Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
UtahCruise
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your imput I hadnt taken into consideration that we are 2 hours ahead. So I think we will change to the later dinner time. Good point about rushing back from shore excursions and as someone else pointed out we dont want an early breakfast on the day on disembarkation as we are staying in Florida a few extra days.
UtahCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Smiley2411
Earning My Ears

We chose early dinner with our 6 and 9 year old. I really wish we would have chosen later...just because of having to come in early to get ready

Smiley2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

I haven't read the responses, so I apologize if I'm duplicating. Something to think about is how much time you need between completely stuffing yourself silly from a 4 course meal and going to bed. I know for me personally that I cannot go right to bed after eating. If that's not a problem for you or you typically go to bed really late anyways, the later seating should be fine. However, if you like to let your food settle first, the earlier seating may be a better option.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
the.carter.5
Earning My Ears

how difficult is it to see the shows with a late dining?
the.carter.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.carter.5 View Post
show starts at 6:15 and lasts 1 hour. Your dinner is at 8:30

Total: 21 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 117 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 7, FANTASY - 3
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahCruise View Post
Thanks for your imput I hadnt taken into consideration that we are 2 hours ahead. So I think we will change to the later dinner time. Good point about rushing back from shore excursions and as someone else pointed out we dont want an early breakfast on the day on disembarkation as we are staying in Florida a few extra days.
Just keep in mind that you will stay have to rush back for the shows if you want to see them... it's either early dinner/late show or early show/late dinner.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We prefer early dining since we tend to have dinner around 5:30 - 6:00 p.m. at home. We don't like to eat late then go to bed a couple hours later. Early dining also gives us a chance to get a little hungry before the Pirate Night buffet!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

We preferred late dining because it didn't seem like we had to rush around so much, especially on days we had excursions. When we did main dining, we always felt like we were trying to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.carter.5 View Post
I'm not sure about all the ships, but on the Fantasy, they had three stage shows. (3:00pm, 6:15pm, and 8:00pm, if I remember correctly) We would go to the afternoon show, swim or relax, then go to dinner. We also took advantage of no lines for the AquaDuck because most people were either at dinner or the show.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Here's a question: is your preferred dining time guaranteed?

What if there are more people that want late seating vs early? Or vice versa?

Does DCL reserve the right to stick you wherever they need to to even things out? Or can there be a larger group at one or the other? Just curious, because even though they ask at time of booking, lots of people seem to switch before the time comes for the actual cruise.

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post

What if there are more people that want late seating vs early? Or vice versa?

Does DCL reserve the right to stick you wherever they need to to even things out? Or can there be a larger group at one or the other? Just curious, because even though they ask at time of booking, lots of people seem to switch before the time comes for the actual cruise.
From what I've seen, they remove the option for one of the seatings when it is full and nobody is allowed to change to that seating unless there's newly-opened space. Typically, the Main Seating fills up and new bookings can only select Second Seating.

I've never heard of someone booking a seating and then being told they can't have it later.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
safeti01
Mouseketeer

My DW and I were on lthe Sept Fantasy Eastern and had the late seating. The problem with late seating was when we went to the adult shows in the evening, they were full with very little seating room.

We are doing a Feb 14 Fantasy Western and have requested early. We you like to atten the adult shows.
safeti01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
That is the problem many people have. You pick early or late dinning when you book the cruise. When early or late dinning is full you do not get a choice when you book, you get what is left. I always hear about early dinning filling up but I have never heard about late dinning getting cut off.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #28
Moby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahCruise View Post
I'm on PST time, and on our first 7 night cruise we did LATE dining. Yes, it was more relaxed, there were fewer children in the DR, and the shows were also less crowded, BUT, I disliked feeling so stuffed late at night (dinner was done around 9:30-9:45 p.m.) because it made me feel like I just wanted to go to sleep afterwards. We were always hungry when we got back from excursions, so we wished we could eat right away rather than grab a snack to tide us over until it was time for late dining which meant more eating = more weight gain.

Folks talk about being rushed on excursion days if you do early dining, but in reality if you attend the show each evening, it starts at 6:15 p.m. for late dinners while dinner starts at 5:45 for early diners, which is only a 30 minute difference. Now if you don't plan to attend the shows each night than late dining definitely gives you more time to relax before dinner.

Our 2nd cruise was the Eastbound 14 night Panama Canal cruise, and I decided to try early dining which I ended up preferring. Because we ate early, we had the time and the energy to go for a walk after dinner each night which helped offset weight gain. We didn't feel so stuffed and tired when we ate earlier, so we actually stayed up a lot later to enjoy the entertainment. We enjoyed being able to eat our big meal as soon as we returned from port excursions, and we didn't feel rushed getting ready. My husband always showered in the spa (free of charge) while my daughter and I got ready in our cabin (split bathroom), so we had plenty of time to prepare for early dining.

The other advantage of early dining for me was that I often only ate two big meals a day (late breakfast and early dining) plus a small snack in-between, if needed, so I gained less weight on a 14 night cruise (early dining) than I did on the 7 night cruise (late dining) because on the latter, I went to bed each night with a full stomach, and it made me feel too tired to get out and walk each evening.

As for having early breakfast on the last morning if you do early dining, that is true, but the alternative is to eat breakfast at Beach Blanket (Deck 9 on Wonder) at whatever time you choose before you disembark instead of eating in the dining room.

Last edited by Moby; 03-30-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

We prefer early dining. We always skip the shows, so we like having our evenings free after dinner. We usually go to the pool after dinner. It's the best time to go because half the ship is at dinner and the other half is at the show! So you pretty much get the whole pool all to yourself! And if you're on the Dream/Fantasy it means you can ride the Aquaduck over and over and over again with no lines!

So yeah, if we had late dinner, we'd probably go to the pool before dinner, and then we'd have to keep track of time to make sure we got to dinner on time. So we just prefer to eat first, then have the whole evening to do whatever we want without worrying about time.

There are a couple downsides to early dinner. Occasionally you are rushing to get to dinner after you get onboard. One time we had an excursion that ran late (it was through DCL though, so the ship waited for us!) so when we got back on board we were literally running through the ship to get to the dining room for dinner! And we were still late!

Another downside is that you miss the sunset every evening with early dinner! Going through my photos from my cruise, I noticed I have several sunrise photos, but not a single photo of those beautiful Caribbean sunsets!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

If there is one night that you feel rushed to get to early dinner just go to the buffet place. They serve the same food as the MDR's.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: