Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
peainapod
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 234

Family inviting themselves on your vacation...

Okay...so here is my dilemma..


My SIL called with the thought of us getting together sometime this year so they could meet our new baby. Included in this trip would be their 2 yo and their friends with a baby the same age as ours (I have never met the other couple) and my in-laws.

My MIL is a (insert the you know what word here LOL).I do not enjoy being around her, but I do it for my husband and my son. But, I do NOT want to vacation with her.....SIL knows how MIL is (MIL treats her the same) but still thinks I should be okay with it. I'm not and told her so. She ignored me and made me feel like a bad person for not wanting to go on a trip with my in laws who always like to start trouble and are the most judgmental people ever. Sorry, but I want my vacation to be relaxing.

Before SIL called,DH and I already decided we were going to WDW to celebrate our little one's 1st birthday next Feb. That will cost us around $4k for that trip.....with one income at the moment and lack of extra vacation time for DH after the disney trip, that doesn't leave much wiggle room for a second vacation in one year.

SIL wants to do a cruise or a disney cruise...personally I don't want to cruise with a 1 year old or younger (she possibly wants to do it when he is 6-9 months....) I am not a cruise fan in general. When I told her we already had vacation plans she asked where. SIL is not usually an intruding person so I thought nothing about telling her we are going to disney. She then invites their family, my in laws, and the other family to come with us without even asking my opinion

She doesn't understand that I want my son's first trip to disney to just be the three of us. I love my BIL and SIL but come on.... please don't invite yourselves on my trip. My first trip to wdw with my son is a once in a lifetime experience and I don't want to have to deal with anybody else and their kids while I am there. Know what I mean?


How do I politely handle this situation? My DH does not handle his family well (he is kind of a pushover....I am saying that in the nicest way. I love my DH dearly) so it is me who has to deal with this. Plus I think it is between my SIL and myself anyways.
peainapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,943

LOL , ouch sorry you are going through this.

Now in the interest of full disclosure, let me say I some times think my entire family were a hoarde of maurading vikings in a previous life. Subtlety and politiness some times simply do not work on them.

I would unfortunately have to simply say "oh sorry but we have our plans set and they can't be changed"

host a barbeque this summer for the family to come over and meet the little one.
__________________
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod View Post
Okay...so here is my dilemma..


My SIL called with the thought of us getting together sometime this year so they could meet our new baby. Included in this trip would be their 2 yo and their friends with a baby the same age as ours (I have never met the other couple) and my in-laws.

My MIL is a (insert the you know what word here LOL).I do not enjoy being around her, but I do it for my husband and my son. But, I do NOT want to vacation with her.....SIL knows how MIL is (MIL treats her the same) but still thinks I should be okay with it. I'm not and told her so. She ignored me and made me feel like a bad person for not wanting to go on a trip with my in laws who always like to start trouble and are the most judgmental people ever. Sorry, but I want my vacation to be relaxing.

Before SIL called,DH and I already decided we were going to WDW to celebrate our little one's 1st birthday next Feb. That will cost us around $4k for that trip.....with one income at the moment and lack of extra vacation time for DH after the disney trip, that doesn't leave much wiggle room for a second vacation in one year.

SIL wants to do a cruise or a disney cruise...personally I don't want to cruise with a 1 year old or younger (she possibly wants to do it when he is 6-9 months....) I am not a cruise fan in general. When I told her we already had vacation plans she asked where. SIL is not usually an intruding person so I thought nothing about telling her we are going to disney. She then invites their family, my in laws, and the other family to come with us without even asking my opinion

She doesn't understand that I want my son's first trip to disney to just be the three of us. I love my BIL and SIL but come on.... please don't invite yourselves on my trip. My first trip to wdw with my son is a once in a lifetime experience and I don't want to have to deal with anybody else and their kids while I am there. Know what I mean?


How do I politely handle this situation? My DH does not handle his family well (he is kind of a pushover....I am saying that in the nicest way. I love my DH dearly) so it is me who has to deal with this. Plus I think it is between my SIL and myself anyways.
I would still make DH deal with it. Much in the same way that I would not want my DH to have to fight my battles with my family.

That being said, I think you are putting way too much importance on the significance of the kid's first trip to Disney. It's for you, not for him - admit it! Not like he's going to have any idea what's going on or ever remember it. But you should be able to celebrate and vacation however you want.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
peainapod
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
LOL , ouch sorry you are going through this.

Now in the interest of full disclosure, let me say I some times think my entire family were a hoarde of maurading vikings in a previous life. Subtlety and politiness some times simply do not work on them.

I would unfortunately have to simply say "oh sorry but we have our plans set and they can't be changed"

host a barbeque this summer for the family to come over and meet the little one.

LOL.

BIL and SIL live in Boston. We live in GA. MIL and FIL live 5 minutes from us...
peainapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran
 
Tinkerdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 819

If your DH is a pushover, then unfortunately, you'll have to play the bad guy (been there, done that). You'll just have to tell them that this trip is for the 3 of you only. And as the PP suggested, have a family get together in the summer to meet the little one.

Some families sometimes don't take no for an answer though, so, if that is the case, give them a date that they think you're going and your family goes another time
__________________
Tinkerdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Laura66
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: B. Heights, Ohio
Posts: 1,455

You've already told her you can't afford another trip so if she or anyone else brings it up you smile and say you'd love to but . . . There doesn't need to be any drama and if they create it that's on them.

Disney is a public place and its huge. You can't tell someone they cannot visit the same time as you! We've been in this situation - and actually another family is "joining" us on our Charleston vacation! Same complex!

Your family may well be PITA's! You could try to look at this as a compliment - that they love and enjoy your company and think u have great taste in vacation spots! Whether or not this causes drama can be entirely up to you! Would it kill you and your family to meet up a few times for dinner or to watch a parade or see a show? For me it wouldn't and if it did I'd still do it and smile to keep the peace and love in my family. I'd make sure it was clear ahead of time (and we have done this when vacationing with family and friends) that this is or family vacation too and that we need to have our time alone as a family! You make sure you smile and thank them for thinking of you and say nicely that you'll pass and meet up later. Repeat this as often as necessary! Don't engage if they get negative! If they create drama it's on them!
You may find you may enjoy spending time with them or not - you can adjust your plans accordingly!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,497
DISboards Moderator

No need to 'include' them all on your WDW trip. They know when you're going...if they want to book a trip then, let them. You can always plan on getting together off and on when you're all there. Maybe one big dinner someplace, with a birthday cake. Then, have a private birthday celebration with just the three of you another night. You can tell them that while you're thrilled they'll be there at the same time, you already have some plans that have been made and can't be changed. No need to elaborate!! And no need to spend every waking minute with them either.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

I would just be honest with her and say that you really want that trip to be just the 3 of you but if she decided to got to WDW that same week you'd be happy to meet up with them to do some things together (if you are willing to do that).
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it
 
Ginny Favers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,918

This actually happened to us. We were planning on going to Disney in 2014 with the in-laws that I can tolerate. Somehow, as we were talking about it, the cat got let out of the bag and my MIL found out about it. She started calling all of her family to try to get them all to come. They all wanted to come with us. We were like, "Uh, hold on a second!" We knew it would be a nightmare with them and change our enjoyment of the trip dramatically, just because, well, my MIL is *that type of person.*

I realized, though, that while they would all be free to go in the summer of 2014, they already had plans that would stop them from going in 2013. So we booked the trip for 2013 and said, "Well, that's just what worked better for us." So it worked out well.

I was thinking, though, that if they did come along with us, we would try to avoid them as much as possible-- but I'm not sure how possible that would be with my MIL's "strong" personality.

You are putting a lot of money into this trip, and it's a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing for you... so you have every right to want to have it be "just you." I would tell them that, in the nicest way, you just want it to be a small family trip for his first visit. That is not being mean. If they don't understand that, oh well, I guess you can feel free to intrude at their house at 7 AM when they're just waking up.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,053

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
No need to 'include' them all on your WDW trip. They know when you're going...if they want to book a trip then, let them. You can always plan on getting together off and on when you're all there. Maybe one big dinner someplace, with a birthday cake. Then, have a private birthday celebration with just the three of you another night. You can tell them that while you're thrilled they'll be there at the same time, you already have some plans that have been made and can't be changed. No need to elaborate!! And no need to spend every waking minute with them either.

This is my thought as well. Make all your plans as if they won't be there, and maybe they'll go their own way for the bulk of the trip.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,361

Does she know where you are staying? Hopefully you did not tell her that!!!

The best you can do is to call her and explain your side of the story once again. If she insists on coming on "your vacation" then you can tell her that you are going to cancel the vacation because of the lack of respect and privacy that she has for you.

It is not the most polite way to handle it but if you DO NOT want them on YOUR vacation you are going to have to put your foot down.

Now there will be repercussions of course, but since she lives in Boston, I would not worry about it.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,005

DO NOT TELL THEM THE ACTUAL DATES YOU ARE GOING!!!!!!!

No matter now you try to talk them out of it, (and you should) I'd say there is a 50% chance someone in that group will book the trip anyway and you will not be able to totally escape them. So if they try to pin you down as to dates and you are actually planning on going say.....Feb. 9-16, tell them you are pretty sure you will go Feb. 2-9. That way, if they sneak around and book it, you are safe. My MIL would have done this in a heartbeat, so we fudged on trip dates. However, she suspected we were fudging, so she declined to book the trip.

I'll be blunt. You are spending way too much money and too much of your vacation time to have someone horn in on the trip, especially people who will suck the joy from it. No way would I want to vacation with MY baby and two other babies.....and one family I don't even know. Plus a MIL who can be less than fun. Try to tell them your reasons for not wanting to vacation together, but CYA by fudging about the trip dates.

It is not always that easy to have some alone time when you are with people who are determined to be together.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

One of the top ten rules of marriage should be "you deal with your family, he deals with his family." Always. Non optional for pushovers. He's the husband and needs to man up.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Sam81
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod View Post
Okay...so here is my dilemma..


My SIL called with the thought of us getting together sometime this year so they could meet our new baby. Included in this trip would be their 2 yo and their friends with a baby the same age as ours (I have never met the other couple) and my in-laws.

My MIL is a (insert the you know what word here LOL).I do not enjoy being around her, but I do it for my husband and my son. But, I do NOT want to vacation with her.....SIL knows how MIL is (MIL treats her the same) but still thinks I should be okay with it. I'm not and told her so. She ignored me and made me feel like a bad person for not wanting to go on a trip with my in laws who always like to start trouble and are the most judgmental people ever. Sorry, but I want my vacation to be relaxing.

Before SIL called,DH and I already decided we were going to WDW to celebrate our little one's 1st birthday next Feb. That will cost us around $4k for that trip.....with one income at the moment and lack of extra vacation time for DH after the disney trip, that doesn't leave much wiggle room for a second vacation in one year.

SIL wants to do a cruise or a disney cruise...personally I don't want to cruise with a 1 year old or younger (she possibly wants to do it when he is 6-9 months....) I am not a cruise fan in general. When I told her we already had vacation plans she asked where. SIL is not usually an intruding person so I thought nothing about telling her we are going to disney. She then invites their family, my in laws, and the other family to come with us without even asking my opinion

She doesn't understand that I want my son's first trip to disney to just be the three of us. I love my BIL and SIL but come on.... please don't invite yourselves on my trip. My first trip to wdw with my son is a once in a lifetime experience and I don't want to have to deal with anybody else and their kids while I am there. Know what I mean?


How do I politely handle this situation? My DH does not handle his family well (he is kind of a pushover....I am saying that in the nicest way. I love my DH dearly) so it is me who has to deal with this. Plus I think it is between my SIL and myself anyways.
I didn't realize you owned WDW?! Just because they are there doesn't mean you have to spend every minute with them.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran
 
BriarfoxinWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Central Washington State
Posts: 3,759

WDW is a big place. I'd say let them come. You could meet up for a dinner or two, but other than that there is nothing that says you have to be tour guide or hold their hand through the vacation.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
BriarfoxinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.