Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #31
kirkaliciasmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomy-san View Post
At Castaway the stink rays are only in the Ray lagoon. It is completely separated from the other beach areas... So no worries about rays while enjoying the island unless you pay for the feeding/swimming ray experience.
One thing that I should mention- the rays at CC have their barbs removed do you can't really get 'stung' but my daughter was actually bitten while we were feeding them. You place the food between your fingers and put your hand down flat on their feeding platform. The rays swim over the platform and suck the food out of your fingers. For some reason the ray sucked my daughters finger up as well and started to grind it instead of spitting it out. We were told it is a very rare occurrence.
In 2010 I went to Stingray City in Grand Cayman. I had a similar experience when feeding a ray. We were instructed to hold the fish in our fist with the thumb side up and fingers clenched (not too tight). The ray sucked up the fish and also part of my hand (the pad area between my thumb and index finger). It felt like a very powerful vaccuum. The ray swam on and my hand had a red, kind of raw mark on it. It never bled, but it was sore for a couple hours. My dd and I are headed back to Stingray City in a month, but I'm learry of letting her feed the rays.

I'm sorry your daughter had such a terrible, traumatic experience.

kirkaliciasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #32
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEichman View Post

Can you share which night was your formal night? There was a rumor flying around that sometime in March (I think) there would be a switch from the first full at-sea day (Day 2), to the second full at-sea day (Day 3).
It was on Sunday. Not switched.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post

Not true. There was a large sting ray swimming around the family beach area on our last cruise. Everyone was taking pictures of it. I don't think you can confine sting rays to one area.
I meant the large quantities swimming around for you to feed... The ones for the excursion are confined. Disney doesn't control what is in the rest of the ocean
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #34
Dznypal
DIS Veteran

great rip report--ours is in aug cant wait!!!!!

anyway how did you like your room

were in the same area (7660) for some reason I really wanted this room

awhile after I made the ressies this room opened up so I grabbed it

I hope I wont be disappointed

thanks
Dznypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
mjf
Mouseketeer

No complaints on the room or the location. Its a couple of doors down from the mid ship stairs so very central.

Mar13 - DCL-Fantasy
Nov12 - CBR(FD)
Mar12 - POFQ(FD),SSR
Mar11 - DCL-Dream, AKV
Mar10 - CBR/AKV
Mar09 - BCV
Nov09, Mar08, Nov08, Dec07 (SSR)
Feb07 - OKW, HGVC
Feb06 - OKW, RitzCarleton OGL, Homewood Suites
Feb05 - Country Inn&Suites LBV, MysticDunes
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #36
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I meant the large quantities swimming around for you to feed... The ones for the excursion are confined. Disney doesn't control what is in the rest of the ocean
Disney controls all!

They have 56 stingrays that have tracking chips on them, and that are de-barbed regularly. Both times I've been at CC there has been just one stingray in the snorkeling area. The snorkeling beach and family beach areas have shark nets farther out, so they do control what gets in to an extent. There are nets around the stingray excursion area, and while the rays can occasionally get out, it is not like the 56 just have free range of CC.

We were there just after Hurricane Sandy and the workers explained that a lot of the nets were ripped but that they had gathered up the chipped rays within a few days.

So to the original question, there aren't a lot of rays on the other beaches of CC, just in the stingray area.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #37
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaTa4Now1968 View Post
We also had a really bad server team on our last cruise. We also were not impressed with some of the food choices at the MDRs. We ate at Cabanas one night and really loved it. We also enjoyed the food at the counter service. On our next cruise we have decided to skip MDR and just go to Cabanas and counter service. Maybe some Palo Brunches & Dinner, Palo was great.
Same here! We got to the point of almost dreading dinner in the main dining room due to our servers - we couldn't understand them, they were slow, sub par service wise, and were hard sell on the excellent review on the comment card. We dined in Cabanas one evening and it was a great experience - whew, way better servers and experience! It was the 5th night of the cruise and we wished we had tried it sooner. I agree with the food choices in the MDR - not very impressed, and the food was nothing to brag about in my opinion, except for the huge lobster tail! Regarding my spa experience, I loved the treatment I had, but not the hard sell afterward. Plus, I was charged $20 extra for something she did that she didn't not ask me about beforehand, she just did it. I stopped back a couple of days later and complained and they removed the charge. On the plus side, I loved the ship, our ports and expecially our room steward Raj!
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
ladyleslie
Mouseketeer

Very helpful review.... thanks for taking the time and posting!!!

** From my family and friends to yours - may all of your cruising dreams come true! **
** Dream - Aug 14 & 17 & 21, 2014 ** Fantasy - August 17, 2013 & Art of Animation ** Magic - Aug 17, 2012 ** Dream - Aug 25 & Aug 28, 2011 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 29 & Sept 1 2010 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 23, 2009 & Caribbean Beach **Coronado Springs - Feb 2009 ** French Quarter - Sept 2008 ** All Star Sports - Sept 2007 ** All Star Music - Oct 2006 ** Off Site - April 2002 ** Off Site - Aug 1989 ** Disney Campsite - Aug 1982 **
ladyleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
TaTa4Now1968
DIS Veteran

Location: Poughkeepsie, NY (if you can pronounce it correctly, you live near it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDisneyLover View Post
Same here! We got to the point of almost dreading dinner in the main dining room due to our servers - we couldn't understand them, they were slow, sub par service wise, and were hard sell on the excellent review on the comment card. We dined in Cabanas one evening and it was a great experience - whew, way better servers and experience! It was the 5th night of the cruise and we wished we had tried it sooner. I agree with the food choices in the MDR - not very impressed, and the food was nothing to brag about in my opinion, except for the huge lobster tail! Regarding my spa experience, I loved the treatment I had, but not the hard sell afterward. Plus, I was charged $20 extra for something she did that she didn't not ask me about beforehand, she just did it. I stopped back a couple of days later and complained and they removed the charge. On the plus side, I loved the ship, our ports and expecially our room steward Raj!
Loved our room Steward, he was awesome and got the best review, along with great comments for the Kids Clubs.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #40
holula
DIS Veteran

We were on the same cruise as you. LOVE Kristian. Had him on the Dream and Fantasy at Palo. Awesome awesome server.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!)
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2014 Southern, 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #41
erinfarber
Mouseketeer

Great review, very informative. Thank you for sharing.
erinfarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #42
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At Castaway the stink rays are only in the Ray lagoon. It is completely separated from the other beach areas... So no worries about rays while enjoying the island unless you pay for the feeding/swimming ray experience.
One thing that I should mention- the rays at CC have their barbs removed do you can't really get 'stung' but my daughter was actually bitten while we were feeding them. You place the food between your fingers and put your hand down flat on their feeding platform. The rays swim over the platform and suck the food out of your fingers. For some reason the ray sucked my daughters finger up as well and started to grind it instead of spitting it out. We were told it is a very rare occurrence.
We were at CC on Friday, 4/12/13, and a HUGE stingray swam by us at the family beach. Everyone saw it and it was kinda cool how families FAR down the beach were letting everyone know and as it swam down, folks were stepping back and just letting it do it's thing.

The family we were on the trip with did the excursion and their 8 year old daughter got bit by one while feeding. They said it only bled for a minute or so.

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Sept 14 - Fort Wilderness
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #43
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell1973

We were at CC on Friday, 4/12/13, and a HUGE stingray swam by us at the family beach. Everyone saw it and it was kinda cool how families FAR down the beach were letting everyone know and as it swam down, folks were stepping back and just letting it do it's thing.

The family we were on the trip with did the excursion and their 8 year old daughter got bit by one while feeding. They said it only bled for a minute or so.
We were there 4-13 on the 3 Day Dream! I saw a beautiful purple blue sting ray while mermaid snorkeling in the lagoon ! I thought I got it on film but I was out by then. Oh well.

Happiness!

Any one ever done Sting Ray Sandbar in Grand Cayman? We did that last yr. Giant 5 ft stingrays and they are wild, still have their barbs..same family has been there for decades and know people. And they get fed which is why they come back..anyway I got pics kissing one! Ha. Kiss a stingray... Good thing I got kissed by two Sea lions last trip or it wouldn't be complete!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #44
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766

You mean the 'creepy creatures' that belong in the ocean - humans don't.
We are invading their space after all !!!
Some of us belong in the ocean, as mermaids after all. See the thread about carry-on items...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #45
jsargevt
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the review! I am interested in DCL but am not ready to make a commitment! I have cruised once before on RC and I did not care for it. I suspect that DCL would be a better fit for my tastes.
jsargevt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: