Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #61
Inga
DIS Veteran
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Canada
Posts: 514

It seems like the opinions are already made up here, no need for my further input, signing off...


Inga
__________________
WDW 95, 96, 00, 02, 04, 05, 05, 06, 08, 11
DLParis 98
DCruiseLine 99, 01, 07
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13
Aulani April and May 2014!
"DVC is you and me!" -Deevy See

Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #62
Inga
DIS Veteran
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Canada
Posts: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post

Uh, sounds like that's exactly what you are saying.
I am not responsible for the stories you are making up in your head.
__________________
WDW 95, 96, 00, 02, 04, 05, 05, 06, 08, 11
DLParis 98
DCruiseLine 99, 01, 07
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13
Aulani April and May 2014!
"DVC is you and me!" -Deevy See

Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #63
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Wow, interesting thread.

I am all for having choice, as long as the choices are balanced. At Disney (and everywhere else for that matter) we are bombarded with crappy food choices. Salt, sugar and fat. It is well documented that these substances have addictive properties yet we are surrounded by the sights and smells of it. I would like to be bombarded with as many healthy choices as poor choices.

Crappy food is made palatable by adding salt, sugar and fat, take that away and the crappy food tastes crappy.

All you need to do is people watch for a few moments at WDW and you will see the epidemic in front of your eyes. Complicated by cheap and accessible crappy food.

Why do we need to continue to see food as a reward, whether it be on vacation or otherwise? Isn't the greatest reward of vacation being together as a family? Why do we always have to seek reward through over consumption? I use the word 'we' because I am in it too!

I have a sense that many posters don't think that providing their children with a treat now and that it isn't a big deal while on vacation. I am sure this is true. However, how many morbidly obese children (and adults) do you see out and about at Disney? A lot! Obviously some of these obese kids are not just having their treats on vacation only.
What chance does someone have when 90% of the choices are unhealthy?

This is the first generation of children who will have a shorter life span than their parents.

Something is significantly wrong here.

Inga
Because historically that's how our society works. Food is used as a lynch pin of our celebrations. What in Canada you don't have Christmas or easter Dinners? Food has long been a way to celebrate. The Pilgrims did not get together for the first thanksgiving over a game of soccer, they did it with a feast. I have absolutely no problem with it.

I'm having Easter dinner, I'm having a big fat ham with pineapples and syrup glaze, Mac and cheese with heavy duty gruyere cheese (none of that low fat crap), mash sweet potatoes with tons of butter, collard greens cooked in pigs feet (or neck bones), string beans cooked in fatback, corn bread and a big ole cheesecake factory oreo cookie cheesecake. If my guest can't push themselves from the table then they can stay home.

So what when we go on vacation just because we're together we have to live on celery and stardust? WE LIKE FOOD! We like good food. I'm going to Paris in a few months. Sorry there are obese people in the world but I plan on have quite a few croissants, macaroons, and a ton of Berthillion ice cream.

Now I'm not an expert on obesity so I'm not going to jump in on that fight but sorry if you can get yourself to disney you should be able to tell Jr he
can't have 12 mickey ice cream bars.

IT'S MY CHOICE TO EAT JUNK and I DON'T WANT DISNEY or anyone else turning into the food police.

And guess what I some how manage to exercise, go to the doctor every year for a complete physical, no issues except bad knees and still eat a mcdonald french fry. My kids are thin and are competing in college sports and oh the horror, they ate pizza, waffles with butter and syrup and burgers at Mcdonald's last week on spring break so I guess "being" together wasn't enough.
__________________
"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." ...John Adams

Last edited by eliza61; 03-29-2013 at 08:15 AM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #64
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
That has been clarified.

You can believe whatever you want about the obesity epidemic, but as far as I'm concerned it starts at home. It starts with parents not allowing their kids to eat nothing but junk. It requires them to be the "bad guy" when their kids are whining they want to go to McDs for the 3rd day in a row. It requires parents to get their kids off the couch and computers and force them to spend the day outside. It may even require you as the parent to go out and do something active with them. It requires self discipline and doing the hard thing, and that is where it becomes complicated because a lot of people want to do the easy thing. Then when something happens, in this case "the obesity epidemic" its easier (and of course so PC) to say something has to change instead of saying someone.
Yes, it is 'personal responsibility' unless there is a health issue (this is rarely the issue, but blamed a lot). I love my junk food, but I know it has to be in moderation. I work 'hard' to keep a healthy weight, and I would venture to say (unlike some may think) that will power is a 'huge' part of keeping what you eat in balance. BUT, at Disney, I eat like a kid in a candy store.

Back to the kid's dinning issue. BOG restaurant offered a lot of kid's choices that were 'grown up' in content and boy, did that generate some threads against it. So many parents were saying they would not eat there because it didn't have 'kid friendly' offerings, ie. nuggets, burgers, mac & cheese, etc. So there are plenty parents out there who do not just let their children eat junk at Disney, or in moderation other times, but this is their daily foods of choice at home. They haven't been taught from toddlers to eat healthy foods. So, Disney, or any other restaurants, cannot please everybody. As others have said, they are not (and shouldn't be) the food police.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #65
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
It is naive to think that obesity is an individual decision and responsibility given our present culture, and the state of affairs of our health. It is an issue of survival which I hope as humans we take this on as a collective.

Inga
Really? Like someone can tell you how, or when, to eat whatever? 'No one' tells me what to eat. I personally 'choose' each day what I will eat. It is MY responsibility, and no one else. I keep myself healthy by 'choosing' to exercise, and keep my weight down by eating healthy most of the time, and junk in moderation, and that means whatever I want on vacation -MY choice, no one esle.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #66
Tinetine
Earning My Ears
 
Tinetine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Really? Like someone can tell you how, or when, to eat whatever? 'No one' tells me what to eat. I personally 'choose' each day what I will eat. It is MY responsibility, and no one else. I keep myself healthy by 'choosing' to exercise, and keep my weight down by eating healthy most of the time, and junk in moderation, and that means whatever I want on vacation -MY choice, no one esle.


Yes, but you are lucky to be able to choose healthy food . A lot of people live far from a decent grocery store and must depend on convenience stores for food. I am lucky to be able to afford a treamill , and luckier still to have enough room in my home to store it. I agree with you, it is a choice to live a healthy lifestyle , but for some, the choice has been made for them. Lack of ressources, lack of information is also a factor in this obesity epidemic.

I don't think anyone should be told what to eat, when or where to eat it. I believe information is crucial, though. I want to know what I'm eating when I eat at a restaurant . I don't expect Disney, or any other food provider, to have my best interest in mind, therefore I want the power to choose what I put in my body .
__________________
[
Tinetine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #67
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,567

I don't want restaurants being forced to monitor what we eat. Eating healthy isn't rocket science (even though many seem to think so) and it's our individual responsibility to educate ourselves. We can all decide for ourselves what to eat and don't need the government or any other entity being involved in that decision.

I do agree that obesity is happening at record levels now but that seems to be happening with more and more education. I don't think that restaurants changing food choices will help much because people can just as easily go home and eat the wrong foods if that is what they desire. It seems to me that there really isn't a solution at this time.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #68
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinetine View Post
Yes, but you are lucky to be able to choose healthy food . A lot of people live far from a decent grocery store and must depend on convenience stores for food. I am lucky to be able to afford a treamill , and luckier still to have enough room in my home to store it. I agree with you, it is a choice to live a healthy lifestyle , but for some, the choice has been made for them. Lack of ressources, lack of information is also a factor in this obesity epidemic.
I do have an elliptical machine, 'but' walking, or various other forms of 'moving' is available to all. As far as not being near grocery stores with fresh food - frozen veggies, etc. have been proven to be just as good, sometimes better. Also, most people don't seem to have a problem getting to the nearest fast food rest. to eat when they want. There aren't too many people that 'can't' get to where they want in this country.

It boils down most cases to 'not' wanting to cook from scratch, as it's much easier to buy boxed/canned/frozen convenience foods, or fast foods because that's what the family wants. It also costs more. I still don't think a lot of this is an 'excuse' although our government would like people to believe it, thus feeding said excuses.

Also, there are government programs that teach parents with small children good nutrition, if they can't figure it out from common sense, but I actually think most parents in that category 'know' but don't live the example, or teach it.

Anyway, just my feelings, in this country there is 'mostly' no excuses for not giving our children nutritious meals.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #69
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,567

Fast food restaurants also offer salads and other healthier options. Just watching the dressing and you can eat something better for you than a Big Mac and fries. (Even if the Big Mac tastes better. )
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #70
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran
 
Chikabowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 797

"Salad," by title alone, does not necessarily make a healthy meal at either a fast food or sit down restaurant. Often times they can be some of the worst options on a menu for either a child or adult.

I just don't understand why MORE healthy options can't be offered (well, I do understand - it's cheaper and easier, thus a higher profit margin, to feed the masse junk. Plus when people eat junk, they actually eat MORE junk and thus increase profits.). Would it kill someone who is looking at that pizza on the menus to see a a side menu of great options too?

I think Disney does a horrible job of offering choices. The typical sides offered to children are baby carrots, grapes, melon, or apple slices. Try and get something different and nothing will be available. There are only so many combinations of those 4 things you can eat 3-4 times daily over a course of 5-10 days before you need some kind of variance.

Finding a vegetable in Disney is nearly impossible. The veggie cups are ridiculous - 1 floret of broccoli, 4 3" piece of celery, 2 baby carrots (again) and 1 grape tomato? The ranch cup they offered was bigger than 50% of the size of the cup. I won't complain about price because I'm willing to be an absolute premium to get healthy options... but sourcing those options is nearly impossible.

I also have no problem (and typically do) order my children an adult menu item to split between the two. But again... finding vegetables is almost impossible for even adult menu items - sit down or fast food (which we don't do any type of counter service at Disney).

Again... options. Variance.
All those things would go miles in giving people the option of doing what they want. This isn't a healthy vs. not healthy debate... The two sides can be offered and one does not have to be sacrificed for the other.
__________________
Susan

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #71
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,567

Dressings are what kill salads. You can usually control that. You can also avoid processed meats and cheeses if those are offered.

I see nothing wrong with offering more variety but I imagine that they don't due to costs. Even in those less healthy meals you usually can't get anything besides fries. Disney will offer the bare minimum in order to keep their expenses down.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #72
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran
 
Poohforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Obesity is a complicated issue, and thinking that if folks just had the willpower to say no (while bombarded with junk food) is not realistic nor effective in the obesity battle. It is not solely a issue of willpower. Systems also need to shift to make an impact.

United we stand, divided we fall can apply here...

Inga
Actually, as someone who spent much of her childhood into early20's overweight and borderline obese I know 1st hand that it actually does boil down to willpower and facing reality. I unfortunately spent a good deal of that time living in denial and no amount of persuasion or control did any good. I always found a way to get the food I wanted.

It wasn't until I wanted to face my problem and do something about it that I lost weight and have been able to maintain a healthy weight for over 20 years. I feel very sad when I see girls grossly overweight because I know the sadness that they'll face as their friends start dating and moving on in life.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #73
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post

Actually, as someone who spent much of her childhood into early20's overweight and borderline obese I know 1st hand that it actually does boil down to willpower and facing reality. I unfortunately spent a good deal of that time living in denial and no amount of persuasion or control did any good. I always found a way to get the food I wanted.

It wasn't until I wanted to face my problem and do something about it that I lost weight and have been able to maintain a healthy weight for over 20 years. I feel very sad when I see girls grossly overweight because I know the sadness that they'll face as their friends start dating and moving on in life.
This may work for a teen or adult, but not children. They eat what is provided to them by their parents/guardians.

Perhaps if restaurants offer varied choices, these kids may be provided healthier options?

Honestly, there is no problem with restaurants providing healthier (if indeed they are really healthier) options at all, since no one is forcing anyone to eat that food. Most restaurants don't though due to cost, and their worry that people won't eat that food.

Such an interesting thread, Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #74
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night
 
Sparkly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
The chocolate milk is the nutritional star of that meal, sadly.
I remember on our first trip I drank a lot of chocolate milk because I didn't like fizzy drinks. According to Mum she thought it was the healthiest choice!
__________________

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip! ~ The One Where I Finally Ride Splash????

Sparkly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #75
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikabowa View Post
"Salad," by title alone, does not necessarily make a healthy meal at either a fast food or sit down restaurant. Often times they can be some of the worst options on a menu for either a child or adult.

I just don't understand why MORE healthy options can't be offered (well, I do understand - it's cheaper and easier, thus a higher profit margin, to feed the masse junk. Plus when people eat junk, they actually eat MORE junk and thus increase profits.). Would it kill someone who is looking at that pizza on the menus to see a a side menu of great options too?

I think Disney does a horrible job of offering choices. The typical sides offered to children are baby carrots, grapes, melon, or apple slices. Try and get something different and nothing will be available. There are only so many combinations of those 4 things you can eat 3-4 times daily over a course of 5-10 days before you need some kind of variance.

Finding a vegetable in Disney is nearly impossible. The veggie cups are ridiculous - 1 floret of broccoli, 4 3" piece of celery, 2 baby carrots (again) and 1 grape tomato? The ranch cup they offered was bigger than 50% of the size of the cup. I won't complain about price because I'm willing to be an absolute premium to get healthy options... but sourcing those options is nearly impossible.

I also have no problem (and typically do) order my children an adult menu item to split between the two. But again... finding vegetables is almost impossible for even adult menu items - sit down or fast food (which we don't do any type of counter service at Disney).

Again... options. Variance.
All those things would go miles in giving people the option of doing what they want. This isn't a healthy vs. not healthy debate... The two sides can be offered and one does not have to be sacrificed for the other.
There were some chain fast food places here a few years ago (may have been nation wide, don't know) that offered several healthier options both for adults and children. Guess what? They stopped them because (drum roll) they DIDN'T sell! Imagine that? Sure, a few people like yourself, would have ordered a certain amount of them. But, the majority of people wanted and ordered the 'junk' foods. Including myself the few times I let myself 'indulge', I want the 'junk' (burger & fries).

So, we can't put the blame on Disney and other places when they don't offer a lot of variety of 'healthier' foods if they won't sell. I disagree about them costing that much more, because I know I can cook much cheaper with veggies, fruits, than I would get a lot of junk food for. Disney, especially, can get bulk veggies relatively cheaply. BUT, they must sell, at least as good as the 'junk'. Again, I mentioned already about the 'outcry' from parents on the better BOG kid's offerings! A lot, granted not all, wanted junk for their kids because that's what they (the kids) want!

And salads, don't get me started! The people I've heard, and seen, that declare they and their kiddies are eating healthy because they have a big salad first (WITH a 1/4 c. minimum high fat dressing).
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.