Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #46
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Wow, interesting thread.

I am all for having choice, as long as the choices are balanced. At Disney (and everywhere else for that matter) we are bombarded with crappy food choices. Salt, sugar and fat. It is well documented that these substances have addictive properties yet we are surrounded by the sights and smells of it. I would like to be bombarded with as many healthy choices as poor choices.

Crappy food is made palatable by adding salt, sugar and fat, take that away and the crappy food tastes crappy.

All you need to do is people watch for a few moments at WDW and you will see the epidemic in front of your eyes. Complicated by cheap and accessible crappy food.

Why do we need to continue to see food as a reward, whether it be on vacation or otherwise? Isn't the greatest reward of vacation being together as a family? Why do we always have to seek reward through over consumption? I use the word 'we' because I am in it too!

I have a sense that many posters don't think that providing their children with a treat now and that it isn't a big deal while on vacation. I am sure this is true. However, how many morbidly obese children (and adults) do you see out and about at Disney? A lot! Obviously some of these obese kids are not just having their treats on vacation only.
What chance does someone have when 90% of the choices are unhealthy?

This is the first generation of children who will have a shorter life span than their parents.

Something is significantly wrong here.

Inga
Well they still have a 10% chance.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #47
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

What your family eats is no business of anyone else's but yours, except in my country of Canada where my tax dollars are paying for health care, and so we are in trouble in this respect as we are seriously in debt in the area of health care, and some of that could be improved with better eating, no smoking and more exercise.

If menus are varied, but not too varied, then more people are happy, which means more profits for the company. It's as simple as that!

Disney, McDonald's, Applebee's, etc, spend lots of time and money watching what people consume and don't consume in their restaurants. If you like their menus, enjoy! If you don't, find other options.

We eat out minimally, mostly a bit while at Disney, and it is difficult for us at times, so we prefer cooking ourselves. Kids do have a french fry once in awhile, and I am not concerned as their diet is good on a daily and consistent basis. That is my job as their parent...I don't leave that up to anyone else.

We all have choices, and that is good, IMHO, Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Last edited by Tiger926; 03-29-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #48
Inga
DIS Veteran

It is naive to think that obesity is an individual decision and responsibility given our present culture, and the state of affairs of our health. It is an issue of survival which I hope as humans we take this on as a collective.

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13
Aulani April and May 2014!
"DVC is you and me!" -Deevy See

Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #49
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
It is naive to think that obesity is an individual decision and responsibility given our present culture, and the state of affairs of our health. It is an issue of survival which I hope as humans we take this on as a collective.

Inga
Aside from medical conditions and medications causing obesity, it is an individual decision and individuals are responsible for themself. We all have the power to say no to junk and yes to an active lifestyle.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #50
Inga
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post

Aside from medical conditions and medications causing obesity, it is an individual decision and individuals are responsible for themself. We all have the power to say no to junk and yes to an active lifestyle.
Obesity is a complicated issue, and thinking that if folks just had the willpower to say no (while bombarded with junk food) is not realistic nor effective in the obesity battle. It is not solely a issue of willpower. Systems also need to shift to make an impact.

United we stand, divided we fall can apply here...

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13

Old 03-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #51
luvmy3

Quote:
Obesity is a complicated issue, and thinking that if folks just had the willpower to say no (while bombarded with junk food) is not realistic nor effective in the obesity battle. It is not solely a issue of willpower. Systems also need to shift to make an impact.

Inga
"The obesity battle" and "system shifting"?

Its easy to win the battle, don't over eat junk. That will shift your system.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #52
Inga
DIS Veteran

Quote:

"The obesity battle" and "system shifting"?

Its easy to win the battle, don't over eat junk. That will shift your system.
If it is so easy, they why do we have a problem that is an epidemic?

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #53
luvmy3

Quote:
If it is so easy, they why do we have a problem that is an epidemic?

Inga
I didn't mean it would be an easy process. Most things worth doing, aren't.

The reason he have the epidemic is because it is hard. People take the easy way out, blame others and expect others to help them. Like I said, we all have the power to eat healthy, make sure we are active. Not all of us choose to exercise it (no pun intended).

Last edited by luvmy3; 03-29-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #54
Inga
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I never said it was easy
Yes, you seemed to have the solution all wrapped up in one line.

And actually, you did say it was easy in your response.

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13

Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #55
Inga
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The reason he have the epidemic is because it is hard. People take the easy way out, blame others and expect others to help them.
The literature would argue with you on this point.

And I would add for context that I am a skinny, exercise loving health professional.

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #56
penn19
DIS Veteran

Love coming to the DIS early in the morning and made to feel like a fat (I'm not by the way), junk food eating, dooming my kids forever, American.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #57
Inga
DIS Veteran

I don't think anyone is saying that. This is a conversation and has nothing to do with you specifically.

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13

Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #58
luvmy3

Quote:
Yes, you seemed to have the solution all wrapped up in one line.

And actually, you did say it was easy in your response.

Inga
That has been clarified.

You can believe whatever you want about the obesity epidemic, but as far as I'm concerned it starts at home. It starts with parents not allowing their kids to eat nothing but junk. It requires them to be the "bad guy" when their kids are whining they want to go to McDs for the 3rd day in a row. It requires parents to get their kids off the couch and computers and force them to spend the day outside. It may even require you as the parent to go out and do something active with them. It requires self discipline and doing the hard thing, and that is where it becomes complicated because a lot of people want to do the easy thing. Then when something happens, in this case "the obesity epidemic" its easier (and of course so PC) to say something has to change instead of saying someone.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #59
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Most people will take the easy, convenient, efficient and cheapest options, especially if at Disney. But most importantly, they are going to eat how they normally eat.

The counter service restaurants are full because this is what people know (also due to time constraints on busy schedules, where time is of the essence), but that isn't relevant to this discussion.

If more varied options are provided, that may be good for some of us, but I still believe millions of Disney guests prefer less healthy options, and Disney absolutely know this.

Eating is psychological and a learned behavior, so changing habits is a long, hard road.

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #60
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying that. This is a conversation and has nothing to do with you specifically.

Inga
Uh, sounds like that's exactly what you are saying.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: