Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
mhgmom
Mouseketeer

stroller crazy?

Okay, I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here, but I have to ask! In Oct. we will be in WDW with DD8 and DS6. They have been long out of strollers, but I'm feeling anxious about not having one for WDW. I know DD8 will not want to sit in a stroller, but I was thinking a single with one of those standing boards might work. Am I crazy to get a stroller for an 8 yo and 6 yo?

Here are my thoughts........

My kids have to be the worlds slowest walkers. I'm afraid that they will never be able to keep up with our fast walk pace at RD to make it to that first ride.

I'm concerned about my peanuts trying to wade through the RD rush of a crowd. At least if they are in/on a stroller they are contained.

A whole day in a park is exhausting. I'm thinking taking a ride in/on the stroller every so often may be a good break for them. Maybe if they get those little breaks they will have more stamina to make it through our 10 day trip.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Keep in mind this is just what we have done, but I am sitting here looking at pictures of my kids at various ages in WDW ranging from 4-teen and none of them have ever used a stroller. I know thats not common anymore for people on the DIS, but when my kids were that age, it just never occurred to us to use a stroller and they always did fine.

I think your kids will be fine. If there is need once you get there, you can always rent one.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
busymama224
Earning My Ears

Not crazy to me! We are going in 2 weeks and my kids are 6, 6, and 8 and we are definitely using a stroller. I just like the thought of having one for when the kids need a break
busymama224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
todzwife
There's nothing worse than walking around with a wet butt

Eh, that's really at my "threshold" for age for a stroller at WDW. That said, my 7 year old is REALLY slow and tires easily and we ended up getting a stroller for her because she couldn't keep up with our pace. I'd consider getting an umbrella with a higher weight limit (cybex ruby comes to mind-55 pound wt limit, weighs 13 pounds has a HUGE adjustable canopy). You could always try it out for a day or so and then rent one later if needed.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Mokat76
DisKat

So if you're going for 10 days, what's the urgency to get to a ride at RD? You've got all the time in the world to let your two slow-walking, but able-bodied kids walk and enjoy their visit. Geez, Louise, they're 6 and 8! They can walk; you can slow down. It's Disney World, not the Bataan Death March.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
SpartanMommy
Mouseketeer

Why the rush? I don't think you need a stroller, just take your time and enjoy your visit! Sometimes rushing makes us miss out on the moment.
1999 - Disneyland
2006 - Mom's Birthday at ASM
2008 - Quick Family Trip

Planning:
Winter 2015- DD's First WDW Princess Trip! FW Cabins
Winter 2016- Mom's Birthday Bash?
SpartanMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanMommy View Post
Why the rush? I don't think you need a stroller, just take your time and enjoy your visit! Sometimes rushing makes us miss out on the moment.
Yes!

If the pace you are setting is too fast for your healthy 8 year old, it is too fast.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
bennifer
Mouseketeer

It never occurred to me that I should bring a stroller for my 5 yr old on our first visit...and it's going to be his 4 yr old brother's turn this year and there is NO WAY I'm bringing a stroller for him. He's a slow poke, likes to rest and that's ok! I've brought a stroller twice when younger son was 11 mos and 25 mos, never again! It's too much of a hassle IMO.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgmom View Post
Okay, I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here, but I have to ask! In Oct. we will be in WDW with DD8 and DS6. They have been long out of strollers, but I'm feeling anxious about not having one for WDW. I know DD8 will not want to sit in a stroller, but I was thinking a single with one of those standing boards might work. Am I crazy to get a stroller for an 8 yo and 6 yo?

Here are my thoughts........

My kids have to be the worlds slowest walkers. I'm afraid that they will never be able to keep up with our fast walk pace at RD to make it to that first ride.

I'm concerned about my peanuts trying to wade through the RD rush of a crowd. At least if they are in/on a stroller they are contained.

A whole day in a park is exhausting. I'm thinking taking a ride in/on the stroller every so often may be a good break for them. Maybe if they get those little breaks they will have more stamina to make it through our 10 day trip.
IMHO, I would not feel comfortable with my 6 and 8 year old able bodied children in strollers. I know other people are. If I am walking too fast for my kids I slow down. This is not non-stop walking. If people are tired we go on a ride like the People Mover, sit on a bench and enjoy a snack or go watch a show. Exercise is good for the children. We usually go in October around Columbus Day and I have not experienced throngs of people at rope drop.

When we go next year my DS will be 6 and I am greatly looking forward to the freedom we will have without strollers. There would be no way I would consider a stroller for my son that has been out of strollers for 2 years. YMMV.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Ultimately, it's your family and only you can decide what is best, but if it were me I would not use a stroller for those ages. Maintain a pace that is fitting for little legs, trying to set an adult pace when you are with children is absurd and ridiculous. If you're worried about a stampede at RD, then don't do RD or go during a lower crowd time. You have 10 days, relax, take in the sites. It's a vacation, not a marathon. Right now, I think you may have some pretty unrealistic expectations and you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If this is you first trip, I wouldn't even plan on doing a ride for the first half hour you are there. The kids need a chance to let their surroundings sink in and adjust to the stimulation. Running into the park and jumping on a ride seems too invasive to me.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
2binak
DVC Owner

I wouldn't use a stroller for those ages. The best thing you can do is to go at their pace. If they need a break, grab a drink or a snack, find a bench or table to sit at and just people watch. If they want to stop to look at something or take something in, let them. If you're worried about rope drop crowds being too hectic, get there a little after park opening or stay at the back of the rope drop crowd.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
msmama
DIS Veteran

I don't know how big your kids are, but I'd think it'd be really hard to push 2 those ages (even with one standing). Also it might be hard to find one that will hold that much weight.

I am totally pro strollers and will be using one for my 5 year old in 2 weeks but he also has some sensory issues and uses the stroller for some decompression/down time (to me, the biggest benefit of strollers). He's also going to outgrow his stoller any day now, too!

If it were me, I wouldn't take a stroller for those ages (especially a long trip where I could go slow) but I wouldn't hesitate to rent one if I needed to.

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
goodeats
DIS Veteran

I would not bring one personally. If you find they can't keep up or they are dropping at the end of the day you can always rent one from Disney.

ETA - You may also find a stroller is more of a hindrance than a help at the rope drop "race". You'd have to park it, get both kids out then go in line. I'm a DL local and I take my 3 yo for six-eight hours without a stroller. There's a great freedom to not having them.

Next trip - Beach Club Oct 2015!

Last edited by goodeats; 03-27-2013 at 06:47 PM.
goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I would take a cheap umbrella stroller for a 6 year old, but I would not bring a stroller for an 8 year old. 6 is the limit for strollers in my family.
Disneylover99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

I didn't at those ages. I grudgingly made the rule for our family early -on 'no stroller after age 5'. And honestly with hindsight I wish I had made it 4.

Could it make it easier and less whiny? YES! But I decided I needed to do not what was easiest but what was best for the kids. And teaching them that they need to do their own walking for health and other reasons is a good thing! Kids got used to it after one trip....They knew if they wanted to go on rides - they need to walk it. And if they didn't - we could go back to the room (they have never opted for that). We do occassionally take a break on a bench with a mickey ice cream bar.

Also - since we have been without stroller - it is AWESOME! Especially nice if you're going at a busy time. Getting through crowds without that encumberance is SO NICE. I would never go back.

So my best advice is to go without it!
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: