Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
2ndStarr
Earning My Ears

May 15th Rocket Launch

This will be the 2nd day of our trip, and I'm sure it would be super cool. The projected launch time is about 5pm, which means we can still visit a park in the am.

The thing is, we'd have to rent a minivan and drive out to Titusville. I would hate to get it all set up and then have the launch be cancelled due to weather or whatever.

Has anyone done this or is anyone planning to? Is it worth it? My kids and DH are all pretty space crazy. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Not a recent example, but we saw a launch about 10 years ago. We made the drive twice, and the launch was cancelled twice within a few minutes of scheduled lift-off (once for weather, and once for a mechanical problem). Traffic was pretty slow on the ride back to Orlando.

On the third night, we watched the successful launch from the Epcot parking lot. It was still pretty impressive.

I bet it'd be worth the hassle for you if everything goes according to plan, but you do risk driving out there for nothing.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Just make sure you follow the NASA news feeds/receive emails. Launches are often scrubbed, and they will always give a predicted chance of launch %, based on weather.

Shuttle launches were scrubbed all the time...not sure if this happens as much with the rockets.

Worth giving it a shot, you could always just visit Cocoa Beach if the launch is scrubbed : ) If the beach isn't your thing, the Brevard Zoo is pretty outstanding, and just a little bit further south on 95. Pretty cool ropes/zip line installed in the last year or so.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

I don't see this scheduled in May, however we would love to see it. We have seen 3 launches all from Disney World. Once in Epcot, once at Hollywood Studios and once at Animal Kingdom!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD12 DS10
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14

MOM POPPINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
msmama
DIS Veteran

We timed a Disney trip with one of the last shuttle launches. It's about a hour and a half drive I think(maybe more if there is traffic, which there was for us, but like I said the second to last - which became third to last) shuttle launch. Agreed with a pp that it was a LONG drive back to Orlando.

That said, it was totally worth it and something I will remember forever!

It is very nail biting though waiting to make sure it doesn't get scrubbed (not sure the difference between rocket and shuttle launches) and knowing that if it does you wasted a day you could be at Disney. I planned my trip around the launch so had that extra day.

The Kennedy space center is pretty cool if you have some extra time. I don't know about watching from there. We found a park on the side of the road and watched from there. Only had a slightly worse view then friends of ours that paid to be on space center property.

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
nickorbecca
Mouseketeer

I don't see a launch early in may??
nickorbecca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: