Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Why I appreciate healthier kids meals at Disney

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...mer-group?lite

"Among the meals singled out was Applebees' grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread, fries and two percent chocolate milk, which has 1,210 calories, 62 grams of fat and 2,340 milligrams of sodium."

And I am quite sure Disney's chicken nugget meals with French Fries fare no better.

IMHO - I want my grandchildren to eat healthier than this.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

My philosophy has always been that any food is fair game while on vacation. I eat many of the wrong things and so did DS but we made sure to do better in our every day lives.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I don't care what a restaurant offers on their menu, I as the parent, am the one who makes the decision about what my kids eat. I don't expect a restaurant to have only healthy options, if I want my kid to always only eat healthy food, I'll feed them myself, not rely on Applebees or Disney to do it for me.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Eating out, whether at Applebees or Disney, is a treat and I never monitored what my kids or grandkids ordered. At home they never had that kind of food.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
almburr
DIS Veteran

eating out is a treat for our family. We don't have appetizers at home or dessert everyday. But when we go on vacation. Its fun to eat different things. At home I cook a very healthy menu.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
My philosophy has always been that any food is fair game while on vacation. I eat many of the wrong things and so did DS but we made sure to do better in our every day lives.
Yup. At the top of our "must do" list every single trip has been to share a few orders of corn dog nuggets and fries with cheese sauce at Caseys.

That said, DH gets sick every time we go on vacation from the food. Even when he tries to make healthier choices at restaurants it's still not the same as at home. He has issues even when we go visit family, but it's lovingly referred to as "The Disney (you-know-whats)"
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
1Mouse2RulethemAll
Mouseketeer

Almost every restaurant I have gone into has some healthy alternative to French fries for the kids. You just have to ask.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Contemporary-September 2009
Disneyland Hotel-October 2009
Disneyland Hotel-December 2010
Bay Lake Tower/MVMCP-December 2011
1Mouse2RulethemAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

As others have said, eating out should be a treat rather than a way of life. Splurging on vacation isn't the problem in our country - stopping at McDs or Wendys a few days a week is. And since Disney is pretty much the ultimate in "treats" - once a year even for some of the most devoted fans and once in a lifetime for many American kids - their kids menus have little impact on the issue as a whole.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I couldnt agree more re: the two below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I don't care what a restaurant offers on their menu, I as the parent, am the one who makes the decision about what my kids eat. I don't expect a restaurant to have only healthy options, if I want my kid to always only eat healthy food, I'll feed them myself, not rely on Applebees or Disney to do it for me.

While we're at disney on vacation, anything goes. I dont care if my son eats junk all week. While we're at home thou, its a different story. For the parents that want to count sodium mg and calories while at disney, good for you. But thats not how i want to vacation. One week of junk food wont kill us. I sure as heck dont want to stress myself about sodium and calories while on vacation.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mouse2RulethemAll View Post
Almost every restaurant I have gone into has some healthy alternative to French fries for the kids. You just have to ask.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Yep. They usually offer at least carrots, broccoli, grapes, applesauce or salad instead of fries, depending on the restaurant. It's almost always on the menu, and if it isn't, all you have to do is ask for options.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

I have to agree with most of the posters so far, when on vacation I am not worrying about all of that...if we have chocolate cake for breakfast one morning than great (just ask Bill Cosby)

They do not eat like that on a daily basis.

DS15 also doesnt like things very spicy, I dont cook like that at home, he may want something more bland at WDW, for some menus, yes chicken nuggets fits the bill
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

In my family too much junk food lowers our immune systems, stresses our bodies and makes us generally less healthy. For one or two meals there won't be a problem, but a week of vacation you bet there will be problems if they ate the average kids meal all week! DS will get a migraine (yes it is absolutely food-related, we know this for a fact) and all 3 will just get more and more irritable. Part of that is just the nature of travel, but part of it is the food - we see it at home too when I get lazy or busy and feed them too much low quality food.

This is one of the reasons we like staying in condos rather than hotel rooms - we like to prepare some of our own, simpler food than what we would order in a restaurant. We share a lot if we get counter service so that no-one really overeats. Yes we eat more treats and more rich food on vacation, but we do so much better on the whole if we try to balance that with "normal" eating too.

Probably not everyone reacts this way to low quality food. But I would also venture a guess that some people do but don't realize it. i.e. they may not connect the way they are feeling towards the end of the vacation, or the germs they inevitably bring home, to how they have been eating all week.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
4greatboys
I will be proud to wear my lime green ribbon and will be on the lookout for others
I have 4 boys-fortunately for me the 2 littles smell pretty good ;-)
YaYa Sister

I like places that offer junk food and healthier alternatives. Then [I]we[/I ]decide which one we want to eat.

4greatboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2_rocks! View Post
In my family too much junk food lowers our immune systems, stresses our bodies and makes us generally less healthy. For one or two meals there won't be a problem, but a week of vacation you bet there will be problems if they ate the average kids meal all week! DS will get a migraine (yes it is absolutely food-related, we know this for a fact) and all 3 will just get more and more irritable. Part of that is just the nature of travel, but part of it is the food - we see it at home too when I get lazy or busy and feed them too much low quality food.

This is one of the reasons we like staying in condos rather than hotel rooms - we like to prepare some of our own, simpler food than what we would order in a restaurant. We share a lot if we get counter service so that no-one really overeats. Yes we eat more treats and more rich food on vacation, but we do so much better on the whole if we try to balance that with "normal" eating too.

Probably not everyone reacts this way to low quality food. But I would also venture a guess that some people do but don't realize it. i.e. they may not connect the way they are feeling towards the end of the vacation, or the germs they inevitably bring home, to how they have been eating all week.
I agree with all of this and I also always get a condo so I can prepare some or most meals myself. If I eat at a restaurant I usually feel blah/sick after. My body is just used to greasy food. My kids are the same way, usually one person may order fries as a side and everyone might have a few. I will allow them to order pop or juice once or twice but other than that they have water. Eating unk food throughout the duration of the trip would make everyone miserable.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Yes, our kids & now grandchildren get treats at Disney. But they simply could not spend 9-10 days there and live on fast food. In the past, we have had to buy an adult entree and split it between the two of them to avoid yet another meal of chicken nuggets or pizza. Even at age 3 or 4 they ate what we ate for meals. I understand the whole we are on vacation thing and it works for me if it is just a long weekend. Heck, even when we used to drive to Disney, we didn't stop at fast food restaurants but chose a sit down instead.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: