Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

When Am I Charged?

Hello Everyone!!!

When are the excursions and other things charged to me??? Is it when I book them online through DCL or is it when I board the ship?

For example, my bookings do not open until April 23rd. If I book a "chocolate tasting" in Nassau online am I charged for the excursion right when I book it or is there another point in time I am charged?

I'm curious as I have about a month left before I book online and do all the necessary paperwork online.

Thanks for the info!!!
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Hello Everyone!!!

When are the excursions and other things charged to me??? Is it when I book them online through DCL or is it when I board the ship?

For example, my bookings do not open until April 23rd. If I book a "chocolate tasting" in Nassau online am I charged for the excursion right when I book it or is there another point in time I am charged?

I'm curious as I have about a month left before I book online and do all the necessary paperwork online.

Thanks for the info!!!
They are charged to your onboard account the day you do the excursion. A little clarification, you have up until 3 days prior to the CRUISE DEPATURE DATE to cancel with no penalty. After that time, you will be charged.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
They are charged to your onboard account the day you do the excursion. A little clarification, you have up until 3 days prior to the CRUISE DEPATURE DATE to cancel with no penalty. After that time, you will be charged.
Thank you for the information! I greatly appreciate it!!! That helps a lot to know they do not charge me immediately but upon the date of the excursion.....will have plenty of money to spend then!!!

Thanks!!!! I'm very excited for our first cruise ever and first cruise with DCL in July!!!
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

I thought that DCL charges you whenever you reach a certain threshold on you room account and that excursions are charged on the first day of the cruise
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
I thought that DCL charges you whenever you reach a certain threshold on you room account and that excursions are charged on the first day of the cruise
The charge is placed on your onboard account the day the excursion happens. When the actual charge hits your CC, I'm not sure of. There is a certain threshold (maybe $300?) when DCL will actually charge it to your credit card account.

The bill we get at the end of the cruise always shows our excursion charges on the day the excursion happens.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
This was our experience on both our cruises where we booked shore excursions. Other people report only being charged on the day of excursion (like Princess Shmoo). It does not appear to be consistent.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

As far as I know, tastings can't be booked on-line before the cruise. They are booked at Guest Services on the ship. The info by PP is accurate for port excursions, Palo, etc, nothing is charged at the time of on-line booking.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012, Magic WBTA 2014
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilland18 View Post
As far as I know, tastings can't be booked on-line before the cruise. They are booked at Guest Services on the ship. The info by PP is accurate for port excursions, Palo, etc, nothing is charged at the time of on-line booking.
The "chocolate tasting" in this case is an excursion in Nassau - Graycliff Chocolatier – The Art of Chocolate Making and Factory Tour.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Charges On Credit Card

All charges other than cruise itself were on the room bill that after the third day we got a statement in FE daily. The total bill was run against credit card on the day we left the ship.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
The "chocolate tasting" in this case is an excursion in Nassau - Graycliff Chocolatier – The Art of Chocolate Making and Factory Tour.
Sounds delicious! Wish I could go...
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
ktmo
Mouseketeer

I just got off of the Dream. My credit card was charged on the first full day, for all of our excursions. This didn't include our Palo meal, but for all the excursions. I only found this out when I went to add gift cards to my account. One of the excursions ended up being cancelled because of the weather/wind. I am now waiting for a refund, which I asked to go back to my credit card, but we'll see what happens.
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2013 - 4 nights on the Dream
October 2013 - Art of Animation
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
tukkerlove
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmo View Post
I just got off of the Dream. My credit card was charged on the first full day, for all of our excursions. This didn't include our Palo meal, but for all the excursions. I only found this out when I went to add gift cards to my account. One of the excursions ended up being cancelled because of the weather/wind. I am now waiting for a refund, which I asked to go back to my credit card, but we'll see what happens.
So if I want to avoid this happening, I need to have my TA load my account with the gift cards I currently have, so they charge those first, correct? Putting them on the account when we get to the ship woudl be too late?
tukkerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Hello Everyone!!!

Thanks for the info!!!
OP, others have explained about not having the charges made at the time of booking. Other cruise lines do charge you for excursion reservations at the time you make them - DCL doesn't which is really good for us because we sometimes need to change our plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkerlove View Post
So if I want to avoid this happening, I need to have my TA load my account with the gift cards I currently have, so they charge those first, correct? Putting them on the account when we get to the ship woudl be too late?
You could have your TA load your account with your gift cards, or you could go by guest services soon after sailing and have them applied at that point. You can't do it on board pre-sailing because they are still boarding people and their computer systems need to wait. You can go by and ask when the best time to come back it and they'll let you know what to do. Depending on how much $$ you have and what other things you'll be charging onboard (like gift shop, laundry, drinks, gratuities), even if your CC is charged on the first day, then the gift cards would apply to the other items. Also they can reverse the CC charge when you apply the gift cards - they don't really like to do it, but they can.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
ktmo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkerlove View Post
Yes, now knowing what I know, this is what I would have done. Or that first night. I went back to guest services and they put a request that the refund be made to my credit card, but I am still waiting for it to show up on my account.
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2013 - 4 nights on the Dream
October 2013 - Art of Animation
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ah, sounds delicious.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012, Magic WBTA 2014
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: