Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #31
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

35 month old? lol, i had to do math on that one. i didn't know we were supposed to still count months after like a year.

i have herniated discs in my back and neck. i carry my baby in an ergo. it's great for the back because it distributes the weight much more evenly.

if you're not going to carry the baby, put him in a real stroller. by the time they are 8 months old aren't they approaching the weight limit of the infant carriers anyway?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
by the time they are 8 months old aren't they approaching the weight limit of the infant carriers anyway?
Not necessarily. My 8.5 month old is almost 16 lbs (she was 6 lbs 13 oz at birth). The weight limit for her car seat is 32 lbs. She's still almost a full 4" away from the height limit as well.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #33
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
by the time they are 8 months old aren't they approaching the weight limit of the infant carriers anyway?
Not these days. Lots of infant seats go from rear to front facing and hold them up to 35 pounds. I am sure there's been an 8 month old that big but it's definitely not the average. Even my behemoths don't get that big *that* fast!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #34
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Not these days. Lots of infant seats go from rear to front facing and hold them up to 35 pounds. I am sure there's been an 8 month old that big but it's definitely not the average. Even my behemoths don't get that big *that* fast!
those are convertibles, but that's not what the OP is talking about. the infant seats are only rear facing and snap in and out of the carseat base so you can take the whole seat with you.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #35
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
those are convertibles, but that's not what the OP is talking about. the infant seats are only rear facing and snap in and out of the carseat base so you can take the whole seat with you.
Even still, the Graco Snugride 35 has a 35 lb weight limit as well, and that's an infant bucket seat

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #36
dp911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee
I wouldn't keep the baby in the carseat all day. Can you imagine how uncomfy that would be? My babies would have wanted to sit up and see people. I would buy a dif stroller or rent one. There is no room on rides for the baby buckets.
This my baby loved being in the ergo and her stroller looking around and stretching her legs. I would not use a cars eat all day over 6 mths
dp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
ahsquared
Mouseketeer

I'd get a carrier like and ergo or boba (NOT A Bjorn) then you can wear your baby on your back. I wear my 7 month old for hours like that with no discomfort. I even wear my toddler in it.
ahsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
35 month old? lol, i had to do math on that one. i didn't know we were supposed to still count months after like a year.
I think it's an online thing. You want to be as specific as possible. A 35 month old is 2, but not really a 2 year old, he's almost a 3 year old. It can make a difference when describing things. I don't remember it going much past that 36 month mark, though.

Someone will have to get the baby out of the stroller, and that's got to be worse for the spinal problems than just wearing him with something like an Ergo, wouldn't it? The stooping, crouched over position, unclipping, then lifting? So someone is going to have to be available for that; that person might as well do the wearing.

DH never felt comfy using any of the carriers I loved, but fell in LOVE with a purple swirly Maya ring sling and just adored the time he spent with DS using that. Granted that's not the choice most hubbies would make, but you never know! I certainly didn't know he'd fall for that one!

So if hubby will be there and would be on get-baby-out-of-stroller duty anyway due to your spine, find him an Ergo or something like that.

For restaurants, just hold baby on your lap. Takes some getting used to, so if you don't do that at home, start. And lean WAY back when the food arrives. I would end up sitting somewhat sideways, because we delayed solids for quite a long time and I didn't want him to accidentally get foods OR slam the plate onto the ground OR get us all messy. So he sat over to a side and my right hand and side of my body stayed close to the plate, LOL.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #39
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsquared View Post
I'd get a carrier like and ergo or boba (NOT A Bjorn) then you can wear your baby on your back. I wear my 7 month old for hours like that with no discomfort. I even wear my toddler in it.
The OP responded and said she has a carrier, but she has physical problems that prevent her from being able to use it right now.

April 2011

Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #40
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Let hubby pick out a carrier that he's comfortable using. You won't be allowed to take a car seat on rides, not to mention its not ok to just leave your baby in one for convenience sake. An awake 8 month old will surely be screaming to get out of it after a few minutes, anyway.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #41
Rydalot
Earning My Ears

I just asked a simple question...didn't expect to be berated for my choice of transport in the process. Seems like the people doing so are not taking the time to read what I have posted so I will explain again. We will not be in the park all day...maybe 2-3 hrs early am and 2 hrs in the evening and that will be really pushing it for me physically. Dh will be doing most of the rides with toddler. I will be looking for shady spots to sit with babe on lap but will use the car seat stroller to get from one attraction to another. The car seat stroller works great for me as he is high up making it mch easier for me to lift him out myself. As I had mentioned I was just curious if there were any attractions if baby was napping I could actually participate too rather than being stuck on the sidelines without lifting him out and disturbing his sleep. By the way, if it's so bad to have your baby in a car seat, why do so many companies make strollers that fit them? Just saying. I have the answer I needed with the first response...no car seats on/in attractions...got it....no further responses needed for this thread. Thank you.
Rydalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #42
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

You will not be able to take your stroller many places. You would need to carry your baby in line for rides (and sometimes the stroller parking is not that close). Also most ts and some cs places do not allow it. And again most shows. Those car seats can get very heavy to carry around. Have your dh carry the baby in a carrier and rent a double stroller or another umbrella one. Even if your little one is not sitting up by themselves any stroller with a slight recline and 5 point harness will be fine.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #43
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot
I just asked a simple question...didn't expect to be berated for my choice of transport in the process. Seems like the people doing so are not taking the time to read what I have posted so I will explain again. We will not be in the park all day...maybe 2-3 hrs early am and 2 hrs in the evening and that will be really pushing it for me physically. Dh will be doing most of the rides with toddler. I will be looking for shady spots to sit with babe on lap but will use the car seat stroller to get from one attraction to another. The car seat stroller works great for me as he is high up making it mch easier for me to lift him out myself. As I had mentioned I was just curious if there were any attractions if baby was napping I could actually participate too rather than being stuck on the sidelines without lifting him out and disturbing his sleep. By the way, if it's so bad to have your baby in a car seat, why do so many companies make strollers that fit them? Just saying. I have the answer I needed with the first response...no car seats on/in attractions...got it....no further responses needed for this thread. Thank you.
Wow why post if you don't want the responses. We are mostly moms here and it does bother people when we see babies in carseats all day. It's one thing for a newborn to be in the baby bucket for a long time and another for an 8 month old. 8 month old do well in reg strollers.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
By the way, if it's so bad to have your baby in a car seat, why do so many companies make strollers that fit them?
To make money. Clearly more and more moms are realizing how bad it is to leave them in a carseat, thus the responses you've gotten. Can you postpone your trip until your back is better? Sounds like a miserable time to only spend 2-4 hours a day in a park and not be able to do anything at that. Just an idea.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #45
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot
Wow. We are all moms here and just trying to give some helpful advice. And yes it's not the best to keep an older baby in an infant seat in a stroller for long periods. They are more meant for newborns. That said if you really want to use it then use it. Don't get pissy with people who are just trying to help you.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: