DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

October availability?

What are the chances of one of the lower priced DVC rooms at, say, Animal Kingdom or Boardwalk Villas being available for rent for a week in October if I wasn't going to be booking until October?
lhermiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhermiston View Post
What are the chances of one of the lower priced DVC rooms at, say, Animal Kingdom or Boardwalk Villas being available for rent for a week in October if I wasn't going to be booking until October?
Not a chance. You probably can't get preferred view at the BW now for October, except for a day or two here and there. Value villas at AKV? No chance. They get booked up first along with the concierge villas at AKV at 11 months out.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Thanks for the info! I figured it was a long shot (the trip kind of is, as well, at this point).

So, what's the verdict - should I push the trip back and go for a DVC room at AK or go earlier and do a value resort?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I figured it was a long shot (the trip kind of is, as well, at this point).

So, what's the verdict - should I push the trip back and go for a DVC room at AK or go earlier and do a value resort?
If you want Food & Wine Festival, you are probably too late for BCV or BWV for this year. And the rest of the year through mid-January are probably booked as well, especially if you want a lesser point villa to save money. Those were booked 11 months out. They usually are booked 11 months out.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Not a chance. You probably can't get preferred view at the BW now for October, except for a day or two here and there. Value villas at AKV? No chance. They get booked up first along with the concierge villas at AKV at 11 months out.
i wouldn't say no chance. we had 2 AKV Values booked since the 11 month mark and dropped them at the 7 month today. so, its probably more accurate to say very little ... almost no chance.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can only speak about BW because that is what I have experience in. You might be able to put together a three or four night stay if you are flexible with your dates. It will involve constant searching, booking one night at a time, and use of the wait list feature for single nights. It can be done, I just wouldn't count on it. Good luck though!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I can only speak about BW because that is what I have experience in. You might be able to put together a three or four night stay if you are flexible with your dates. It will involve constant searching, booking one night at a time, and use of the wait list feature for single nights. It can be done, I just wouldn't count on it. Good luck though!
I think the OP wants standard view at BWV and value villas at AKV. Not going to happen if he/she books in October for October.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

So, if I wanted an October room (let's say for 2014), I would just try to rent the points in November 2013?

And thanks for the help, everyone. I'm not a total dunce, I've read up on DVC, but I'm trying to make sure I understand the process completely.

Is staying at a DVC resort (even in a studio) a big enough upgrade over a value resort that I should wait for a DVC availability
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
So, if I wanted an October room (let's say for 2014), I would just try to rent the points in November 2013?
Yes, if you want standard view at BWV or Boardwalk view at BWV. You could wait a month or two longer if you would be OK with the BCV or a BWV Pool/Garden villa. You'll need to find a BWV owner to rent you points if you book more than 7 months in advance (or a BCV owner for BCV). Be prepared to pay a premium for booking those resorts that far ahead for during the Food & Wine Festival time. FWIW, many people do get into the BWV (Pool/Garden) at 7 months, but any available space is usually gone in a few days, if not a few hours.

Quote:
Is staying at a DVC resort (even in a studio) a big enough upgrade over a value resort that I should wait for a DVC availability
It would be for me. That said, it really depends on how much time you spend in your room or enjoying the amenities of the resort.

I don't know how you can "wait for availability" if your dates and villa size choice are booked. There is a waitlist process, but I do not know of any owners who would be willing to tie up their points for a rental that might never happen. If you are willing to consider higher priced views/booking categories, I'm positive that there is still availability for this October at one or more of the other WDW DVC resorts, even AKV. Doubt you'd find much if you waited until October to book, though. At that point, you may have trouble getting consecutive nights in the same villa / resort.

Good luck.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008

Last edited by CarolMN; 03-28-2013 at 09:05 AM.
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And thanks for the help, everyone. I'm not a total dunce, I've read up on DVC, but I'm trying to make sure I understand the process completely.

Yes, you would have to find an owner who has enough points to rent at the resort you want, or you can go through a broker such as David's. but you'll want to have everything lined up BEFORE the 11-month window opens because as Deb says, the villas you're looking for go in minutes once the window opens (you're looking to go at a very busy time of year for DVC).

As far as your DVC vs. value question, it depends on how you feel about not having daily housekeeping, or not having two real beds. Or if the kitchenette adds enough value for you.

For me, a deluxe is always preferable over a value. But there's just two adults in my traveling party, no kids yet. The other factor you have to weigh is the fact that with a DVC rental, you'd have to pay for the reservation mainly upfront and there's typically no changes or cancellations. Are your dates firm enough to make a commitment like that 11 months out?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

I think the OP wants standard view at BWV and value villas at AKV. Not going to happen if he/she books in October for October.
Yes, I overlooked the phrase "lower priced". I agree with your assessment, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The only way you will be able to rent anything from a DVC owner in October for a reservation in October is if the owner has an emergency and has to either cancel or rent out their reservation at the last minute. DVC owners incur penalties if they cancel 30 days or less from check-in so most members make the "go or cancel" decision for an October trip some time in September.

The odds of a last minute emergency (30 days or less from check in) are small but it does happen. The chances of it being a Standard View room at BWV or a Value room at AKV decrease your odds even further. Many members would be wary of arranging a last minute rental with a stranger due to the logistics of getting the payment prior to check-in.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Oops, I meant to say I would try to book an October room in April. Sorry for the confusion, I've been sleep deprived.

Also, I see a studio sleeps "up to 4," would that realistically be enough for myself, DW and 2 DDs?

I really like the idea of staying at AK, since we're big animal people, but I don't want to break the bank.

Choices, choices...life was simpler before I read about renting DVC.

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oops, I meant to say I would try to book an October room in April. Sorry for the confusion, I've been sleep deprived.

Also, I see a studio sleeps "up to 4," would that realistically be enough for myself, DW and 2 DDs?

I really like the idea of staying at AK, since we're big animal people, but I don't want to break the bank.

Choices, choices...life was simpler before I read about renting DVC.

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone.
AKV standard view isn't very many more points than value. And at Jambo House, those villas would be pool view. Not a bad option.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Deb & Bill

Studios at AKV would have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. Microwave oven, toaster, undercounter refrigerator with very small freezer section, coffee pot (Mr Coffee style 10-12 cup). If your daughters will fit in the sleeper sofa, you might be okay. Just depends what you are used to. A one bedroom really is better with four persons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: