DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
antree
DIS Veteran

I Hate how the 7 mos window works.

I went on line yesterday to book and the first day wasn't available, but the rest of the week was. So I go on today at 8 am to book again starting today, the whole is available, GREAT, by the time I click select, the first night is gone again.
So at 9 am I call MS to double check and make sure that the first night isn't available, of course it not. Now this is what I hate, I can't do a split stay at 7 mos out. I decided to book AK for the first night and then I'll book BW for the rest of the week. NOPE you can't do that, your stay has to be at one hotel to book today I can book AK today and call back tomorrow to book BW..My frustration is, if I'm at my 7 month window, and we are allowed 7 months plus 7 days then what"s the difference how I book the reservations... Done ranting
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
LisaS
DIS Veteran

If they allowed this, it would become another form of walking. People would book up nights at a resort they don't want in order to get a head start booking the resort they do want.

This same restriction exists at the 11-month window. If I want to book a split stay 11 months out, I have to wait until the 11-month window opens for the second part of my stay to book those nights.
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
dwight16
Mouseketeer

what were you trying to book? i was on both days poking around 2 bedrooms in all the big resorts today bay lake was open and wilderness resorts away from food and wine.
dwight16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Can you waitlist the whole stay at the first day you can book, even if the first day isn't available? If so, that's what I would do and just keep trying. If not, then I would waitlist what I can, even if just the first day. It could be that people are just moving their reservations.

Somehow the 29th of December was the hardest for me to book at 11 months for an over NYE stay. After a week,the 29th came in for me.

I hope you can get what you want!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
antree
DIS Veteran

Aren't people doing that anyway? If the day was available today for someone and they booked it, can't they just cancel it in a few days, if they are walking the reservation? I never understood it, I heard about it but never knew what it meant..LOL.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
LoveKermit
DIS Veteran

OP--That's just how it works. It sucks, but that's the deal. Wait till someone comes on to say you have to buy where you want to stay.

We had the exact same issue with GCV this year. Lots of availability until the week we could go. If there is no availability on your first day to call, you cannot reserve the rest of the stay and waitlist day one. I think that is right. We did the same thing--we called. He basically said you have to be on the minute reservations open online. That is how fast they go.

We gave up and are staying at GCH on points (fortunately, we had a lot to use). It is frustrating, but you may now need to consider other options. You don't want to waste more time not getting the reservations you absolutely want while also losing out on your Plan B and Plan C.
DL-1999 offsite with DH**ASMu-2000 first onsite trip with DH**Offsite-2001 Halloween Horror Nights**Antigua-2002 Honeymoon**Offsite-2003 First Anniv. (Magical Music Days)**WL-2004**Dolphin-2004 (AP Nat'l Conference)**Shades of Green-Family Xmas 2005, Thanks for your service BIL**No Trip-2006, DD born in Dec!!!!!!!!**Poly-2007 **Dolphin MNSSHP/F & W-2008**BWV-2010**SSR-2010**BLT-2011**GCH-2013**BWV-2013
LoveKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKermit View Post
OP--That's just how it works. It sucks, but that's the deal. Wait till someone comes on to say you have to buy where you want to stay.

honestly, if there's availability around that time, you'll probably get the reservation by waitlisting.

but there is a reason so many of us try to tell new buyers that things are easier if you just "buy where you want to stay" and book early...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
antree
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We had the exact same issue with GCV this year. Lots of availability until the week we could go. If there is no availability on your first day to call, you cannot reserve the rest of the stay and waitlist day one. I think that is right. We did the same thing--we called. He basically said you have to be on the minute reservations open online. That is how fast they go.

We gave up and are staying at GCH on points (fortunately, we had a lot to use). It is frustrating, but you may now need to consider other options. You don't want to waste more time not getting the reservations you absolutely want while also losing out on your Plan B and Plan C.

I already had people say that to me, buy where you want to stay I ignored them.
We had the beginning of Nov planned first, then moved it back a week. I just talked to the kids and I think we will go back to the original date. Some family members are going the first week of Nov. I think I might just move it back to when everyone else is going and just pray for the best, that we can get a room then.
I was looking for a studio.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You're trying for the BW at seven months out for the end of October? That's F&W. And you get further along you run into the end of F&W, Jersey Week (if they still have it), Wine and Dine Half Marathon, Veterans Day. The Epcot resorts are very popular in Oct and Nov. If you really want to stay there at that time, you need to own there.

And if the Flower and Garden Festival picks up, that is going to make March through May harder to get as well.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:

Very true. I had been watching Wilderness Lodge fill up each day as my 7 month window approached. I was on at 8am on the dot and was able to get it. For fun I tried to go on at like 8:15 and that first night was gone.

Buying where you want to stay is great and all, but I like staying in different places. I am glad we bought at BCV, though, now knowing how busy it gets there.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
Aren't people doing that anyway? If the day was available today for someone and they booked it, can't they just cancel it in a few days, if they are walking the reservation? I never understood it, I heard about it but never knew what it meant..LOL.
Yes if the first day was available today, they could book it and cancel later if they are walking a reservation. But the day isn't available so they cannot book it. However, if things worked as you wish they did, they could book SSR for the first night and grab the remaining 6 nights at BWV that are available. That allows a lot more people to walk reservations because they could start walking at any resort that is available for the first night(s), ending up at the resort that they really want, getting the jump on those who don't know about this trick and tying up inventory at another resort.

The reason I don't like walking is because members tie up inventory they have no intention of using, blocking other members who do want those nights. Yes they eventually release them and the other members could put a waitlist in place but the waitlist process can be circumvented as well, making it possible that the member waiting for those nights never gets them.

Last edited by LisaS; 03-27-2013 at 10:35 AM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

This is how things work in *any* timeshare system---the most popular resorts/times are going to go very very fast, because many more people want rooms than there are rooms available. No matter how you arrange to do reservations, someone is going to get shut out. For something like a BWV studio during Food & Wine, well, it's just down to random chance who hits the "reserve" button first---and that's assuming there are any left after the home resort owners book there.

For example, I'm spending next week at Wyndham's Old Town Alexandria in a 2BR. That's Easter Week, *plus* the very peak of the Cherry Blossom festival. Perhaps only the week including July 4th is more popular. Wyndham opens reservations for non-home-resort owners at 7AM, 10 months in advance. I was on my computer, hitting refresh constantly, at 6:55. By the time I was done booking, in just a few minutes, all of the remaining 2BRs were completely gone.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
quinnc19
DIS Veteran

Yes, you can do this. If I was the OP I would definitely waitlist the entire stay on day 1 and then change the waitlist to reduce the amount of days I was requesting as I was able (to increase the likelihhod it would be filled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Can you waitlist the whole stay at the first day you can book, even if the first day isn't available? If so, that's what I would do and just keep trying. If not, then I would waitlist what I can, even if just the first day. It could be that people are just moving their reservations.

Somehow the 29th of December was the hardest for me to book at 11 months for an over NYE stay. After a week,the 29th came in for me.

I hope you can get what you want!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Shellandscott
Earning My Ears

I feel for the OP but as said that is how it works. But for everyone that keeps saying Buy where you want to stay. That would be great if Disney will sell it to you. Back in 2004 we had been kicking around this DVC idea. We called them up and said "we want to buy at Beach Club Villas", they say. " I am sorry but that resort is sold out already you can no longer buy at that resort, but we have a resort we are building if you want to buy DVC you will have to buy there" I even asked what if someone who owns there wanted to add points to which she told us. Oh if you own at a resort already you can waitlist if points come available you can buy them. I asked can we waitlist and they said No only current owners can do that. This is why in early 2009 we bought a small amount of BLT points because we wanted to have the option to add more later if needed.

Come 2010 or 2011 we find out ANYONE can waitlist for a resort. Had we been told the truth we would own where we want instead of SSR.

Thank you for your time and listening to my little rant.

Numerous trips from 1973-1992
January 1999 - POFQ, May 2000 - & February 2004 - Offsite, August 2004 - BCV, January 2005 - SSR, May 2005 Hawaii (II), January 2006 - VWL, July 2006 - OKW, January 2007 Vegas (II), October 2007 - BCV, January 2008 - GF, May 2008 - VWL, Sept 2009 - BCV, May 2010 - VGC, May 2011 - SSR & BLT , May 2012 - VB, October 2012 - VGC, May 2013- BCV & VB, Dec 2013- OKW, Jan 2014 - BLT & SSR

Dream May 2011
Shellandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Ugh all I can say is good luck to you.

I have been trackin VGC for awhile and have seen this same thing happening so a couple of days ago I got on right at 8am and grabbed a week. I am being a jerk and walking it but there are no other DVC resorts there so I felt like it was my only shot!

I did buy where I want to stay but this is a one-off trip and we are trying to save funds by using various travel points.

Good luck!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: