Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #91
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonces View Post
Oh, and many birds are carnivorous. Hawks, eagles and most raptors eat mice, lizards, snakes. The Ibis and Egrets (the white birds) that are so common at the Disney parks will eat the lizards, fish and most any meat offered to them. They would far prefer meat over bread any day. Gulls will eat anything they can get a hold of.
Disney actually paid money and had an expert at FW for several years to encourage these birds.

My opinion - cats would be better - they would definitely discourage the birds and squirrels - but unlike birds - cats like to eat in save places - so no blood and guts in front of the kids.

sometimes happen not sure what - but Disney got rid of her - or at least moved her - she is no longer at Disney world.

or even a guy w/dog

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #92
LaurLaur04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat

Disney actually paid money and had an expert at FW for several years to encourage these birds.

My opinion - cats would be better - they would definitely discourage the birds and squirrels - but unlike birds - cats like to eat in save places - so no blood and guts in front of the kids.

sometimes happen not sure what - but Disney got rid of her - or at least moved her - she is no longer at Disney world.

or even a guy w/dog
I've always read in books that Disney has hundreds of feral cats roaming the property to keep the mice population!

My divorce is NOT the end...it is the BEGINNING!

My September 2010 TR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38382769
LaurLaur04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #93
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurLaur04 View Post
I've always read in books that Disney has hundreds of feral cats roaming the property to keep the mice population!
Disneyland does. They do reports on the news every so often. The feral cat population at DLR are spayed and tagged and given regular vet care.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #94
Shellandscott
Earning My Ears

We were "attacked" during the Nemo show back in 2008. Something ate thru my outer pouch of my back pack that was on the stroller to get the food inside. Right by the zipper, ruined the back pack as now it does not zip.

Numerous trips from 1973-1992
January 1999 - POFQ, May 2000 - & February 2004 - Offsite, August 2004 - BCV, January 2005 - SSR, May 2005 Hawaii (II), January 2006 - VWL, July 2006 - OKW, January 2007 Vegas (II), October 2007 - BCV, January 2008 - GF, May 2008 - VWL, Sept 2009 - BCV, May 2010 - VGC, May 2011 - SSR & BLT , May 2012 - VB, October 2012 - VGC, May 2013- BCV & VB, Dec 2013- OKW, Jan 2014 - BLT & SSR

Dream May 2011
Shellandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #95
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

In Feb I was taking the Ferry from TTC to MK... I love going upstairs and standing by the railing looking out. Before we left, there were birds EVERYWHERE near the Ferry. Of course, some people found it cute that they were "begging" and started tossing them food. This went on for a bit and the birds kept coming closer and closer, even landing on the railing waiting for more goodies until a CM told the other guests not to feed them because they will get very aggressive.

Some people just don't follow directions and continued to toss food when the CM wasn't looking. So, They kept following the boat all the way across the lake and swooping down VERY close to our heads. The entire boat ride, I kept looking over head praying I wouldn't get a surprise dropped from above.

A few years ago over by Frontierland where the Turkey Legs are. There was a crane just hanging around looking rather interested at family of four and their 4-5 year old enjoying her turkey leg. It kept getting closer and closer, even hopping up next to where she was sitting trying to steal it from her until a CM who saw that, shooed it away. The darn thing stayed around though, eyeing it's next victim.

I know there's nothing that we can do but, Dis should relocate some of the population. Isn't there a place in this world that needs Turkey Leg stealing cranes?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #96
Goldilocks07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaDeVil View Post
I have nothing to add except that this is one of my favorite threads on this board and has totally made my day!
Me too!!!
Cracking up!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #97
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
In Feb I was taking the Ferry from TTC to MK... I love going upstairs and standing by the railing looking out. Before we left, there were birds EVERYWHERE near the Ferry. Of course, some people found it cute that they were "begging" and started tossing them food. This went on for a bit and the birds kept coming closer and closer, even landing on the railing waiting for more goodies until a CM told the other guests not to feed them because they will get very aggressive.

Some people just don't follow directions and continued to toss food when the CM wasn't looking. So, They kept following the boat all the way across the lake and swooping down VERY close to our heads. The entire boat ride, I kept looking over head praying I wouldn't get a surprise dropped from above.

A few years ago over by Frontierland where the Turkey Legs are. There was a crane just hanging around looking rather interested at family of four and their 4-5 year old enjoying her turkey leg. It kept getting closer and closer, even hopping up next to where she was sitting trying to steal it from her until a CM who saw that, shooed it away. The darn thing stayed around though, eyeing it's next victim.

I know there's nothing that we can do but, Dis should relocate some of the population. Isn't there a place in this world that needs Turkey Leg stealing cranes?
Well, people can quit feeding them. The problem didn't start with the animals. It started with all those people who thought they were "cute". I hate the birds that hang out at AK at Flame Tree. Squirrels are nasty little rats.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #98
Disney Fool

The name says it all

I was staying at POR and decided to grab a bite and eat outside --big mistake! As soon as I opened my sandwich, two little black birds arrived, one boldly on the table, the other on the back of the chair next to me. I was slightly amused, but I continued unwrapping. As I lifted my sandwich to my mouth, I looked up and saw about 20 more birds coming to land on the overhang above us. I laughed and mentioned to my friend that too many birds were interested in my sandwich --and they were looking down at me, I looked away for a second and more birds show up---now, I'm wigging out as it was beginning to look like that scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" you know that scene where Tippi Hedrin goes outside the school to smoke a cigarette and doesn't notice all the birds gathering on the monkeybars? We grabbed our things and ran off, it was too weird.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #99
campbell95
Mouseketeer

We've been victims of bird theft twice. The first was at BWI as we walked towards Epcot, a seagull swooped down and snatched a granola bar out of my 3 year old daughter's hand. The second time was at the quick serve at Wilderness Lodge. A big black bird flew down and grabbed a fry from our basket as we were looking for a table. Scavengers!!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #100
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

I think I have linked this video before, it is from a trip a couple of years ago, at Disney Studios by Muppets stroller parking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZSqRUTf4Q
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #101
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

I had a rather frightening squirrel chasing us one morning at the Poly. I was afraid it was going to bite my ankles! Maybe it was after our diaper bag!
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: