Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
photos_101
Mouseketeer

Never flown before!! Need packing advice, please...

I have never flown before and it has been years since DH has. I need some advice and tips on packing!
Basically, I need your tips on what to take in my carry-on and what to put in checked bags. We will be flying out at 8:30am, arriving at Orlando at about noon. Going straight to POP to check in and then off to the parks! Since we have always had our car and could just leave bags in the trunk, thus at least had them accessible as soon as we arrived at the resort, I am a little lost as what to keep with me during the flight/arrival.
So please give me your tips on what to keep in my carry-on so that it will be with me upon arrival at the resort/parks.

I don't want to be stuck buying over priced necessities at the giftshops that I 'should' have just had in my carry on. That would be an unnecessary budget buster!!

Thanks in advance for your help!
photos_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
rachelmarisa
chase the morning, yield for nothing

There are many youtube videos with effective ways to pack carryons, and the TSA's official website has all the rules you must abide by. I believe the liquids rule is all liquids in a carryon must be in 3oz bottles in a 1 quart sized bag. This is especially tricky for women and all our beauty products
Drug stores, dollar stores, and grocery stores usually have the small bottles you can buy for travel use.

Other than that, I recommend you bring your own snacks and an empty water bottle you can fill up from a fountain. Opened drinks usually must be dumped at security. I also always wear comfortable shoes and a jacket because you never know how you'll feel on the plane. Don't forget gum or something chewy to pop your ears, drink plenty of water, and bring a book or other media.

Have fun!
+ 2010 WDW for Christmas
+ 2011 16th birthday present: first trip to DL
+ 2013 WDW Spring Break with my best friend
+ 2014 One day at WDW

rachelmarisa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

I agree about making sure you abide by the TSA restrictions. Here are some other suggestions for carry-ons:

Any money or jewelry you will be bringing
Set of pajamas or a sleeping outfit
One basic change of clothes
Bathing suit
Cameras
Prescriptions
Extra glasses or contacts
All tickets/reservation information
Comfortable shoes (if you're not already wearing them on the plane)
Laptops or other electronic devices
Stuff to entertain yourself during the flight
Snacks (drinks can be obtained in flight)

Basically, put in your carry-on whatever you would need to survive for 1-2 days while lost luggage is being located.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
kellydizfan
DIS Veteran

4 oz's or less and in a quart size zip lock baggie. Roll your clothes in your suitcase, put socks in shoes, other small items in shoes in the suitcase. Pack anything of value in your carryon other than liquid or sharp items. Remember to pack your souvenirs in carryon going home. Don't pack in checked luggage or you wont have them when you get home. Remember bag must be small enough to fit under seat in front of you or up top. Weight is a big factor in your checked luggage also.
OKW 8/11-8/16/13, CSR 12/8-12/13/13, POP 8/24/11-8/31/11, Nick Hotel 8/4/09-8/6/09, POR 7/28/09-8/4/09-DS B-day, Eastern DCL 4/08, Europe 3/08, Hawaii Cruise 07, OKW 3/07, AKL 8/06, Europe 4/06, BCV & SSR 10/04, BCV 2/03 & DVC Cruise, POR 5/02, CBR 5/96, CBR 5/91, DL 8/87, Offsite 83 & 75
kellydizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
DisneyMagic3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydizfan
4 oz's or less and in a quart size zip lock baggie. Roll your clothes in your suitcase, put socks in shoes, other small items in shoes in the suitcase. Pack anything of value in your carryon other than liquid or sharp items. Remember to pack your souvenirs in carryon going home. Don't pack in checked luggage or you wont have them when you get home. Remember bag must be small enough to fit under seat in front of you or up top. Weight is a big factor in your checked luggage also.
Are you suggesting souvenirs would be stollen from checked luggage?
DisneyMagic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
AuroraRora
Princess

Wear shoes that you can get on and off somewhat easily! There's nothing worse than being that person holding up the line while you untie complicated boots while everyone glares at you, and putting them back on while you're hopping around trying to grab your luggage isn't much fun either (been there, done that!). Don't forget to take your laptop out your bag, if you take one - they have to go in a tray all on their own. Ipads etc are fine. Always have clearly-written luggage tags on your cases, and you can lock them but be aware the TSA may well cut the locks off.

Don't stress about it As long as you don't have anything sharp in your carry-on, or liquids over 3oz, you're generally good. Everything else is easily handled.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Pack some sunscreen in your carry on. I buy the Hawaiian Tropics with the mini bottle attached to the larger bottle. Keep the small one in the backpack and put the large one in the checked luggage.

Sunscreen is expensive at WDW.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
kellydizfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMagic3 View Post
Are you suggesting souvenirs would be stollen from checked luggage?
Yes we have had it happen. Not Disney stuff - stuff we bought while we were in Montana. I don't pack anything of any worth other than clothes in my luggage, hair dryer, curling iron - stuff I can easily replace without much thought.
OKW 8/11-8/16/13, CSR 12/8-12/13/13, POP 8/24/11-8/31/11, Nick Hotel 8/4/09-8/6/09, POR 7/28/09-8/4/09-DS B-day, Eastern DCL 4/08, Europe 3/08, Hawaii Cruise 07, OKW 3/07, AKL 8/06, Europe 4/06, BCV & SSR 10/04, BCV 2/03 & DVC Cruise, POR 5/02, CBR 5/96, CBR 5/91, DL 8/87, Offsite 83 & 75
kellydizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydizfan View Post
This is incorrect its 3oz or less. Anything liquid in a carry on bag must be in a container that is 3oz or less otherwise TSA will throw it away.

Each person is allowed 1 of the 1 quart ziplock bags to put their liquids in that are in container that are 3 oz or less.

Don't assume because your 6 oz bottle is less than half full or there is only a little bit let that you can take it in your carry on. THe bottles actual size has to be 3oz. or less

*** Its a good idea to pack a couple outfits in your husband luggage and a few of his outfits in your luggage just in case a piece of luggage gets lost.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 03-29-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

My favorite packing tip:
Make sure that each of you places one entire outfit, from the skin out, into the other's suitcase. That way, in the unlikely event that one of the suitcases gets lost for a while, you have an entire's day worth of clothes. (Nope, it's never happened to anyone in my family. It did happen to a high school student on a trip to London I chaperoned on time though, and I learned my lesson.)

As to carryon/ suitcase, assume that your suitcase won't arrive until bedtime. So I would include a bathing suit. I wear Teve Mush flipflops down (so much easier at the airport) but I wear them at WDW all the time, so no need for sneakers.

I pack:
- a sweatshirt for the plane
- a bathing suit
- a book
- a sample size sunscreen

And that's pretty much it. We fly Jetblue, so we get snacks on the plane. My carryon is pretty empty, so it's less to schlepp around.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
amylevan
DIS Veteran

I assume you are using ME, so you won't have your luggage right away. So whatever you usually take to the parks needs to go in your carryon - although keep in mind the liquids rule, it will apply to your sunscreen. And if you will need to change clothes before the parks (i.e. coming from somewhere cold) pack those in carryon as well. I usually layer so that I don't need to fit as much, but I usually need a pair of shorts for everyone.

Medicines should go in carryon. Also anything that cannot be replaced (jewelry...).

I know lots of people pack pajamas and an entire outfit in their carryon in the event of lost luggage. We don't. There just isn't enough room in our carryons for airplane entertainment and snacks, park stuff, plus outfits. In the event it ever happens to us, we'll have to buy an outfit or 2 until the luggage is located. It's not like we're heading somewhere where there isn't access to a walmart in an emergency.

As mentioned, wear easy on/off shoes.

You didn't mention if you have kids, but they will need to go through security as well (out of their stroller). Everything: strollers, bags, jackets, etc will need to go through the machines.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
photos_101
Mouseketeer

Oh my! You all are amazing. lol There is so much more to think about when flying. I must say, I haven't even begun to think about packing and I am already realizing why I LOVE driving down. lol Personal choice for most, I am sure.

NO KIDS!! haha, Actually we have 2 kids but one is unable to go. She is 20 and has work/school. And the other will be flying separately with the school group. They have a different flight, different airline, different airport. So we will just meet up with the group the next day.

Thanks for the advice to pack a set of clothes in each others suitcase. Terrific idea! We will be taking ME, so I will plan to take my park essentials in my carry on. I stay cold ALL the time (unless it is at least 90* lol) so I probably should wear a hoodie on the plane. We are traveling first of May from the midwest. This will be a shorter trip than usual, only 4nights/5 days. So won't have to pack quite as much as usual.

I have been to Disney (driving down everytime) 6 times already and for once I am feeling extremely overwhelmed this time. I am a penny pincher/couponer and it would just kill me to have to 'pay' for something I should have known to bring in my carry on. lol AKA..sunscreen and such.

Thanks for the advice/tips..keep them coming!
photos_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

Don't forget to put your camera in your carry on!

my rules for carry on - take everything you'll need until you wake up the next morning. If your carryon is an on-board roller or a backpack, put in a change of clothes (at the very least pj's and clean undies), a toothbrush, and whatever you'll need for the plane (I tell DD to look at it like a long bus ride) and for the parks.

Once at the hotel, dump carryon bag in room, grab park bag (be it purse or whatever) and head to parks. :-)

Have fun!!! I LOVE flying, especially that first second when the wheels leave the ground I still get excited to go on a plane ride, and I'm in my 30's!

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

*missing having a ticker... I wanna go back!

Feb 2014 - According to DH, we're going back "next winter," whatever that means. Not specific enough for a ticker... yet!
hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

To be very specific, the liquids rule allows for containers that are 3.4 ounces (or less). That's 100ml. It's not 3 oz. 3.4. And it's amazing how much 3.4 oz is! I get refillable 3.4 oz containers (from safeway, but not everyone has a Safeway) and put all sorts of things in them. I have curly hair that likes my Aveda shampoo, so I have one with the shampoo in it. I usually fill 2 or 3 of them with sunscreen, so that I KNOW I have sunscreen with me. etc. You can stuff your quart-sized baggie with those bottles as long as the baggie closes, and each traveler gets one.

And...along the same lines of how big a 3.4 oz container actually is, getting a true carry-on size bag can be amazing, too. ricksteves.com sells carryon sized bags, we own several of them, and without overstuffing or expanding the ones that can be expanded, you can carry a lot of stuff in them. Those carryons won't go under the seat, of course; that's more of a backpack sized bag as your "personal item", but still, it's amazing.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

if you get cold you will definitely want to wear warmer clothes. i typically bring a scarf that can function as a wrap. if you will be on in the early am and want to snooze i bring an eye mask, wear a hoddie (to put up), and earplugs. i use the scarf as a blanket and bring something to use as a pillow.

remember to pack the carry on with the items you will use on the top/side. don't count on being able to get into the bag if its in the overhead bin while on the flight.

i always bring snacks as you can't count on the airline to have food and most charge A LOT for it.

my lost luggage tip is to put your name and contact details inside too .i typically put a card in the mesh pocket in the front of it or tape it to the inside lid. luggage tags outside can get knocked off.

oh and make sure you weigh the checked pieces and check the sizes so you dont have any extra fees.

have fun, i love flying.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: