DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #31
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
OK so let's say I buy at BWV, what happens when I want to stay at AKL. Do I keep on buying at all the DVC's. I'm sure all you BWV owners have stayed somewhere else..
Actually I own BWV and I haven't stayed anywhere else since I bought. And that was before I knew the wonders of F&W. I love the area and don't want to stay anywhere else.

I'm not saying the system is perfect I am just answering that part of your question.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #32
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2ME2 View Post
"buy where you want to stay" - Really?
I did buy where I want to stay: I want to stay at DISNEY!
I love having the option to stay at different places; that's what we did before we were DVC members, and we want to continue that.
& NO, I will not be buying points at every resort. I will book at my home resort at 11 months, and move to a different resort at 7 months, if & when I can. & that's exactly what you are encouraged to do; it was explained thoroughly by our guide when we purchased.
If you're happy staying at your home resort most of the time and trying for other options at times, you should be OK. However, you don't own at all the resorts, only certain ones and therefore there are limitations. Exchangers, renters and CRO guests will often come ahead of you for access, as they should when using home resort points. What the guide said or encouraged has absolutely no meaning in this discussion.

Last edited by Dean; 03-28-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #33
Goldilocks07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are always flexible with our time, we don't have to worry about the months or dates we go. This year is different. Our dog didn't do good with us on vacation last year so, this year she is staying with family and the only time we can work around them is Oct/Nov. We really didn't want to go then with the worry of getting a room.

We stayed at SSR last Dec and we really didn't like it. The kids ask if we could try and get BWV. I knew it would be hard because the time of yr. I just wish booking was a little different, but it worked out I got my week and hopefully we can add a few more days. After this yr I will not be back in Nov...LOL..

We usually go when seasons are low. I can't wait to get back to that time again
When exactly IS the low season? We also try to avoid the crowds, but in the past few trips found the parks very busy.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #34
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
OK so let's say I buy at BWV, what happens when I want to stay at AKL. Do I keep on buying at all the DVC's. I'm sure all you BWV owners have stayed somewhere else.
No, not really. But, it's hard to know when you do/don't need to own at a particular resort until you've spent quite a lot of time learning the system.

For example, some room types are hard to get almost year round, notably AKV Value and Concierge (all sizes), BLT Standard (all sizes), and the Grand Villas at OKW-HH or BWV. BWV Standard/Boardwalk View units in any size are also tricky. They aren't necessarily gone before 7 months year-round, but there will be many times when they are not available.

There are also times of year that are hard just about everywhere, because they are super popular. The first full week or two of December and New Years Eve are both in this category. Marathon Weekend can be tricky as well. For these periods, you want to make a reservation at your home resort at 11 months; switching is a bonus.

Then there are specific times of year at specific resorts that are hard. BWV and BCV during Food & Wine. VWL during the period between Thanksgiving and New Years (it's considered by many to be "the Christmas resort.")

There are probably other times at other resorts that I am not thinking of, but you get the idea. These "hard to get" reservations aren't impossible, of course, but you have to be flexible about dates, unit sizes, and more than a little bit lucky. You can't count on getting them, for sure.

Finally, things can and do change. For example, the Treehouses used to be hard to get year-round. But, as DVC has declared more inventory and rebalanced SSR's chart to raise THV point requirements, they've gotten easier.

The "buy where you want to stay" advice is really most appropriate if, like a few prior posters, you have one specific vacation at one specific resort that you want to take most years. If you really want to stay in the Epcot area for Food & Wine, and do that regularly, you probably need to own at BCV or BWV. If you want access to the AKV concierge floor most stays, you must own at AKV---and that one is hard even at 11 months.

Conversely, if you don't need to be at any one *particular* resort on a regular basis, I think the better advice is: "Don't buy where you would not be happy to stay." That way, if you are coming during one of those hard-across-the-board periods, you'll be satisfied with your home resort. You can still explore other places when they are available, and have a good chance at sampling all the resorts over time if you are flexible about when you do it. But, any non-home resort stay is one of those "Let's see if that works out" situations, not a "We are definitely going to stay there" deal. So, if you are "stuck" with your home resort, you want to be happy with it.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #35
crisi
DIS Veteran

Buy where you won't be disappointed to end up.

Make your plans to switch with the ultimate in flexibility. When you ask the kids "where do you want to stay" ask them for first, second, third and forth choices, explaining that they might not get their first, second or third choice (we own Boardwalk, so far, its always been at least our second choice - and we make that reservation at eleven months and switch if we want).

Be open to doing odd things when its important. My girl scout troop wants to use my points (I told them they could) to go to Hilton Head in the Summer. I'm not going to depend on getting that reservation at seven months - its a hard one to get - I'm renting it from Dave and will rent an equivalent amount of BWV points to him to cover most of the costs - I'll be down a few bucks per point in the transaction for Dave to get a cut, but I won't be looking at a bunch of Scouts and telling them to pick something else.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
loveswdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I went on line yesterday to book and the first day wasn't available, but the rest of the week was. So I go on today at 8 am to book again starting today, the whole is available, GREAT, by the time I click select, the first night is gone again.
Right there with you. I went through this except the first night wasn't available but the rest of the week was. Logged on the next morning to book what I could and the whole rest of the week was gone too. I'm using both of my waitlists. 1st waitlist for Sun, Mon, Tues & 2nd one for Wed & Thurs. I did get Fri booked already. If it doesn't come through, we have a BCV reservation already. I just wanted to save the points by staying std at BWV. Figured breaking up the WL may be easier to match a couple of nights at a time vs the entire week.

OUR TRIPS March '14-RPR/AKVK Oct '11-BCV Oct '10-HHI June '10 (Star Wars Weekends)-Swan/BWV Feb/March '09-OKW (Spring Training) Oct '08-SSR/POR (Alex's 1st trip) Oct '07-OKW (Our 1st MNSSHP) Dec '06-BCV (Our 1st MVMCP) Oct '05-BCV March '05-OKW/AKL (Spring Training/Jonathan's first trip!) Oct '03-BCV (first trip HOME!) Sept '02-POFQ (first trip for my mom!) Sept '01-Hard Rock Hotel (had to stay there!!) Sept '00-CSR (Millennium celebration) Sept '99-POFQ (honeymoon!) Jan '98 ASMu (first trip--the WDW addiction begins!)
loveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #37
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
If we are allowed to book at the 7 month or 11 month window I just want to be able to wait list that first night and still be able to book the rest of my nights. We are not allowed I get that, but I can still complain if I want to, and not be told over and over to buy there.
I hear ya. You just want someone to commisserate with you.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks07 View Post
When exactly IS the low season? We also try to avoid the crowds, but in the past few trips found the parks very busy.
That's the problem. When it is easier to get a DVC villa, it might be busy in the parks. And when the parks are not busy, it can be hard to get a DVC villa. For example, early Dec is not busy in the parks except for the cheerleaders/football players (Pop Warner) and they don't hit the parks as much as a guest who is staying there and not there for a competition. But you have to book DVC 11 months out to get early Dec.

The somewhat easier times to get DVC villas might be later in January, but not MKL weekend/week, February (but not President's holiday), early May, late August, September after Labor Day holiday.

I'd like for DVC to go back to reservations being made 11 months or seven months from the day of your departure. So you can book a day at a time if you really want that time frame, but you don't have to worry about the people who book six days ago and took your first night as their last night. And you can't book at all.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #39
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I would book the resort you can book today then immediately wait list what you want. If the rest is still available tomorrow you can change the booking and the waitlist but waitlisting today gets you at the front of the line when availability opens up as it often does. So far we have always had our waitlists filled.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #40
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I'd like for DVC to go back to reservations being made 11 months or seven months from the day of your departure. So you can book a day at a time if you really want that time frame, but you don't have to worry about the people who book six days ago and took your first night as their last night. And you can't book at all.
Wouldn't there still be an issue with this method? You'd only be able to book one day at a time this way?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #41
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
Wouldn't there still be an issue with this method? You'd only be able to book one day at a time this way?
Yes, when it was this way, you could only book one day at a time. BUT no one else had an opportunity to book the rest of your days before you did. So while it was time consuming, it worked very well to book each day by itself to assure you got what you wanted.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
Yes, when it was this way, you could only book one day at a time. BUT no one else had an opportunity to book the rest of your days before you did. So while it was time consuming, it worked very well to book each day by itself to assure you got what you wanted.
But many people ended up with "holes" in their reservations and sometimes the waitlists did not work. There were often way more people trying to get a particular villa for a particular night that there were villas, so the same person was not guaranteed to get the 2nd or 3rd, etc. nights after getting the first night.

Overall, the current method is more efficient for the system as a whole, because there are fewer reservations with "holes" that end up getting cancelled.

No matter which method is used, there will be some people disappointed. DVC doesn't care which member (or guest) gets a reservation - it just wants all of the villas reserved for all nights of the year.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #43
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
But many people ended up with "holes" in their reservations and sometimes the waitlists did not work. There were often way more people trying to get a particular villa for a particular night that there were villas, so the same person was not guaranteed to get the 2nd or 3rd, etc. nights after getting the first night.

Overall, the current method is more efficient for the system as a whole, because there are fewer reservations with "holes" that end up getting cancelled.

No matter which method is used, there will be some people disappointed. DVC doesn't care which member (or guest) gets a reservation - it just wants all of the villas reserved for all nights of the year.
This is exactly what I was thinking. If you've got 10 rooms available on a certain day, but 12 people trying to reserve those rooms, 2 people are going to be upset.

And how aggravating having to try to go on every day and reserve one night at a time.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #44
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. If you've got 10 rooms available on a certain day, but 12 people trying to reserve those rooms, 2 people are going to be upset.

And how aggravating having to try to go on every day and reserve one night at a time.
You only had to book day by day for certain booking categories at certain times of the year. Most of the time, you just waited until you were 11 months out from your check-out day and called MS once to book the entire stay on one phone call.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #45
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

wonder how traditional TS work where you buy a particular week - do you always get it or do you have to book before it's taken?

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: