Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
weschmom
Mouseketeer

Question Ever problems with ME & bags not arriving?

Just wondering how reliable the Magical Express service is with regards to luggage. I'm sort of the paranoid type....trusting our bags to someone else makes me pretty nervous. Last time we used ME (several years ago) we didn't put the yellow tags on and just got the bags ourselves.

What have others experienced/heard/read about this?
weschmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
tehvalerie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weschmom View Post
Just wondering how reliable the Magical Express service is with regards to luggage. I'm sort of the paranoid type....trusting our bags to someone else makes me pretty nervous. Last time we used ME (several years ago) we didn't put the yellow tags on and just got the bags ourselves.

What have others experienced/heard/read about this?
I was nervous about it, too, but we had no problems with this when we went in January. Our room wasn't ready at check-in, but by the time we got the text and got back to the room, our bags were already there.
tehvalerie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
sndral
DIS Veteran

I have used DME to deliver my bags for each of the last 5 yrs. the only problem was last year when they didn't deliver but I just called bell services who tracked the luggage down via computer (it was @ the airport) and had it brought out and delivered it to my room. W/ those yellow tags they scan the luggage and can track it via computer. Entrusting your luggage to the airline always carries a risk it'll go astray, of course, but the only risk free strategy is to only use carry on and even that can be stolen @ the TSA scanners. I really like the hassle free service that DME provides where my luggage magically appears in my room.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Experienced only excellent service.

Keep in mind you rarely hear from the tens of millions for whom luggage delivery went off without a hitch; you only hear from the few whose experience wasn't as expected. And some of that is due to a misunderstanding about timing.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Annie78
Mouseketeer

With a flight arriving at 3pm and wanting to start bedtime by 8pm, do you think I'm better off retrieving my own bags? I'll have the pajamas and toiletries in my carry-on, but I'd rather not have people knocking on the door late...
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie78 View Post
With a flight arriving at 3pm and wanting to start bedtime by 8pm, do you think I'm better off retrieving my own bags? I'll have the pajamas and toiletries in my carry-on, but I'd rather not have people knocking on the door late...
Nope. All you have to do is tell the front desk to hold your bags, and for insurance put the Privacy Please tag on your door. They will hold your bags until you call down for them.

You should have you bags by 8pm at any rate.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Wendy5055
DIS Veteran

Magical Express has always been great! We have never lost a bag and have been using it since it began. I don't know how we managed before Magical Express!

Wilderness Lodge July 2013
Grand Floridian July 2011
Polynesian, April 2010
Grand Floridian, May 2009
POP Century Aug/Sept 2008
POP Century October 2005
POFQ 1998
Offsite 1995
Offsite 1st Time EVER WDW 1985!!!
Wendy5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Is there ever problems? Sure, no doubt somebody, sometime has had problems.

Is it something that happens with any regularity? No, not in the least.

Also keep in mind when reading horror stories to distinguish between a DME issue and one with the airline itself.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We have used ME many times and only had 1 bad experience. In all honestly, I do not know if it was an issue with our airline (Southwest) or ME. We had a late arrival one time (but before 10 pm) and our luggage never showed up. I figured that maybe because it was late, they just decided to hold it at the front desk...well, I called the next morning and it was not there and I was told it was never picked up.

Long story short, I never got an explanation as to what happened to my luggage. We got it two days later after many visits to the front desk and many calls to Southwest. I have an inkling that because we had so many stops on our flight down that our luggage might have gotten off in Baltimore or Nashville...

Anyway, the manager at CBR was extremely sympathetic to the problem and even comped us $100 to go to the gift store and buy some stuff. Luckily, we always carry a good amount of stuff in our carryons, but it was certainly a stressful situation.

Despite that issue, we do not hesitate to use the ME service. We think it's great!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
siskaren
DIS Veteran

You're trusting someone else to get your luggage from your home airport to MCO, right? So what's different about trusting ME to get your luggage from MCO to your room?
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I have an inkling that because we had so many stops on our flight down that our luggage might have gotten off in Baltimore or Nashville...
Don't you just hate it when your luggage takes a vacation w/out you? Or my favorite, when the airline puts it on an earlier plane and it gets there several hours beforehand only to loop around the carousel (or be placed in those open racks on the side) begging thieves to take it. I prefer the security of those yellow tags where the luggage gets grabbed, scanned, sorted and sent to WDW by DME w/out ever hitting the open to the public baggage claim carousel.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Don't you just hate it when your luggage takes a vacation w/out you? Or my favorite, when the airline puts it on an earlier plane and it gets there several hours beforehand only to loop around the carousel (or be placed in those open racks on the side) begging thieves to take it. I prefer the security of those yellow tags where the luggage gets grabbed, scanned, sorted and sent to WDW by DME w/out ever hitting the open to the public baggage claim carousel.
Personally, I've never been to Nashville...I asked my luggage all about it, but it didn't have much to say.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: