Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #91
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

My 8 year old son prefers to eat healthy. I'm not bragging, but given the choice between red pepper slices and chips, he'll pick the pepper. He is also a vegetarian by choice (DH & I are not). He was almost always upset about the limited kids choices at table service (non-buffet) meals. But because he also has a food allergy, when the chef came out and talked to him, the chef made him healthy food that he likes. Otherwise, it is mostly mac & cheese, which he likes, but he thinks it should be a treat food.

We eat less healthy when we eat out, but I'd like the menu to have a balance at least, so we can decide what we want, especially someplace like Disney, where you are on vacation and are eating all your meals out. And especially for kids.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #92
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
At the end of the day it is no surprise why obesity, diabetes and heart disease are such an epidemic. Take a look around Disney for the perfect example of over indulgence in food.
How did what I typed "Yes, but I thought you would know what I meant without having to type out all the types of unhealthy food people might eat" lead to this post?
amg35 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #93
zokaluse
Mouseketeer

I'd just like to see more variety on the kids menus. My kids have a very varied diet & others have commented on their sophisticated palette. DS 12 is fine as he will be ordering from the adult menu but for DD 4 that would be such a waste so she has extremely limited choice (she doesn't eat red meat out of choice .. She's never liked it even as a baby) so she will be left with the yuck looking mac n cheese or pizza .. Which is fine now & again. I have chosen our adr's carefully with this in mind & think out of them all (8 days worth across breakfast, lunch & dinner) there are 3 that I'll be sharing my meal with her instead of her having to have the kids meal..though she can have pizza once!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #94
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokaluse View Post
I'd just like to see more variety on the kids menus. My kids have a very varied diet & others have commented on their sophisticated palette. DS 12 is fine as he will be ordering from the adult menu but for DD 4 that would be such a waste so she has extremely limited choice (she doesn't eat red meat out of choice .. She's never liked it even as a baby) so she will be left with the yuck looking mac n cheese or pizza .. Which is fine now & again. I have chosen our adr's carefully with this in mind & think out of them all (8 days worth across breakfast, lunch & dinner) there are 3 that I'll be sharing my meal with her instead of her having to have the kids meal..though she can have pizza once!
There are better choices, though, if you choose your restaurants with the kids in mind. My kids love Teppan Edo because the kids' entrees are scaled-down versions of the adult meals, albeit with fewer choices (chicken or shrimp, but no steak or scallops). Quite a few Disney owned restaurants have a fish choice that is grilled fish (most often mahi-mahi) over rice pilaf. All of the signature restaurants except Brown Derby and Le Cellier have nicer kids' menus than the standard one used at non-signature restaurants.

My kids don't like Disney pizza or mac & cheese at all (except the homemade-style from California Grill), nor do they care for the Mickey ravioli or the wanna-be Chef Boyardee style sauce used on the kids' pasta dishes, and the youngest wouldn't eat anything breaded for a long time. We did a lot of choosing restaurants based on the kids' menus when we were using the dining plan. We don't do much counter service (preferring the deluxe dining package and two sit-down meals per day) so I'm not sure how the choices are there, but at table service and signature restaurants it is possible to get consistently better options for the kids than the standard kids' menu staples. It is easier without a dining plan, though - these days my 11yo and 4yo simply decide on something they can share, since they have similar tastes and neither needs a full entree to herself.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #95
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
When I look at how my parents and all the neighbors ate, it wasn't remotely what is being pushed as "healthy" today. Breakfast was coffee, juice, eggs and bacon and white toast. Lunch was tuna melts, or grilled cheese and tomato soup, or hamburgers, with some cucumber salad. Dinner was a small salad slathered in dressing, fried chicken, or some sort of meat with thick mashed potatoes and gravy, and a veggie soaked in butter. And pie for dessert!

In between, of course, were the drinks and the cigarettes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post

My grandparents ate the same breakfast every single day of their married life - 2 fried eggs, 2 bacon slices, 2 sausage links, buttered toast, and tomato juice with pepper in it. Lunch was usually liverwurst and raw onion on buttered white bread (gag) and dinner was always meat, potatoes, veg, and..buttered white bread.

Grandpa lived to 93 years old. (my grandma died in her mid 70's of something totally not related to diet, etc).

However, he also didn't sit in front of a TV for hours a day. He didn't supplement his diet with pop, chips, any kind of snack. He was always out gardening, walking, playing with grandkids, playing with the dog, working on his car, etc.

People need to MOVE more.
Exactly. But I do think it is more complex than just moving more. There were "desk jockeys" and people who preferred sedentary entertainment over active pursuits even in our parents' and grandparents' generations but obesity didn't explode as a national problem until relatively recently. I don't think we really know the full effect of the processed food products that have replaced the relatively simple foods humans ate until a generation or two ago, I don't think we account for how changes in the way that food is raised affects nutritional content, and I don't think we have even scratched the surface of understanding the other environmental influences from stress to noise to light to chemicals that pervade our food, water, and air.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #96
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Most of the fast food places that so many like to criticize have tried more healthy options but they don't sell. It's great that so many seem to be aware of what they shouldn't eat but it also appears that many if not most of those people just don't care and eat what they want.

Again, salads are fine and again, watch the dressing. A little goes a long way.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #97
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Most of the fast food places that so many like to criticize have tried more healthy options but they don't sell. It's great that so many seem to be aware of what they shouldn't eat but it also appears that many if not most of those people just don't care and eat what they want.

Again, salads are fine and again, watch the dressing. A little goes a long way.
I think the reason healthy things don't sell at places like McDonalds and other popular fast food places is because someone looking for a healthy meal won't go there in the first place. People go to McDonalds for a burger and fries. They might sell some but not enough to keep the items on the menu long term.

I am one of those tofu and mung bean eating vegans and I would never step into a McDonalds in the first place. It is rare I eat out but on the odd occasion I do I go to an extremely busy and popular local place that serves made to order salads, sandwiches and soups. Fresh, quick, healthy and a great price, that's where I'll go.

As far as people being more overweight then previous generations I believe a lot of factors are at play. One factor being portion sizes. Take a look at a standard McDonalds meal 40+ years ago compared to todays meal. Bigger burger, bigger fries, bigger soft drink. Plus people ate there occasionally not several times a week.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #98
ellone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post

As far as people being more overweight then previous generations I believe a lot of factors are at play. One factor being portion sizes. Take a look at a standard McDonalds meal 40+ years ago compared to todays meal. Bigger burger, bigger fries, bigger soft drink. Plus people ate there occasionally not several times a week.

Compared to previous generations we have a lot more chemicals in our food. In fact some processed foods have chemicals that make you crave them more.

I wasn't overweight, but since I cut out processed foods for the most part (the ones I do eat are organic so strange chemicals aren't in them) I've list weight. It was a gradual weight loss so I didn't notice at first.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #99
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone View Post
Compared to previous generations we have a lot more chemicals in our food. In fact some processed foods have chemicals that make you crave them more.

I wasn't overweight, but since I cut out processed foods for the most part (the ones I do eat are organic so strange chemicals aren't in them) I've list weight. It was a gradual weight loss so I didn't notice at first.
I agree with you that that could be a factor as well, like I said a lot of factors are at play. Processed foods also tend to be higher in fat, sodium, sugar, calories ect. than whole foods. Since people are eating more processed foods then whole foods that could be an issue as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #100
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

When I am at Disney, the LAST thing on my mind is whether or not my kids are eating "healthy" meals. We are on vacation, a few days of mac-and-cheese and fries won't kill them. Although, I must say, DD9 is the only kid's meal eater, and most of the time, she'd rather go to a signature for a steak and a salad, or a buffet so she can pick and choose. She's never been much of a "kid's food" kind of kid.

When we go to fast food at home (rarely), the one thing I do wish they would change is to stop adding those truly NASTY sliced apples to the meals. Have you ever really eaten those things? They are soaked in some solution to keep them from browning and they get all slimy and funny-tasting. I have no problem telling the person taking my order, "NO apples, please give us back our fries instead". If they would offer a cup of applesauce or some other sort of (real, not processed) fruit we'd be OK, but those apple slices are horrid, in our opinion.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #101
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
I think the reason healthy things don't sell at places like McDonalds and other popular fast food places is because someone looking for a healthy meal won't go there in the first place. People go to McDonalds for a burger and fries. They might sell some but not enough to keep the items on the menu long term.

I am one of those tofu and mung bean eating vegans and I would never step into a McDonalds in the first place. It is rare I eat out but on the odd occasion I do I go to an extremely busy and popular local place that serves made to order salads, sandwiches and soups. Fresh, quick, healthy and a great price, that's where I'll go.

Which is why I get tired of allthe criticism of fast food places. Mcdonalds, bk etc are not mind controllers, they are not "luring" unsuspecting people into their places and forcing fat and salt down their throats.
You want your kid to eat healthy than stop putting the burden on mcdonalds, pull up your adult panties and eat elsewhere.

Disney's counter service information is all over the place. You're into health food, you get there and then start kevetching that you don't like the offerings and yet Disney is supposed to change a very sucessful business model for a minority?

Yes portion sizes are bigger but once again, why is that? because the market says that, that is what sells most. You mean to tell me that people are so stupid they can no longer figure out that drinking a bath tub size of soda contains a lot of sugar?

The Dis is fantasy land. only here does every ones kids prefer fish and tofu over chips and mickey bars. Disney is NOT stupid, my family owned a restaurant successfuly for 30 years in NYC, we did it by selling what the consumer wanted. We sold 50X more fried chicken than grilled salmon. food and merchandise is where disney gets the most mark up, if tofu bars and carrot sticks sold then better believe that's what disney would sell.

So please stop blaming the establishment for this countries obesity problem. even little children, some one is purchasing the stuff for them. If you are overweight and can't figure out that Mcdonalds is fattening don't blame Mcdonalds.

I think it's so funny how on the thread about the man winning a law suit against disney for being stuck on a broken ride, every one was proclaiming how some one with his medical issues should have "known" about the hazards or how people should assume that a ride breaks down, yet everyone also thinks Disney is some how responsible for making sure you eat how you want to eat.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #102
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

Which is why I get tired of allthe criticism of fast food places. Mcdonalds, bk etc are not mind controllers, they are not "luring" unsuspecting people into their places and forcing fat and salt down their throats.
You want your kid to eat healthy than stop putting the burden on mcdonalds, pull up your adult panties and eat elsewhere.

Disney's counter service information is all over the place. You're into health food, you get there and then start kevetching that you don't like the offerings and yet Disney is supposed to change a very sucessful business model for a minority?

Yes portion sizes are bigger but once again, why is that? because the market says that, that is what sells most. You mean to tell me that people are so stupid they can no longer figure out that drinking a bath tub size of soda contains a lot of sugar?

The Dis is fantasy land. only here does every ones kids prefer fish and tofu over chips and mickey bars. Disney is NOT stupid, my family owned a restaurant successfuly for 30 years in NYC, we did it by selling what the consumer wanted. We sold 50X more fried chicken than grilled salmon. food and merchandise is where disney gets the most mark up, if tofu bars and carrot sticks sold then better believe that's what disney would sell.

So please stop blaming the establishment for this countries obesity problem. even little children, some one is purchasing the stuff for them. If you are overweight and can't figure out that Mcdonalds is fattening don't blame Mcdonalds.

I think it's so funny how on the thread about the man winning a law suit against disney for being stuck on a broken ride, every one was proclaiming how some one with his medical issues should have "known" about the hazards or how people should assume that a ride breaks down, yet everyone also thinks Disney is some how responsible for making sure you eat how you want to eat.
You are missing the point. People can only eat at Disney what is provided to them.

McDonald's is the destination; therefore, people go there knowing what they will order.

Disney is the destination; therefore, they should offer varied foods on their property, as they do. They feed millions of people, from many different countries; therefore, it's good business to offer varied foods.

Some of us are wishing for more healthy options though, as whether you believe it or not, some of us, kids included, do not eat fast food. But to be honest, even some of the healthy options are too salty or doused in butter. We ask for steamed veggies, no sauces, etc and pretty much only eat table service when at Disney.

What did people eat before fast food? Americans are obsessed with fast food and pop because it is everywhere. It has become a lifestyle choice, and it defines American culture. If fast food ceased to exist, what would people eat?

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Last edited by Tiger926; 03-30-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #103
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
You are missing the point. People can only eat at Disney what is provided to them.

McDonald's is the destination; therefore, people go there knowing what they will order.

Disney is the destination; therefore, they should offer varied foods on their property, as they do. They feed millions of people, from many different countries; therefore, it's good business to offer varied foods.

Some of us are wishing for more healthy options though, as whether you believe it or not, some of us, kids included, do not eat fast food. But to be honest, even some of the healthy options are too salty or doused in butter. We ask for steamed veggies, no sauces, etc and pretty much only eat table service when at Disney.

What did people eat before fast food? Americans are obsessed with fast food and pop because it is everywhere. It has become a lifestyle choice, and it defines American culture. If fast food ceased to exist, what would people eat?

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
What did people eat before fast food? They ate at counters and ordered high fat meat and potatoes and some boiled veggie. It's interesting when you read about how eating out has changed.

I think that the mention of McD's is because that particular chain of restaurants has been so heavily criticized for serving unhealthy food. They have tried to introduce healthier options time and time again but people reject those and yet still complain about how unhealthy McDonalds is. It's not logical.

I agree that portion sizes have changed but those smaller portions are still on the menu. People CHOOSE the bigger sizes and you have to wonder why. Disney could at least match McDonald's by offering smaller portions.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #104
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Before fast food joint people cooked their own food.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #105
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
Before fast food joint people cooked their own food.
Not exclusively and not for a while. People have always enjoyed eating out. McDonald's started in the 40's so it's not exactly a new idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: