Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Weird DCL Email - Almost gave me heart attack!!

I have a tendency to book cruises and lock in prices, then explore my options and cancel if I can't go or decide on a different trip. I do this with hotel rooms too, but I always worry that I am going to forget to cancel and miss the cancellation date.

So I check my email and there is something from DCL about a reservation. I do have a pending reservation for 2014, so I assumed it was about that. But when I opened it it read: "Great news! You've successfully booked your Disney cruise! Below is your reservation number and other details of your cruise plans as they stand right now." It then listed a cruise out of California in September and showed I had paid in full!!!

I started to panic - Oh no, I must have reserved a cruise then forgot about it and they've charged my credit card and I am past the PIF date and what have I done?!?! Then I realized that it was my cruise from LAST September. Apparently, they are giving me a $48 credit on port fees. 6 months later??? Very confused, but relieved I didn't accidentally buy a cruise!!!

Has anyone else ever got a refund like that so long after the cruise (this was the 9/16/12 Wonder Pixar cruise)?
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
libpetersen
Mouseketeer

We got a refund to the Disney Visa for our trip on May 25th for a few dollars when I'm guesing the price dropped about 60 days out...
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

I've read on the boards about people getting money back after PIF before sailing - I just didn't realize it could happen so long AFTER you have already cruised. It seems like they would know sooner than that about a reduction in port charges.

Oh well, I guess I will just be grateful for what I got!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

We got an email yesterday about our upcoming cruise in May. It was tips and information, but one section said, "thank you for booking your flights through Disney," (nope) and, "you've already booked your DCL transfers," (wrong again!) but fortunately, it didn't freak me out too much because I knew these things were inaccurate. I can definitely see where you would panic, though!
Also, for a while when I logged in on the website, it would say my cruise was 127 days away, when it was only 70 days away. I guess experiencing so many glitches on the website taught me not to worry if I get a crazy email.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Heart Check by DCL.

Quick Stress Test, courtesy of DCL IT.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Someone on the original cruise meets for the cruise just posted that they got the refund. But since they had also purchased that cruise last year as a gift for relatives, the relatives also got an email. So at first they thought that their relatives had bought them another cruise as a gift!

I guess DCL just re-use their standard email when they send out the rebates. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to have a different one that states "A credit has been made to your cruise, see details below" or something like that - it is kind of weird that they just recycle and old and inappropriate email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Heart Check by DCL.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
edith76
Mouseketeer

No email for me but recently rec'd 2 $15 dollar Disney gift cards with some note referencing DCL. It took me a few minutes to realize it was a refund of missed port charges from our Halloween cruise. It made us laugh. Leave it to Disney though. If they had just refunded the small amount on my credit card I would have thought nothing about it but the 2 little gift cards made us feel Pixie Dusted. Of course we left for a WDW vacation right after they came but forgot to bring them along.
edith76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
I have a tendency to book cruises and lock in prices, then explore my options and cancel if I can't go or decide on a different trip. I do this with hotel rooms too, but I always worry that I am going to forget to cancel and miss the cancellation date.

So I check my email and there is something from DCL about a reservation. I do have a pending reservation for 2014, so I assumed it was about that. But when I opened it it read: "Great news! You've successfully booked your Disney cruise! Below is your reservation number and other details of your cruise plans as they stand right now." It then listed a cruise out of California in September and showed I had paid in full!!!

I started to panic - Oh no, I must have reserved a cruise then forgot about it and they've charged my credit card and I am past the PIF date and what have I done?!?! Then I realized that it was my cruise from LAST September. Apparently, they are giving me a $48 credit on port fees. 6 months later??? Very confused, but relieved I didn't accidentally buy a cruise!!!

Has anyone else ever got a refund like that so long after the cruise (this was the 9/16/12 Wonder Pixar cruise)?
I do that with constantly with rental cars (rarely a worry since you don't put down a CC#, I do try to cancel however, so the company doesn't think I'm coming), hotels all the time (forgot to cancel once, but it was a points/cash combo booking so it didn't cost me a lot of money), airfare on southwest (saved $500 on a return flight for us once by just re-booking the same flight) and rarely on cruises.

Leaving tomorrow for the Magic and originally had a 7-day cruise booked on MSC. The kids sail free option made Disney very attractive, but I was really only 4-5 days from the PIF date on MSC. It took a week to get the deposit refund and I was constantly worried that very thing would happen, they'd charge my card for the rest of the trip. Combined with paying in full right away on Disney, I was worried about money for a bit.

I did keep checking every day to make sure that I couldn't access my then cancelled reservation and I ultimately got my money back from MSC, but I was worried the whole time as the PIF date passed and there was yet to be a refund.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
the kids
Earning My Ears

I also received an email from dcl today from a cruise back in November. I didn't even realize I was getting a refund for 9.90 until I read the original post and went back and checked the email.
the kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Same thing just happened to us. VERY poorly designed email from DCL - since we did not newly book any cruise, it can either look like spam or can cause some real stress about confirming a booking. You have to read it carefully (it is a long, image-filled email, colorful fonts, lots of congratulations on booking a cruise) to find the single line about the refund (and even that is in smaller font than the surrounding information!).

DCL really, really needs to redesign these emails.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Our email was from the California Coastal cruise last Oct. The refund was $48, which is awesome, but super confusing. I ignored it at first, but then went back and saw the refund later.

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised you got an email at all. I haven't been very impressed with their accounting department.

I once spent a very long time speaking with Disney accounting, who told me the following (when asked):

1. No, they cannot send me an email to confirm a cancellation of a booking (I needed one since my deposit refund wasn't showing up and I was about to dispute the charge---Disney's accting department also couldn't find it).

2. Disney will not issue a confirmation of a cancellation even when requested. I needed this to show my CC company. The funny thing is, the CM said that the way you "confirm" a cancelled cruise is by the fact that when you enter the confirmation #, the reservation won't show up. Of course I know that, but how would you prove it?

3. Disney does not issue notices when port fees/taxes are refunded. I asked them why not---they said that their system is just not "set up that way." So it's my responsibility to figure out when port fees are refunded...and if it happens to go back on a gift card, tough luck for me.

I guess this rant is only relevant to the OP's post in that, I'm surprised she got an email at all, but not surprised that it was after the cruise was over... there seems to be no rhyme or reason to DCL accounting policies.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Heart Check by DCL.

That's hilarious!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
TiggerStac
I'm going to join in on this one
he sure looks like a dog on the sweatshirt

We got one at my agency for one of my clients.. they cruised the fantasy the first week of December.. A little confusing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: