Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Cruising the Eastern Caribbean in August

Are we nuts? Living in the west coast, I didn't think of the fact that's its hurricane season.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We're taking the chance, we're on the Fantasy in July/August. We were on the Dream last August and had perfect weather.

There are not always huricanes thank heavens!
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
I heart d1sney
Earning My Ears

I've cruised in August twice and once in September. Never had a problem.. Weather was perfect!!
I heart d1sney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

We cruise in September during the peak of hurricane season and have never had an issue. We know we are going for the ship and relaxation first and ports second. It would be very rare to have a system affecting the western and eastern Caribbean at the same time so the ship scheduled for one direction can always go in a different direction! Love that ships can move during hurricane season while WDW cannot!
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

The real advantage of being on a ship during hurricane season is that the ship can get out of the hurricane's way. If you were on a Caribbean island you wouldn't have that option.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
disneychic
DIS Veteran

We typically cruise at the end of August or beginning of September (we will be on the Fantasy 8/31 sailing). The way I look at it is you can't control the weather so try not to worry about it -- especially since now a days weather can be crazy any time of the year! Just know there's always a chance that your itinerary can change (Eastern can become a Western or vice-versa) due to hurricanes/bad weather. And I don't mind that at all.....as long as I'm on that beautiful ship!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
tweis
DIS Veteran

I would definitely sail in August if I didn't have to take the kids out of school. Just purchase trip insurance.

I actually vacationed in Jamaica several years ago at the end of Aug first of September and as luck would have it a tropical storm hit. It rained endlessly and flooded parts of the island. I would much rather be on a cruise ship that can sail around the storm instead of being stuck at a resort (that relied heavily on outside activities) in the pouring rain.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

My guess is a hurricane moving through during your vacation time is slim to none.

It could happen, but not likely!

We live in Minnesota and typically go in the winter, when snow storms can interfere with our flight down. But this is why we buy trip insurance. If we do miss any or all of our vacation, insurance will cover it.

If we make it to the ship; and weather does happen we think of it as a mystery cruise. Where will the Captain take us? We are a 'Go with the flow' family. And we read the fine print so we know that we can and have missed ports of call because of weather.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Thank you for calming my nerves!!!
We are purchasing trip insurance. Sailing on the Fantasy on August 24th right at the end of summer vacation.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Life for me started with 1947 STORM

Life has included Betsy, Audry, Camieal, Katrina, Gustave, and Issuic. I would look at it as added adventure, but talk to people on Fantasy on their ride in Sandy. You may reconsider. Capt drove ship into known problem.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: