Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

How do YOU tour DCA now?

Now that CL has been open awhile...

How do/will you plan on touring DCA?

What are you getting FPs for first, riding first, second, third etc? Where do you plan on fitting in the more relaxed experiences like Animations Academy ?

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

My gameplan, assuming RSR Single Rider is an option, and assuming that there was some sort of early entry that you didn't get to access, would definitely be to go to Toy Story Midway Mania first thing, then whatever you like for a while, and get a FP about an hour after park opening. It's POSSIBLE they will be out of FPs by then, but I would take my chances...provided you have Single Rider as a backup. I found wait times for Luigi's Flying Tires were 15-30 minutes--15 minutes about an hour after opening and also around 8 PM on a 10 PM close day. The 30 was after RSR broke down, so some folks probably chose to ride Luigi's since they were already there. The most I saw Mater's at was 15 minutes all day, and I really enjoy that queue, so I find 15 minutes pleasant. So I am not sure that it makes sense to rush to Cars Land to do those rides.

I've been meaning to type this up...this is exactly what I did on Saturday, 3/16. I would have gotten in line for a RSR FP around 10 AM, but my mom didn't get to the parks in time and I figured I didn't need a FP if I wanted to ride alone. (Though it would've been faster than SR during my trip, it seems.) This was a one-day visit, so I was able to run myself ragged. Timestamps are per my camera and likely off by a few minutes. Hours were 9 AM - 10 PM; there was AP-holder early entry.

8:15 AM - Get in shortest-looking entry line
8:29 AM - Watch a group of college cheerleaders make a Harlem Shake video (that wasn't intentional but they were in the next closest line)
8:42 AM - Enter park. Explore Buena Vista Street. Take photos. Get a locker.
8:58 AM - Queue up for the rope drop near Carthay Circle Theater
9:07 AM - In line for Toy Story Midway Mania (I believe it said 0 minutes)
9:12 AM - On Toy Story Midway Mania
9:25 AM - Little Mermaid was closed, but get adorable photo with Shellie May

I had never ridden 3 attractions in Bugs Land so I hurried to there, figuring they'd get busy quick (I think I was wrong).
9:36 AM - Ride Flik's Flyers
9:42 AM - Ride Francis' Ladybug Boogie
9:46 AM - Line for Tuck and Roll Drive'Em Buggies
9:54 AM - In car at Tuck and Roll Drive'Em Buggies
10:03 AM - Get in 15-minute line for Luigi's Flying Tires
10:04 AM - Realize I don't want to wait in line for Luigi's Flying Tires more than once and my mom had some interest and I would be OK with not riding it. Exit line.
10:07 AM - Get in 15-minute line for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.
10:08 AM - Hear Mater's blooper song in line. Giggle. Wonder why no one else looks amused.
10:26 AM - On Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. Being alone, am free to sing under my breath. Do so.
10:45 AM - On Golden Zephyr (walk-on; I love it and it can close due to wind, so I did this early. I got to ride with a small child, as his dad had two kids and didn't want one to ride alone...I think it was the first time I rode on the inside!)
10:54 AM - Met Duffy!
11:08 AM - Watching Five and Dime
11:31 AM - Met Minnie (she shows up after the Minnie's Fly Girls show, which was running about the same time as the Five and Dime show)
11:35 AM - Mom made her way into DCA Got Soarin' FPs
11:47 AM - Met Duffy again (I had never gotten a picture of me hugging him so I needed Mom to get one)
11:59 AM - Ghiradelli for brunch (the CM REALLY loved Shellie May and gave us extra chocolate)

12:25 PM - Little Mermaid/Ariel's Undersea Adventure
12:44 PM - Used Soarin' FP; off by 1:14 PM
1:14 PM - Saw last bit of Minnie's Fly Girls
1:27 PM - Tiny bit of shopping. I think I ran to pull Tower of Terror FPs but we didn't use them.
1:35 PM - Monsters Inc.
2:00 PM - Late lunch reservation at Carthay Circle Theater
3:38 PM - Watching the Red Car News Boys show
3:57 PM - Catching tail end of Minnie's Fly Girls
4:13 PM - Got on Red Car Trolley to do round trip. (This is a looooong trip anytime the Red Car News Boys show is playing, which is pretty much any time. Maybe try at night? I wanted to ride it once, though.)
4:36 PM - Waiting at Tower of Terror for trolley to take us back. Took us back. (I wanted to try a round trip and my mom was in a lot of pain so walking was not an option.)
5:00 PM - Off trolley; a bit of shopping at Buena Vista Street
5:19 PM - Realized Pixar Play Parade was coming by soon. Decided to watch it. Easily got viewing space behind a couple strollers.
5:27 PM - Watching Pixar Play Parade. (There was a girl dressed just like one of the dancing monsters, the one with the green scales and the red and white striped arms. It was adorable!)
5:39 PM - Parade over; wait for crowds to clear
5:47 PM - Explore Animation Building
6:00 PM - Learn to Draw Daisy
6:30 PM - Turtle Talk with Crush
7:00 PM - Mom goes back to hotel to get jacket. I get mine out of locker.
7:09 PM - King Triton's Carousel
7:27 PM - Golden Zephyr
7:35 PM - Wait for Mom at main entrance of Cars Land. Did not clearly specify which entrance. Much texting ensues.
7:58 PM - Waiting for RSR in a single rider line that the CM said was 30 minutes.
8:17 PM - Realize that not only is the line not moving, but there are no cars going. CM announces that they will try to get it running quickly and will inform us if anything changes. Mom is in an ECV so even if she had wanted to exit, it would have been very difficult.
8:54 PM - On Radiator Springs Racers. Wow. I don't remember the last time I waited an hour for a ride. Now I do!
9:12 PM - In "10-minute" line for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (rode soon thereafter)
9:27 PM - See the last minute of a performance at the Mad Tea Party, because Mom had wanted to see it. Mom goes back to hotel.
9:38 PM - Ride Mater's Junkyard Jamboree during fireworks (one-cycle wait; some tractors were empty)
9:47 PM - Ride Mater's Junkyard Jamboree during fireworks (one-cycle wait; some tractors were empty)
9:52 PM - Rush to Cozy Cones to buy some Sweet and Spicy Popcone, since I didn't/don't know if they are open after official park close. Forgot large Ziploc bag. Carefully balance pointy popcorn container in my tote bag.
9:59 PM - On Little Mermaid ride/Ariel's Undersea Adventure
10:05 PM - One last CM photo

10:15 PM - Viewed Roloc fo drloW (World of Color from the back side; much more relaxing for me than trying to watch with a crowd). Also enjoyed popcorn, which did not spill.
11:00 PM - Go to Guest Relations to compliment some CMs and say what a great day I had!
11:17 PM - Finally head on out, and I wasn't the last one, though the park closed at 10!

Last edited by Eeee-va; 03-28-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
My gameplan, assuming RSR Single Rider is an option, and assuming that there was some sort of early entry that you didn't get to access, would definitely be to go to Toy Story Midway Mania first thing, then whatever you like for a while, and get a FP about an hour after park opening. It's POSSIBLE they will be out of FPs by then, but I would take my chances...provided you have Single Rider as a backup. I found wait times for Luigi's Flying Tires were 15-30 minutes--15 minutes about an hour after opening and also around 8 PM on a 10 PM close day. The 30 was after RSR broke down, so some folks probably chose to ride Luigi's since they were already there. The most I saw Mater's at was 15 minutes all day, and I really enjoy that queue, so I find 15 minutes pleasant. So I am not sure that it makes sense to rush to Cars Land to do those rides.

I've been meaning to type this up...this is exactly what I did on Saturday, 3/16. I would have gotten in line for a RSR FP around 10 AM, but my mom didn't get to the parks in time and I figured I didn't need a FP if I wanted to ride alone. (Though it would've been faster than SR during my trip, it seems.) This was a one-day visit, so I was able to run myself ragged. Timestamps are per my camera and likely off by a few minutes. Hours were 9 AM - 10 PM; there was AP-holder early entry.

8:15 AM - Get in shortest-looking entry line
8:29 AM - Watch a group of college cheerleaders make a Harlem Shake video (that wasn't intentional but they were in the next closest line)
8:42 AM - Enter park. Explore Buena Vista Street. Take photos. Get a locker.
8:58 AM - Queue up for the rope drop near Carthay Circle Theater
9:07 AM - In line for Toy Story Midway Mania (I believe it said 0 minutes)
9:12 AM - On Toy Story Midway Mania
9:25 AM - Little Mermaid was closed, but get adorable photo with Shellie May

I had never ridden 3 attractions in Bugs Land so I hurried to there, figuring they'd get busy quick (I think I was wrong).
9:36 AM - Ride Flik's Flyers
9:42 AM - Ride Francis' Ladybug Boogie
9:46 AM - Line for Tuck and Roll Drive'Em Buggies
9:54 AM - In car at Tuck and Roll Drive'Em Buggies
10:03 AM - Get in 15-minute line for Luigi's Flying Tires
10:04 AM - Realize I don't want to wait in line for Luigi's Flying Tires more than once and my mom had some interest and I would be OK with not riding it. Exit line.
10:07 AM - Get in 15-minute line for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.
10:08 AM - Hear Mater's blooper song in line. Giggle. Wonder why no one else looks amused.
10:26 AM - On Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. Being alone, am free to sing under my breath. Do so.
10:45 AM - On Golden Zephyr (walk-on; I love it and it can close due to wind, so I did this early. I got to ride with a small child, as his dad had two kids and didn't want one to ride alone...I think it was the first time I rode on the inside!)
10:54 AM - Met Duffy!
11:08 AM - Watching Five and Dime
11:31 AM - Met Minnie (she shows up after the Minnie's Fly Girls show, which was running about the same time as the Five and Dime show)
11:35 AM - Mom made her way into DCA Got Soarin' FPs
11:47 AM - Met Duffy again (I had never gotten a picture of me hugging him so I needed Mom to get one)
11:59 AM - Ghiradelli for brunch (the CM REALLY loved Shellie May and gave us extra chocolate)

12:25 PM - Little Mermaid/Ariel's Undersea Adventure
12:44 PM - Used Soarin' FP; off by 1:14 PM
1:14 PM - Saw last bit of Minnie's Fly Girls
1:27 PM - Tiny bit of shopping. I think I ran to pull Tower of Terror FPs but we didn't use them.
1:35 PM - Monsters Inc.
2:00 PM - Late lunch reservation at Carthay Circle Theater
3:38 PM - Watching the Newsboys show
3:57 PM - Catching tail end of Minnie's Fly Girls
4:13 PM - Got on Red Car Trolley to do round trip. (This is a looooong trip anytime the Newsboys show is playing, which is pretty much any time. Maybe try at night? I wanted to ride it once, though.)
4:36 PM - Waiting at Tower of Terror for trolley to take us back. Took us back. (I wanted to try a round trip and my mom was in a lot of pain so walking was not an option.)
5:00 PM - Off trolley; a bit of shopping at Buena Vista Street
5:19 PM - Realized Pixar Play Parade was coming by soon. Decided to watch it. Easily got viewing space behind a couple strollers.
5:27 PM - Watching Pixar Play Parade. (There was a girl dressed just like one of the dancing monsters, the one with the green scales and the red and white striped arms. It was adorable!)
5:39 PM - Parade over; wait for crowds to clear
5:47 PM - Explore Animation Building
6:00 PM - Learn to Draw Daisy
6:30 PM - Turtle Talk with Crush
7:00 PM - Mom goes back to hotel to get jacket. I get mine out of locker.
7:09 PM - King Triton's Carousel
7:27 PM - Golden Zephyr
7:35 PM - Wait for Mom at main entrance of Cars Land. Did not clearly specify which entrance. Much texting ensues.
7:58 PM - Waiting for RSR in a single rider line that the CM said was 30 minutes.
8:17 PM - Realize that not only are the cars not moving, but there are no cars going. CM announces that they will try to get it running quickly and will inform us if anything changes. Mom is in an ECV so even if she had wanted to exit, it would have been very difficult.
8:54 PM - On RSR. Wow. I don't remember the last time I waited an hour for a ride. Now I do!
9:12 PM - In "10-minute" line for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (rode soon thereafter)
9:27 PM - See the last minute of a performance at the Mad Tea Party, because Mom had wanted to see it. Mom goes back to hotel.
9:38 PM - Ride Mater's Junkyard Jamboree during fireworks (one-cycle wait; some tractors were empty)
9:47 PM - Ride Mater's Junkyard Jamboree during fireworks (one-cycle wait; some tractors were empty)
9:52 PM - Rush to Cozy Cones to buy some Sweet and Spicy Popcone, since I didn't/don't know if they are open after official park close. Forgot large Ziploc bag. Carefully balance pointy popcorn container in my tote bag.
9:59 PM - On Little Mermaid ride/Ariel's Undersea Adventure
10:05 PM - One last CM photo

10:15 PM - Viewed Roloc fo drloW (World of Color from the back side; much more relaxing for me than trying to watch with a crowd). Also enjoyed popcorn, which did not spill.
11:00 PM - Go to Guest Relations to compliment some CMs and say what a great day I had!
11:17 PM - Finally head on out, and I wasn't the last one, though the park closed at 10!
Oh my goodness. Thank you for the inspiration to do this on my next trip!!!!!! I love how detailed everything is, and it just about seems like a touring plan if those are the exact rides you want to hit up. And using the camera as a timestamp is brilliant. I've been meaning to do one long trip report for my AP year, but after all your effort put into making this, I want to make mine as detailed as I possibly can. Thanks! :D
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Wow what great detail! You sure got a lot it in, very nice!!!

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
jenergy
I'm a human garbage disposal

LOVE the detailed day report. I would say I would do this also but I'm so forgetful that I'd probably forget I was doing it a dozen times and there would be random holes everywhere.

Where exactly do you watch WoC from the backside?
jenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenergy View Post
LOVE the detailed day report. I would say I would do this also but I'm so forgetful that I'd probably forget I was doing it a dozen times and there would be random holes everywhere.

HAHAHA me too!

I know we missed a lot of stuff last year in DCA and hope to make up for it this year!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
smiles33
DIS Veteran

This is incredibly helpful! I don't think we can maintain that pace (or that long of a day) with 2 young kids, but I loved getting a sense of how the flow went. Thanks for taking the time to reconstruct it and share it with us!
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You would watch it near Toy Story Midway Mania, the Wheel of Death, or anywhere you can find a spot at Paradise pier. Things may be backward, but the show's still really pretty
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Thanks, everyone! I was blessed that it wasn't a hugely busy day at DCA, but it WAS a Spring Break weekend and that's what I saw.

Quote:

I like behind Mickey's Fun Wheel. They actually have benches set up, though it was empty at the 10:15 show, until about halfway through three other people came by and decided to sit and watch. I kind of suspect one person wanted to sit and watch and the others not so much. (I stood because I like to get close to the fountains.)

The projections are visible. You miss something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the ones on the water (due to the Fun Wheel being in the way) and you can't see the projections on Screamin' at all (though those are pretty minor for almost everything), and the projections are in front of the fountains when they should be in back (for the most part). But otherwise it's not a bad view. I like it because you don't need to get there early (at least, not for the late show) and it's very peaceful.

(Not counting the public premiere of WoC, the two times I've seen it from the viewing area haven't been the best. One time we were on the rail but someone behind me--not related--kept leaning right into my space, and if I even shifted my weight, I ended up touching her...which baffles me because it was THE BRIDGE (to avoid crowds!) and the whole crowd was at most 2 people deep. The other time we were on the rail, on the water, but not the best location, so much of the water view was obstructed by people. I've seen the show 2 or 3 times from the "wrong" areas and I kind of like it better. )
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
pennyring
Thrift Ninja

This is my plan:

Breakfast in the Hotel
Park opens at 9:00
Show up at 8:30
Wide Right to RSR
Ride RSR
Send DH for RSR FP
Ride Luigi w/ nieces
Ride Mater w/ nieces
Send DH to pick up TOT FP
Send DH to pick up Soarin' FP
Send DH to pick up WOC FP
Ride TSMM w/ nieces
Ride Screamin' w/ nieces
Meet up w/ DH and possibly redeem one of our FPs if the time has come 'round - TOT or Soarin'
Possibly ride other FP - TOT or Soarin'
Lunch w/ Ariel and her pals
Possibly Grizzly and Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (or whatever they currently call it) **OR** Animation Academy
Back to the room for a rest and possible swim
Animation Academy, if we didn't do it earlier
Dinner at Flo's
Watch the lights come on in Carsland
Hit up whatever rides the girls want to wrap up with
WOC
Doneski
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
undertheseas
DIS Veteran

Holy cow Eeee-va, you got a ton done that day!
2007 - POP
2008 - POFQ
2011 - Beach Club and POFQ
2012 - CSR
2013 - DL
undertheseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyring View Post
This is my plan:

Breakfast in the Hotel
Park opens at 9:00
Show up at 8:30
Wide Right to RSR
Ride RSR
Send DH for RSR FP
Ride Luigi w/ nieces
Ride Mater w/ nieces
Send DH to pick up TOT FP
Send DH to pick up Soarin' FP
Send DH to pick up WOC FP
Ride TSMM w/ nieces
Ride Screamin' w/ nieces
Meet up w/ DH and possibly redeem one of our FPs if the time has come 'round - TOT or Soarin'
Possibly ride other FP - TOT or Soarin'
Lunch w/ Ariel and her pals
Possibly Grizzly and Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (or whatever they currently call it) **OR** Animation Academy
Back to the room for a rest and possible swim
Animation Academy, if we didn't do it earlier
Dinner at Flo's
Watch the lights come on in Carsland
Hit up whatever rides the girls want to wrap up with
WOC
Doneski
Your DH will not be able to pull a FP for Soarin and TOT in that order. They are both connected to the system. You need to choose obe or the other. RSR, CA Screamin and WOC are disconnected.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
NLZLS
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
Your DH will not be able to pull a FP for Soarin and TOT in that order. They are both connected to the system. You need to choose obe or the other. RSR, CA Screamin and WOC are disconnected.

Yikes, so Soaring and GRR are both connected now?
NLZLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLZLS View Post
Yikes, so Soaring and GRR are both connected now?
I've never heard of Soarin' being disconnected...I don't remember GRR being disconnected either, but even if it was, I would think with the weather getting warmer, they'd probably connect it even if it were previously disconnected.

California Screamin' has been reported as disconnected, though I would still get your higher priority FP first, in case they connected it. (I would not be surprised if they connected it during high-crowd periods, though I haven't heard of it happening at Screamin'. I believe last year Disney even connected Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin through the busy Christmas break period.)

During our trip, ToT FPs were going way faster than Soarin's, but there was a cheerleader convention in town, so a lot of young college students wanting to ride ToT, I'm sure. Soarin's return time was something like an hour or 90 minutes from when we pulled the FP. You should be able to get both FPs, just not right in a row.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
I've never heard of Soarin' being disconnected...I don't remember GRR being disconnected either, but even if it was, I would think with the weather getting warmer, they'd probably connect it even if it were previously disconnected.

California Screamin' has been reported as disconnected, though I would still get your higher priority FP first, in case they connected it. (I would not be surprised if they connected it during high-crowd periods, though I haven't heard of it happening at Screamin'. I believe last year Disney even connected Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin through the busy Christmas break period.)

During our trip, ToT FPs were going way faster than Soarin's, but there was a cheerleader convention in town, so a lot of young college students wanting to ride ToT, I'm sure. Soarin's return time was something like an hour or 90 minutes from when we pulled the FP. You should be able to get both FPs, just not right in a row.
GRR was disconnected for many years. It was re-connected 2-3 years ago. Soarin has always been connected.

DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: