DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellandscott View Post
I feel for the OP but as said that is how it works. But for everyone that keeps saying Buy where you want to stay. That would be great if Disney will sell it to you. Back in 2004 we had been kicking around this DVC idea. We called them up and said "we want to buy at Beach Club Villas", they say. " I am sorry but that resort is sold out already you can no longer buy at that resort, but we have a resort we are building if you want to buy DVC you will have to buy there" I even asked what if someone who owns there wanted to add points to which she told us. Oh if you own at a resort already you can waitlist if points come available you can buy them. I asked can we waitlist and they said No only current owners can do that. This is why in early 2009 we bought a small amount of BLT points because we wanted to have the option to add more later if needed.

Come 2010 or 2011 we find out ANYONE can waitlist for a resort. Had we been told the truth we would own where we want instead of SSR.

Thank you for your time and listening to my little rant.
That's very interesting. We didn't buy until December 2011, and practically every resort was available as a resale through Disney. They offered up all of them so I thought that's what was normally done. The price per point was different at each resort and so was the time left obviously. We were able to buy BCV at that time.

Now, when we talk to a guide they tell us the only thing available is AKV or Aulani. BUT they also say talk to your Rep and tell them what you want and then when it's available they'll contact you.

I wonder why in December when we bought there were so many available?

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006

That's very interesting. We didn't buy until December 2011, and practically every resort was available as a resale through Disney. They offered up all of them so I thought that's what was normally done. The price per point was different at each resort and so was the time left obviously. We were able to buy BCV at that time.

Now, when we talk to a guide they tell us the only thing available is AKV or Aulani. BUT they also say talk to your Rep and tell them what you want and then when it's available they'll contact you.

I wonder why in December when we bought there were so many available?

When we took our first tour i complained about akl & blt as being too dark and too modern respectively. I am sure i drove the guide a little crazy. I was very vocal and critical. It was a good hour + before he brought up that we might be able to buy sold out resorts. He had to check and make a phone call and ask. Guess he finally figured out there was no way i would buy akl or blt. We went home, went on the disboards and happily bought BCV resale elsewhere for quite a bit less. But had i not been that critical my guess is he would have avoided even mentioning we could buy other resorts other then the ones they were selling new. So it does not surprise me the other poster was never told.
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Shellandscott
Earning My Ears

That rep as left, from what I have been told from other people - reps get a different commission on the promo resort. Back then they may not have made much if anything off a BCV sale. I think Disney has seen an opportunity to make money by purchasing resale for less $ and sell it again for much more money. So the out look on those "old" resorts is different now then it was in 2004. And yes in the spring of 2012 we called about buying at VGC and our new rep gave us the price and said none were available now but we could go on the waitlist. We chose not to since we will only go out there every few years and we have been lucky so far for our needs for CA.

Numerous trips from 1973-1992
January 1999 - POFQ, May 2000 - & February 2004 - Offsite, August 2004 - BCV, January 2005 - SSR, May 2005 Hawaii (II), January 2006 - VWL, July 2006 - OKW, January 2007 Vegas (II), October 2007 - BCV, January 2008 - GF, May 2008 - VWL, Sept 2009 - BCV, May 2010 - VGC, May 2011 - SSR & BLT , May 2012 - VB, October 2012 - VGC, May 2013- BCV & VB, Dec 2013- OKW, Jan 2014 - BLT & SSR

Dream May 2011
Shellandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

When we bought in 1997 we bought OKW. We could have bought BWV, VB, HHI or OKW. We liked OKW the best. A few years later we wanted to get more OKW points, but our guide said they didn't have any available. I don't think they were selling VWL yet at that point. We wound up getting a resale contract. And shortly thereafter, they tore down the Commorodore House at OKW and built Bldg 62, 63 and 64. And we bought more OKW points direct.

So, for some of the earlier years, I don't think they had much inventory for the older resorts as they hadn't started purchasing back contracts much then.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
sgtpet
DIS Veteran

I hate to say it but this is why they tell you to buy where you want to stay. With so many DVC's it will always be more challenging to get reservations at certain locations at the seven month window.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
antree
DIS Veteran

OK so let's say I buy at BWV, what happens when I want to stay at AKL. Do I keep on buying at all the DVC's. I'm sure all you BWV owners have stayed somewhere else. I know by staying outside your home resort there is a penalty, I accept that, but I don't have to like all the rules. If I book at my home resort at the 11 mo window I could still only book 7 plus days and if my first day isn't available, don't I have to still play by the rules and wait until my first day is available? All I was doing is ranting like everyone else does here. If we are allowed to book at the 7 month or 11 month window I just want to be able to wait list that first night and still be able to book the rest of my nights. We are not allowed I get that, but I can still complain if I want to, and not be told over and over to buy there.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
Do I keep on buying at all the DVC's.
I know. Insane, right?
- bwvBound, who only DVC is at SSR and yet enjoys staying at lots of different DVC locations
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I own at BCV for ONE reason. I want a week at BCV during Food & Wine.

For most of my stays I am fine staying anywhere (Having done a check all the WDW resorts are on property LOL!)

But for that one week I REALLY want BCV so I bought there.

I think there are times where "buy where you want to stay" is true (like Epcot resorts at Food & Wine) and other times where it doesn't really matter. (My stay in April I could have stayed at almost any resort.)

So you don't buy at all the resorts, but you have to make some "priority" decisions when you do buy.

When I was selling off 'extra' points, financially the ones to have sold were BCV. Those were bringing in the most money. But I knew that the week I wanted would be VERY hard a t 7 months so I sold some OKW points because while I like staying there, there is no time i HAVE to stay there so if I can't get it for a week it won't be disappointing!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
LILJAN59
Mouseketeer

We bought at SSR in 2005

We have stayed at SSR 4 or 5 times, and have done split stays of 3 or 4 nites at VWL and AKL 2 times. We have done split stays with OKW and AKL. we just saw BLT last Wednesday, and booked a 2 nite LVS, for 3/31-4/2. That was a last minute, saw it on line decision!!! We have also stayed at HH and VB.
We like different things at each of the resorts. We will spend 11 nites at SSR from 12/22-1/2/14, in a 2 BR. We Wil have 2 cars, so we will be just fine.
I do not mind split stays to get some of my time at the resort I want.
We love AKL JAMBO and KIDANI, but the halls are way to long for us.
For convenience we like VWL. For peace and quiet we like OKW and SSR.
I do not know if we will like BLT, but we will try it!!!!
I am not planning a split stay from a 2 BR, too much stuff to move. It is easy to do split stays with studios!!!
If you can only get a few nites at your favorite, think about a split stay. At least you will have some of your time where you want to be.

Also, one time at AKK, I was able to get another nite the day we were supposed to check out, so one more day at AKK with our two grandsons.

Be flexible, it is a vacation, not rocket science!!!
LILJAN59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK so let's say I buy at BWV, what happens when I want to stay at AKL. Do I keep on buying at all the DVC's.
Of course not but if you wanted Club Level or Value rooms at AKV on a regular basis then you would want to own so that you could book your stays 11 months out. If you want a Savanna View or Standard View at AKV you will be OK for much of the year so there would be no need to buy there.

Lots of people are happy just to be at WDW and if they can switch resorts 7 months out that's great and if not, no problem. I'm not one of those people so, yes, I did take the advice here and bought where I wanted to stay and don't regret it. I like being able to stretch my points by staying in a Standard View room at BWV or splurge on a great view and book a Boardwalk View room there. Both of those require owning at BWV since we like to stay there during F&W.

Quote:
If I book at my home resort at the 11 mo window I could still only book 7 plus days and if my first day isn't available, don't I have to still play by the rules and wait until my first day is available?
Yes, the same rules apply 11 months from your check-in day. If that first night isn't available, you can create a wait list for the nights you want and try again the next morning. Allowing you to book the rest of your stay would be the same as allowing you to book more than 11 months from check-in.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK so let's say I buy at BWV, what happens when I want to stay at AKL. Do I keep on buying at all the DVC's. I'm sure all you BWV owners have stayed somewhere else. I know by staying outside your home resort there is a penalty, I accept that, but I don't have to like all the rules. If I book at my home resort at the 11 mo window I could still only book 7 plus days and if my first day isn't available, don't I have to still play by the rules and wait until my first day is available? All I was doing is ranting like everyone else does here. If we are allowed to book at the 7 month or 11 month window I just want to be able to wait list that first night and still be able to book the rest of my nights. We are not allowed I get that, but I can still complain if I want to, and not be told over and over to buy there.
The reality is that there is a risk you'll only be able to get your home resort and even then, you may not. IMO DVC has had far greater than expected availability at 7 months out, expect it to cont to get tighter in that regard.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
antree
DIS Veteran

We are always flexible with our time, we don't have to worry about the months or dates we go. This year is different. Our dog didn't do good with us on vacation last year so, this year she is staying with family and the only time we can work around them is Oct/Nov. We really didn't want to go then with the worry of getting a room.

We stayed at SSR last Dec and we really didn't like it. The kids ask if we could try and get BWV. I knew it would be hard because the time of yr. I just wish booking was a little different, but it worked out I got my week and hopefully we can add a few more days. After this yr I will not be back in Nov...LOL..

We usually go when seasons are low. I can't wait to get back to that time again
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Oct/Nov is low just not for Boardwalk or Beach Club due to Food & Wine. I'm sure you could've found something tho!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
E2ME2
ET

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post

honestly, if there's availability around that time, you'll probably get the reservation by waitlisting.

but there is a reason so many of us try to tell new buyers that things are easier if you just "buy where you want to stay" and book early...
"buy where you want to stay" - Really?
I did buy where I want to stay: I want to stay at DISNEY!
I love having the option to stay at different places; that's what we did before we were DVC members, and we want to continue that.
& NO, I will not be buying points at every resort. I will book at my home resort at 11 months, and move to a different resort at 7 months, if & when I can. & that's exactly what you are encouraged to do; it was explained thoroughly by our guide when we purchased.
BWV - January 2014
Coming Up:
AULANI - January 2015

E2ME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #30
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
....When I was selling off 'extra' points, financially the ones to have sold were BCV. Those were bringing in the most money. But I knew that the week I wanted would be VERY hard a t 7 months so I sold some OKW points because while I like staying there, there is no time i HAVE to stay there so if I can't get it for a week it won't be disappointing!
I sold off a 100 point contract at BCV in about 2006 or so and got $94 a point for that contract. I'd love to stay at BCV again, but if I can't, no big deal. But it is convenient for F&W.
Quote:
...We usually go when seasons are low. I can't wait to get back to that time again
So what do you consider low seasons? Since DVC is expected to be at least 95% occupied all of the time, you might not get your low season.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: