Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
KelseyLaPerle
Mouseketeer

If we bring our own alcohol....

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my favorite mead from here in VT to Vancouver. If we're ale to pull it off, will we be able to drink it wherever we choice, or does the ship have designated drinking areas?
I know there is a fee if we bring it to our dining table, but was wondering about any other restrictions.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug. 2012 - Saratoga Springs
March 2013 - Pop Century
July 2013 - DCL - Wonder to Alaska
February 2014 - runDisney marathon weekend
July 2014 - Saratoga Springs
October 2014 - runDisney ToT!
KelseyLaPerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

According to Disney Cruise Line Website:

Answer
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyLaPerle View Post
I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my favorite mead from here in VT to Vancouver. If we're ale to pull it off, will we be able to drink it wherever we choice, or does the ship have designated drinking areas?
I know there is a fee if we bring it to our dining table, but was wondering about any other restrictions.

Thanks!

DCL asks that you drink any alcohol that you bring on board, in your stateroom or, you can pay the corkage fee and bring a bottle of wine to dinner.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

just had to say from VT ... soooo very far away from DCL!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
KelseyLaPerle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy
just had to say from VT ... soooo very far away from DCL!
Hi! Getting to Vancouver won't be too bad, and we'll spend the night before the cruise there. Getting home, on the other hand, will be almost 24 hours of non-stop traveling!

Where in VT are you?

Aug. 2012 - Saratoga Springs
March 2013 - Pop Century
July 2013 - DCL - Wonder to Alaska
February 2014 - runDisney marathon weekend
July 2014 - Saratoga Springs
October 2014 - runDisney ToT!
KelseyLaPerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!

A couple of people posted the rules, I'll share with you my experience.

I brought a bottle of rum on board and made drinks that I consumed throughout the ship. I did not brink my own drinks to the MDRs, but I did bring a drink into an adult lounge once. No one batted an eye. I typically mixed my drinks in my room and not out in public. I was very discrete.

I also brought the bottle to Castway Cay and made my own drinks there with soda and juice from the drink stations. Again, no problems.

Enjoy your cruise and your mead!

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post

I brought a bottle of rum on board and made drinks that I consumed throughout the ship. I did not brink my own drinks to the MDRs, but I did bring a drink into an adult lounge once. No one batted an eye. I typically mixed my drinks in my room and not out in public. I was very discrete.

I also brought the bottle to Castway Cay and made my own drinks there with soda and juice from the drink stations. Again, no problems.

Mike
Yes, in most cases, DCL CMs will not call you out on this (unless you become a problem). But it is against DCLs stated policy.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post

Mike
I was curious as to whether you could bring your own alcohol to CC or not. I don't remember hearing if it was against the "rules" or not.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Hi! Getting to Vancouver won't be too bad, and we'll spend the night before the cruise there. Getting home, on the other hand, will be almost 24 hours of non-stop traveling!

Where in VT are you?

St. Albans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I was curious as to whether you could bring your own alcohol to CC or not. I don't remember hearing if it was against the "rules" or not.
Technically, the rules indicate you can bring alcohol onboard for consumption in your stateroom, so taking it to CC would be against the rules. That's not to say it doesn't happen, as PP stated.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
St. Albans

Technically, the rules indicate you can bring alcohol onboard for consumption in your stateroom, so taking it to CC would be against the rules. That's not to say it doesn't happen, as PP stated.
Yeah, I guess I answered my own question with my previous post. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
micheledb49
Earning My Ears

We recently returned from our first Disney cruise and brought alcohol on board. We would make the drink in our room and then put it in a non descript cup and no one would possibly know what was in there. We carried them all over the ship (not to meals however). I was very surprised to see how bold people at the adult pool were. They would go get a soda, bring it over to the adult pool, pull their little bottle of rum out of their pool bag and mix it, right there at the pool. I would be too chicken to do that. If you like mimosas, our favorite thing to do was to order room service the night before for a couple glasses of OJ. We brought the 1 serving champagne bottles and mixed these in our non descript cups and loved having those in the mornings
micheledb49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
libpetersen
Mouseketeer

We had room service bring glasses for our wine, which were changed out daily for fresh glasses by the room steward. We took a glass of wine to the shows, for walks around deck, to start dinner (it take FOREVER sometimes between ordering wine and it appearing at the table), we took two bottles to Palo during the afternoon that we asked to be chilled to the proper temperature for our dinner - "no problem." We spent many hours on the veranda with a cheese tray and our own wine, etc. By the way, we were not charged corkage in Palo, but more than made up for that with our tip.

We also ordered the premium wine package for dinners, and drinks by the pool, so it was not just drinking our own stash, but I think that if you are discrete and respectful, you should not have a problem.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!

Our experience with bringing alcohol on board was very positive. We brought 8 bottles of wine which we carried to each of our dinners and had our servers uncork them. We happily paid the 20 dollar corkage fee for each bottle because we had exactly what we wanted to drink. The cost of any of the bottles we brought on board would have been much more money to buy onboard, that is if they had them, so the corkage fee was painless.

None of us can stop our peers from breaking the rules but I wish they all would be more discreet. Disney can and does change 'rules' all the time.

In my lifetime so many events or laws have been changed because people take advantage or continuously break the rules. It's frustrating as it infringes on all of us...........
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
Kac923
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=lanejudy;47930997]St. Albans

Hey! Small world-I'm in St. Albans! Hello neighbor!
Kac923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #15
adam185
Earning My Ears

Question about alcohol

Does it need to be brought on board in a factory sealed bottle or can you bring partially consumed bottles or flasks on board?
adam185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: