Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #31
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post

So why care what Disney serves as kids meals?
Because some restaurants don't have appropriate adult meals or the meals are costly. When we ate at more Disney restaurants, my babes would eat adult food at character buffets as the kids's offerings are yucky.

It would be nice to have mini versions of adult meals, but so many places just seem to serve unhealthy kid junk food.

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #32
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Did you read my response? I said my kids have been ordering healthy adult meals for years.

Don't eat out a lot at all, but kids rarely eat kids' meals.

Because a vacation can only be a vacation if one does not cook nor clean?

Vacation for us is about the destination, not acting differently than we do at home.

Same here!

We all have different ideas of what a vacation is.

Tiger

Exactly. We all have VERY different ideas. On MY, notice I said MY vacation, I don't cook or clean. PERIOD. I do this everyday all day, I don't work outside the home so this is my job and when I go away, I leave my job at home and I don't take it with me. If you don't want to that is fine, but a vacation to me is not only the destination, but also acting very different than I do at home, otherwise I wouldn't spend my money. Others, like you disagree and that is fine. But it doesn't happen on my vacation.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #33
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post

Exactly. We all have VERY different ideas. On MY, notice I said MY vacation, I don't cook or clean. PERIOD. I do this everyday all day, I don't work outside the home so this is my job and when I go away, I leave my job at home and I don't take it with me. If you don't want to that is fine, but a vacation to me is not only the destination, but also acting very different than I do at home, otherwise I wouldn't spend my money. Others, like you disagree and that is fine. But it doesn't happen on my vacation.
Yup, that is what I said. Not sure why you felt the need to repeat it?

Some people want to eat junk or fast food, whole others of us do not. Restaurants can provide a varied menu, especially for children, and then it ensures there is something for everyone, no matter how one chooses to vacation.

Tiger

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #34
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I always find it confusing when people say they eat what they want because they are on vacation. I don't understand why it's preferable to have raised sodium, fat and sugar levels, and then expect people to feel good while on vacation?
I think the trick is in finding the middle ground - to indulge in enjoyable foods and dining experiences without overindulging to the point of feeling unwell. But I think people used to making healthy choices in everyday life can generally manage that. We generally choose a mix of lighter options and more indulgent dishes when we're at Disney, and I think they do a good job offering a range of selections. Sure, the preparations are still richer than I'd make at home - red wine sauce with the snapper, 'fireball' sauce with the sushi roll, bleu cheese and pecans on the salad - but it isn't all fatty, sugary, salty junk.

Really the only reason kids' meals are as big an issue as they are is the popularity of the dining plan - without it, people would just order an adult entree to share, or let the kids order from the appetizer menu, or share with younger children from their own oversized portions. That's what we've always done in places like Applebees; in most restaurants I can give half my entree to my daughters and still have more than enough to eat. But with a large percentage of Disney guests being on a plan that has them pre-paying for kids' meals, there's greater need to offer a variety of selections at that level in addition to the selections offered for adults.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #35
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yup, that is what I said. Not sure why you felt the need to repeat it?

Some people want to eat junk or fast food, whole others of us do not. Restaurants can provide a varied menu, especially for children, and then it ensures there is something for everyone, no matter how one chooses to vacation.

Tiger

I repeated it because number 1, I was agreeing with you, and number 2, you questioned if a vacation couldn't be a vacation unless you didn't cook or clean, this was a question, so I answered it. Is that a problem? I am so sorry that I didn't whole heartedly agree with you.

I don't want to eat junk food either and that is why I think restaurants should offer healthy or healthier choices.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Yes, we're all different, and that's a good thing - would be boring if everyone was exactly alike in their opinions. For us, vacations mean no rules, we eat when, where and whatever times we like, and whatever we choose to have at the time.

We will leave in a week for 10 nights at Disney, and we're already thinking about some of the places we'll eat, and the snacks that we look forward to. And no, we are not overweight, because we do not eat like that all the time.
We also, so far, (knock on wood) have never been sick on vacation, nor sick as soon as we've gotten home.

I do not cook while on vacation either. It's my vacation too, and thankfully my dh would have it no other way. I do love to cook, but get lots of practice while home.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #37
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Same here. Much the way that for my husband a vacation must involve very little driving, as he spends 3 hours commuting every day. To many people that would not be a big deal but for him it's crucial - it's what makes him able to relax and recharge.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #38
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I repeated it because number 1, I was agreeing with you, and number 2, you questioned if a vacation couldn't be a vacation unless you didn't cook or clean, this was a question, so I answered it. Is that a problem? I am so sorry that I didn't whole heartedly agree with you.

I don't want to eat junk food either and that is why I think restaurants should offer healthy or healthier choices.
No worries. We don't need to agree with each other at all, but I think we both wish that restaurants would offer healthier choices, so we do actually agree.

Tiger

Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post

I think the trick is in finding the middle ground - to indulge in enjoyable foods and dining experiences without overindulging to the point of feeling unwell. But I think people used to making healthy choices in everyday life can generally manage that. We generally choose a mix of lighter options and more indulgent dishes when we're at Disney, and I think they do a good job offering a range of selections. Sure, the preparations are still richer than I'd make at home - red wine sauce with the snapper, 'fireball' sauce with the sushi roll, bleu cheese and pecans on the salad - but it isn't all fatty, sugary, salty junk.

Really the only reason kids' meals are as big an issue as they are is the popularity of the dining plan - without it, people would just order an adult entree to share, or let the kids order from the appetizer menu, or share with younger children from their own oversized portions. That's what we've always done in places like Applebees; in most restaurants I can give half my entree to my daughters and still have more than enough to eat. But with a large percentage of Disney guests being on a plan that has them pre-paying for kids' meals, there's greater need to offer a variety of selections at that level in addition to the selections offered for adults.
Good points about dining plan.

Coming from a restaurant family my whole life, I can assure you that most chefs love salt, so many restaurant dishes are over indulgent in sodium. Chain restaurants like Applebees are dangerously high in sodium, so that makes it very difficult to eat healthier as you are over your daily limit in one meal. Pehaps that is why we see so many threads with people saying they only get sick at Disney?

It doesn't seem to be an issue for many here, but there are some of us for whom eating this way is not desirable for us, and so my ideal vacation is eating our meals in our villa.

Tiger

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #40
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Geez louise, talk about drama queens (and kings)!
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #41
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla
Lmao! Indeed!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...mer-group?lite

"Among the meals singled out was Applebees' grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread, fries and two percent chocolate milk, which has 1,210 calories, 62 grams of fat and 2,340 milligrams of sodium."

And I am quite sure Disney's chicken nugget meals with French Fries fare no better.

IMHO - I want my grandchildren to eat healthier than this.

I also appreciate that WDW offers healthy meal options, in addition to everything else. It's nice they have options for everyone.

My ds will throw chicken nuggets on the floor after one bite (he's 16mo, can't really hold it against him ). I tried on vacation, he still wants the healthy stuff he's used to.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #43
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinetine View Post
I think what is shocking is how high the amounts of calories, fat, sodium, carbs are in restaurant meals. I expect restaurant food to be higher in calories than what I prepare at home, but for 1 meal to reach the amount of calories needed in 1 day I think is just over the top. THat's true not just of fast food, which we expect to be an indulgence, but look at the pasta at Olive Garden (which I love, by the way). There is hardly a portion with less than 700 calories ! Add to that 1 breadstick and 1 bowl of salad , that's another 300 calories.
It really is no different than a lot of packaged food particularly when it comes to sodium. We enjoy treats on vacation but I don't look at it as a time to throw caution to the wind and eat garbage for every meal. Honestly I see the meals many people eat on the free dining plan and I feel ill just from the pictures. I can't imagine actually consuming them.

We aren't tofu and mung bean eating vegans but we (well really I) try to eat healthy everyday including vacation. Treats can be worked into a healthy eating plan of everything in moderation.

That being said, I don't want or expect a restaurant (include Disney) to act as the food police. I'm an intelligent adult and can make good chooses for myself and my child all on my own.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #44
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post

Personally I think it's a need to feel "superior" as in "my kids lips would never dare touch a french fry".

Disney and many places offer a wide variety of options. I never understand some of these comments. If you know applebees has high sodium, then for the love of God don't go!! What's the intention? to shame the rest of us into some how agreeing that fast food is junk and nasty? or to make us justify why we dare let our children eat chicken nuggets. I'm fully capable of going into Applebees and deciding what or what not to eat.

wdw is going to offering what the majority of dining population wants. If for some reason the earth starts spininng backward and families stop ordering burgers and fries, I have full faith that Disney will adjust accordingly.

And what's with all the "hate" for eating out? My dh and I were empty nesters, I'm financially secure and getting ready to retire. I enjoy eating out. I meet my friends and we'll pick great restaurants to try. I'm lucky I'm near 2 major cities with wonderful dining options. eating out does not have to be "gross" or unhealthy. Next weekend Atlantic city is having an international restaurant week, my kids are in school so I plan on definitely checking it out a couple times a week.

Last edited by eliza61; 03-29-2013 at 07:12 AM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #45
Inga
DIS Veteran

Wow, interesting thread.

I am all for having choice, as long as the choices are balanced. At Disney (and everywhere else for that matter) we are bombarded with crappy food choices. Salt, sugar and fat. It is well documented that these substances have addictive properties yet we are surrounded by the sights and smells of it. I would like to be bombarded with as many healthy choices as poor choices.

Crappy food is made palatable by adding salt, sugar and fat, take that away and the crappy food tastes crappy.

All you need to do is people watch for a few moments at WDW and you will see the epidemic in front of your eyes. Complicated by cheap and accessible crappy food.

Why do we need to continue to see food as a reward, whether it be on vacation or otherwise? Isn't the greatest reward of vacation being together as a family? Why do we always have to seek reward through over consumption? I use the word 'we' because I am in it too!

I have a sense that many posters don't think that providing their children with a treat now and that it isn't a big deal while on vacation. I am sure this is true. However, how many morbidly obese children (and adults) do you see out and about at Disney? A lot! Obviously some of these obese kids are not just having their treats on vacation only.
What chance does someone have when 90% of the choices are unhealthy?

This is the first generation of children who will have a shorter life span than their parents.

Something is significantly wrong here.

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13
Aulani April and May 2014!
"DVC is you and me!" -Deevy See

Inga is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: