Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #61
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
Wow no one said anything about being a perfect mom except for you
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wan't accusing anyone here of thinking they are the perfect mom. What I was trying to say is that I think that the ever changing recommendations of this group or that group about what is "best for baby" feeds the guilt we all have about the need to be the perfect mommy. I think that a lot of times they are playing on that guilt in an attemt to stay relevant. Sorry for the confusion.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #62
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
they are okay in the car because the kid NEEDS to be in it. they don't NEED to be in it for hours and hours in the hot florida sun at Disney World. I seriously do not understand what the big deal is about getting a regular stroller that the kid can move around in?
If the kid is happy and comfortable in it, what is the difference between sitting in it in the car and out of the car? Some kids are just hapier in different spots. My kid HATED sitting in a 5 point harness stroller at that age so it wouldn't have worked for us. I honestly don't know what my solution would have been in this situation but I had a kid that at 8 months didn't tolerate the stroller or being worn very well. She was honestly happier in the infant seat snapped into the stroller than anywhere else when we were out and about. She could see me, and I could see her. I could talk to her while we were strolling along and interact. I couldn't do that in a forward facing 5 point harness stroller and she was forever turning around to see me, show me something, ect. We were no longer using it in the car but I ddid use is as part of the stroller. I can see the appeal of using what baby is happiest with in an unfimilar situation like Disney.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #63
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wan't accusing anyone here of thinking they are the perfect mom. What I was trying to say is that I think that the ever changing recommendations of this group or that group about what is "best for baby" feeds the guilt we all have about the need to be the perfect mommy. I think that a lot of times they are playing on that guilt in an attemt to stay relevant. Sorry for the confusion.
I get it now sorry

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #64
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
I get it now sorry
No problem. I reread my post and I can see how you might misunderstand. I should have been a little more clear.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #65
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Truly, the best option is to postpone the trip, but that may not be feasible.
It's a sad fact that many back injuries aren't easily fixable. Some people live in constant pain for years while they search for relief.

I understand how a sunny spring day of people-watching in WDW (even without rides) can be relatively fun. The thought of taking care of a pre-schooler and baby with a back injury makes me shudder. I'd bet OP really needs a vacation right now!
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #66
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
So if they are so bad for them, why are they OK in the car?? Why are we not changing the design of carseats to make them better if they are so horrible for a baby's development? It makes no sense that something could be perfectly ok for an 4 hour car ride but not ok for 4 hours outside the car. My baby had horrible reflux and the peditrician TOLD me to have her sleep in her carrier becuase it was SAFER and more comfortable for her than choking on her own vomit. She slept better and did not reflux nealy as much. It didn't do her any harm.

I tend to think they are not as "bad for babies" as some organzations like to argue and that it is more of an "I'm the perfect mommy becuase I do it this way" thing to go along with the current trend that total attachment to your kid 24/7 is the only way to raise a normal, well adjusted child. The bottom line is that you need to do what is best for YOUR kid and what works for YOUR family. For most things there is not one right answer that works for everyone in all situations, and in reality there are very few things a caring, loving parent with common sense can do that will really do lasting harm to an infant, but we guilt ourselves in to believing every tiny decision is going to scar our kids for life. It isn't.
You aren't supposed to leave a baby strapped in for hours without a break in the car, either.

The recommendations on this are clear. I think people like to refer to 'oh, they're always changing things' when they do not understand the source or have not read the studies.

Infant seats are great for protecting kids from injury in car accidents. But they aren't intended to be used otherwise.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

(btw, suffered a serious back injury at work years ago. I usually end up needing a chair in the parks. I have every sympathy for back pain, it's no joke, and I'm not about to postpone my life on the off chance that after 13 years it might get better :-p )

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #68
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To the OP sorry your plan to bring them on the ride won't work and sorry so many here questioned your parenting.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have not questioned her parenting. Yes, I advocated someone wearing the baby (her DH since she can't) - I only did so because we found it to be helpful from a pure logistic standpoint. It has absolutely nothing to do with feeling like it's bonding more than a stroller or whatever (because I don't feel that way).

As I said before, I use my snap n go for my 8 month old at home. Pretty much exclusively. The only time I don't is when we're just going out for a walk. Then she goes in her city mini (because she's awake when we're doing that, and it doesn't last more than 30 mins). So obviously I don't have a problem or prejudice with 8 month olds being in bucket seats. We didn't bring our snap and go to WDW because we felt it would be cumbersome. And looking back now that our trip is over? It would have been.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #69
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

OP - another suggestion for you, if you're still reading.

I don't know about other rental companies, but with Kingdom Strollers you can rent the car seat adapter for the City Mini. So you'd have the best of both worlds - a very easy to push stroller, with a full recline and amazing sunshade (much better than my Graco car seat!), as well as the ability to hook the bucket seat to it and then have the baby up higher for you.

I've seen the adapter, and if you had the baby in the stroller at any point, the adapter should easily fit underneath in the basket.

You'd also have the much easier fold going this route.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #70
mommy2_3
DIS Veteran

we are renting a double stroller and bringing a double stroller. we will be doing tons of walking and i know for a fact my 2 and 3 yr old will not walk all the time lol! my 5 and 6 yr old will want to ride in a stroller for a little bit, which is why we are renting another one. but i am also bringing my sports Ergo. if my 2yr old gets overly tired and wont sleep in the stroller (which happens once in a while. he is a great stroller napper) i will just put him on my back and he will be out before i can put the hood up!

All star sports-5/24/13
mommy2_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #71
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
I can't believe the OP is getting so much grief on this board! My kids both fit in their bucket seats till around 8 months. I loved how simple it was to snap them straight from the car into the stroller and back into the car. I was never wore my babies. I think those who do seem to be very prejudiced against those who don't, much like nursing vs. bottle feeding. Those who like to strap their kid on like to feel superior to those who push their kid in a stroller, whether it be in a baby seat stroller alone. Those who wear feel they are "bonding" and those poor babies being pushed are all alone. That's nonsense, I have no less of a bond with my kids because I choose the easy way of loading them into a baby seat and snapping it in a stroller. I do agree that Disney will not allow the seat on rides, but I can see that if I had never been before and I had a baby still in one I would ask that question too. Once they are sleeping in there you don't want to take them out. That is the beauty of those seats, they can sleep during transitions, like moving from the mall to the car back to the house. You can't wear them home in the car in a wrap!

To the OP sorry your plan to bring them on the ride won't work and sorry so many here questioned your parenting.
If you've never worn your kid, than how do you know if the bonding is different? Besides it's not only about the bonding, it's just easier to baby wear....not to mention cheaper. I knew nothing of baby wearing with my 1st. We bought the expensive travel system stroller, because I thought that's what you're suppose to do (because it comes with the carseat). I carried him and that carseat all over....heck even had popped blood vessels in the crease of my arm from carrying it. If you're by yourself and baby's in the stroller and wants to be held....you're now carrying a baby AND pushing a big stroller. Then once he grew out of the infant car seat, we had to buy another carseat for him. Thankfully I discovered baby wearing with my 2nd. It's so much easier. The sling I had with her was $50. NO $150+ for a travel system, NO needing to eventually buy another carseat, etc. I cringe when I see a parent walking into a store carrying a carseat....I cringe for the parent because it's heavy and I cringe for the baby in the seat getting a flat head and losing their hair due to sitting in it...again.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #72
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post

I cringe when I see a parent walking into a store carrying a carseat....I cringe for the parent because it's heavy and I cringe for the baby in the seat getting a flat head and losing their hair due to sitting in it...again.
Wow, that's dramatic. Carrying an infant in a carrier for 1 30 minute trip to the grocery store a week, or even a day is NOT going to give them a flat head or make them rub their hair off. All my mom friends have carried their infants in carriers for errands, and the kids have lots of hair and round heads. The made sure to give them lots of tummy time and time sitting up at home.

I'm glad baby wearing was the best option for you. But there is no reason to over generalize by saying babies in a carrier outside of the car have flat heads.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #73
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
Sorry, I'm strongly against keeping babies in their carseats for convenience. It's a carseat and belongs in a car. Babies crave to be held and close to their parents...it's where they feel safe, not in a hard cold car seat. You can't take the carseat on a ride. My suggestion....either carry your baby or invest in a carrier/wrap. Trust me....it's much easier than carrying around a carseat! With my 1st, I knew nothing of baby wearing but luckily discovered a sling when I had my 2nd. It truly makes life so much easier and it's better for the baby.
Just remember that what is better for YOUR baby isn't what is better for ALL babies. And general statements like these are almost never true.

My DD HATED all kinds of carriers with a passion. She would scream bloody murder whenever placed in one. Didn't matter who was holding her or what kind of carrier. She was also a baby who wouldn't tolerate swaddling.

Now, she was a big baby and had outgrown the infant car seat at 4 months. So, she spent very little time in it. But, she LOVED to be out and about in her stroller. And, it had to always be in the sit up position. She hated it lying down! She was too interested in the world around her.

Today she is 10, in 4th grade, straight A student, ballet dancer, is emotionally sound, yada yada yada..... Not spending time in a baby carrier had no affect on her well being at all.

OP - I do agree that if your baby and you are OK with it, a carrier would be easiest. If not, there's nothing wrong with swapping off on some rides.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #74
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
Just remember that what is better for YOUR baby isn't what is better for ALL babies. And general statements like these are almost never true.

My DD HATED all kinds of carriers with a passion. She would scream bloody murder whenever placed in one. Didn't matter who was holding her or what kind of carrier. She was also a baby who wouldn't tolerate swaddling.

Now, she was a big baby and had outgrown the infant car seat at 4 months. So, she spent very little time in it. But, she LOVED to be out and about in her stroller. And, it had to always be in the sit up position. She hated it lying down! She was too interested in the world around her.

Today she is 10, in 4th grade, straight A student, ballet dancer, is emotionally sound, yada yada yada..... Not spending time in a baby carrier had no affect on her well being at all.

OP - I do agree that if your baby and you are OK with it, a carrier would be easiest. If not, there's nothing wrong with swapping off on some rides.
I hated baby carriers! Nothing hotter than a baby. I kept them in the bucket for as long as possible - so easy to transport. However, I think by 8 months, a regular stroller will do. The baby will probably like to look around - I know mine preferred the scenery going by than my mug when they were older.

I find nothing natural about wearing a baby - I think humans would have been born with pouches or strong baby grips like monkeys if that's how we were supposed to transport them.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #75
tyzzle
Mouseketeer

I left my daughter in for naps during trips to the store, but I wouldn't do it while doing Disney.

http://www.oandp.org/jpo/library/2003_03_102.asp

Me Hubby Delilah(5) Delores (2)
tyzzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: