with one blurry eye that then went to jagged zig zag lines in neon colors. Her speech also got a little funny (scary to watch - she used incorrect words for things) then 20 minutes later the pain and vomiting came. We tracked them on a calendar for several months. When she started getting more than 5 a month the Dr put her on 4 mg ciproheptadine two times a day. She has been taking it for two years, If she takes it regularly - no migraines. If she skips doses she gets one. She also has 5 mg sumatriptan nasal spray for when she does get a migraine.

Hope this info helps you. Migraines are no fun at all!
Thank you for your reply, I have an appt next week for bloodwork with the nurse, I may mention these to her. Your poor daughter, that must have been really bad for herr and for you to see her suffering like that, I hope she eventually out grows them

For anyone that has never suffered a visual distubance with a miagraine have a look at the link below on you tube its a very good animation of exactley what I see when I have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo139jYAFzA

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrista View Post
I have had these as well. I had my first one ever shortly after I had my first son. I was watching TV and faces started to morph into extended, zigzag shapes. It was much like a horror movie, and I assumed right away that I had a brain tumor. Around the same time, I had a crippling head ache that lasted for 2-3 days. Fortunately, I was diagnosed right away and a simple butabitol pill made them go away. I had a similar experience about 17 years later right before I had my second son, so that was definitely hormonal. Fortunately, those days are gone. However, since being in a tremendous car accident, walking over rugs with square patterns, red/blue flashing lights or dim florescent lighting causes me to feel extremely dizzy with a nuisance headache. If it is not one thing, it's something else!
Thanks for replying, like you, every time I have one I think its a brain tumor, its so disturbing and 2o mins seems like hours. Im so glad yours have gone but sorry to read about your car accident

Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

It sounds awful hun, I personally don't suffer with them, but I hope once you've had your blood tests done, they find out the cause

Hope you're feeling better this morning

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
Lesleyluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I suffer from them a lot, horrible! Not sure what triggers mine, doctor did say certain times of the month can be worse than others due to hormone changes. Ive found recently that kool & soothe pads do help relieve the pain a bit

awwwhh hope you're better soon, its awful

x
1998 - Port Orleans French Quarter * 1999 - All Star Music * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - All Star Movies * 2002 - All Star Movies * 2004 - All Star Movies * 2006 - Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON!* 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside *2010 - Old Key West* 2013 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

Magical Disneyland Paris Visits!2001 - Santa Fe Hotel * 2002 - Disneyland Hotel[COLOR="New York[/B][/B][/B][/B]

PaleGreen"]* 2005 - Hotel New York
[/[B]2011 - Hotel New York

Disneyland & California AdventureOct 2009 - 1st visit!

Lesleyluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
It sounds awful hun, I personally don't suffer with them, but I hope once you've had your blood tests done, they find out the cause

Hope you're feeling better this morning
Thanks hon, I still have a headache today but feel a lot better than yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesleyluvsdisney View Post
I suffer from them a lot, horrible! Not sure what triggers mine, doctor did say certain times of the month can be worse than others due to hormone changes. Ive found recently that kool & soothe pads do help relieve the pain a bit

awwwhh hope you're better soon, its awful

x
Than you so much, Im 51 now and sure its to do with hormones decreasing in my case they are awful and make me feel terrible. Thanks for the tip on kool and sooth pads, sorry to hear your a sufferer as well

Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Hi Sue

Hope you are feeling better today.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony64 View Post
Hi Sue

Hope you are feeling better today.
Thank you Tony, I still have a dull headache but feel a lot better, just hope it stays away as Im going out for my birthday(sunday) tonight with my friends

Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
mcraige
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, I have these too. My neurologist told me to take 2 Tylenol (acetaminophen) plus 2 Advil (ibuprofen) and drink a Coke. If I feel them coming on, this works on 90% of them. If I don't feel it coming on, but they are mild to medium, this works on 75% of the time.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC) Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Hope by tonight that your head is completely clear and that you have a great evening.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
pampat
Never Forget: It was all started by a Mouse!

I used to suffer with migranes like this too, blurred vision, lack of balance and lack of co-ordination until the headache began. I think mine were hormone related as when I was pregnant with my daughter they got worse for a couple of months, but after I reached 6months of pregnancy they stopped and I haven't had one since. Joy is now 23. It's a bit of an extreme cure, but it worked for me!!!

Pam
pampat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Sue hope u are feeling better. Migraines can give the feeling that u have a brain tumour or going to have a stroke. I used to get them terrible when in my early twenties. My gp gave me migralieve then immogran which worked temporarily but he then gave me a low dose of propananol. They are are a beta blocker. I had them for 6 months and with eliminating cheese and fresh orange juice I rarely get them.
They are horrid. Mine start with the aura. Pins and needles numbness then pain from back of head settling behind my right eye.
I empathise with you and I do agree that it is triggers hormones and stress that cause them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: