Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
UtahCruise
Earning My Ears

Early or late dinner

We are currently scheduled for early dinning since we dont usually eat too late but I am wondering if I should change it. We are a party of 4 adults 50,48,25,&22. Will the shows be less kid free earlier or later dont get me wrong I love kids as I teach elementary reading
UtahCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahCruise View Post
We are currently scheduled for early dinning since we dont usually eat too late but I am wondering if I should change it. We are a party of 4 adults 50,48,25,&22. Will the shows be less kid free earlier or later dont get me wrong I love kids as I teach elementary reading
We prefer early dining with our children so we have the late show. So, if most parents with younger children choose early dining then the early show should have less children. But of course there will be children everywhere.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

On all of our cruises we have selected the later dinner for a few reasons.

1. Our first cruise we booked late and only had the 2nd option
2. Our kids were older when we first started 11 & 14, so no need for early bedtimes
3. There weren't very many small kids around on stimulus overload meltdown.
4. Since we DON'T have small kids, we leave that spot for people who do because it makes their lives easier.

Our next cruise our kids will be 17 and 14, practically all adults
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahCruise View Post
It's really up to you. I prefer early dining because we don't like toi eat a meal late in the evening. There are more kids at the late show, but I haven't noticed not seeing or hearing because of the kids.

If you feel that you might be rushed on excursion due to the early dinner time, you might want to select 2nd seating.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
silence
Missin' Mickey

We chose late dining since we are coming from the West Coast, this would feel more like dinner time to us.

We did early on our first cruise, and it was fine, but, we felt rushed to get back from port excursions to get ready for dinner/shows. Late on our 2nd cruise and it worked better for us.

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Jugglemom
Earning My Ears

We have 2 smalls kids and booked the late seating. We eat closer to 8:00 at home usually and can't imagine eating dinner around 5. I think you will probably find a decent amount of kids at either seating.
Jugglemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Will you be dealing with a time change?

We went along with my cousins who like late seating. It sounded good on paper. Get to hit the shows without a full belly, no rushing, etc. And the kid's club people would pick up the kids.

Well no one told us we had to take the kids out of the restaurant AND tell the server so he would speed up DS's service (seriously, no one told us, I hadn't read it, and that is what we were told when we finally asked what was up...that we needed to be the ones taking him out to them b/c they wouldn't come in). So we missed out on that entirely.

We were rushing anyway, to get DH and DS "pretty" for the shows (I am not a show person and liked to hang out with my aunt and some wine). The meal went on and on even though we didn't order all courses.

And apart from the last night, DS was never really up for going to the kid's club after the meal, even though he wanted to go. He was just tired.

We'll do early seating next time. He and DH want to see the one show they missed and have a redo of one of the others, so after dinner they will do that and after the show then DS can go to the kid's club all fed and happy. And maybe DH and I can have an uninterrupted drink somewhere on the ship.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Another vote for late dining. On vacation we are just on a later schedule, also we eat a big breakfast then eat lunch a little later (1:00-1:30) so we would not be ready to eat at the early dinner (5:45). We get a little extra time because you need to be at the early dinner at 5:45 the early show doesn't start until 6:15.

We usually get ready for dinner before the show, enjoy the show then a drink in one of the bars and then to dinner.

There is usually some sort of adults only entertainment ( usually one of the comedians on board with a less child friendly show) that starts around 10:30.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

We always go up on the top deck after the show IF we had Main Dining. We grab a couple of slices of pizza, or a taco (MAGIC only), or some fries! Would not change that for the world. But I am glad that there are people that perfer 2nd dining! Great thing is............. we all get to eat!

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Let me answer you this way; I will not book a cruise unless I can get early dinning. With a teenage son he wants to be running around with his friends in the evening and he gives me a hassle the entire cruise the one time we had late dinning. I know other parents that have said similar things. My guess, late dinning, less kids.

I would love to find someone that has the real statistics on who dines early vs late. You know someone at Disney has them.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
robhawk
DIS Veteran

Love late dining!
Much more relaxed pace.
Less kids at the shows & dining!
We go to the show then to Skyline or Meridien for a pre-dinner drink!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I think it totally depends on lifestyle, including if you are changing time zones. We are coming from the West Coast, so we are planning on staying up late and sleeping in, even with kids. We like staying up later as it is on vacations, so the late seating for us I think will work better.
If I were with 4 adults, I'd 100% do late seating. If you get hungry earlier, just grab a snack like fries or chicken strips while you watch the show.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
disneychic
DIS Veteran

The best part of late dining is that you never feel rushed during the day to get back and get ready for dinner! As others have mentioned you just seem to have a more relaxed pace during the day. When we cruise with family members with kids we do the early dining but the later dining really does have better benefits

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhawk View Post
Love late dining!
Much more relaxed pace.
Less kids at the shows & dining!
We go to the show then to Skyline or Meridien for a pre-dinner drink!
Absolutely on the money....

Our 1st Disney cruise was early dining, our 2 DDs (7 & 9 at the time) hated it in their opinion there were "to many little kids running around". 9 Disney cruises later all have been late dining & we would never go back to early dinner.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
tajz90
Mama D

We are basically an all adult family. Kids are 20 and 14. We prefer early. The late just seems so late. We like our food to settle before the evening activities. We don't really "like" kids so if 1st was overrun with them, I would probably avoid it. Maybe they're just more well behaved earlier We never notice an over abundance of kids.

Anyway, it's a personal choice. Good luck finding your seating.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: