Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I have not know any 8 month old who would happily sit in a car seat all day. Not only would it be very uncomfortable, it could get really hot. Use a stroller or carrier.

No car seats on the rides.
I agree

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
HHMcG
Mouseketeer

Last trip my youngest was 9mo. He wasn't in the stroller much. Ride are close together. So we would park the stroller and go from ride to ride in a section. After a while we would move on and re-park the stroller. The chance to fall asleep in the stroller were limited to long walks. I borrowed a carrier (Ergo - my guy was way too big by then for mine) and that was perfect. He could kind of sit on my lap in it on the ride or at shows. He would fall asleep in it and just come along for the ride. It has a canopy to put over head to minimize noise and provide shade. It worked out perfect.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Annie78
Mouseketeer

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose reaction was to get that kid out of the carseat and into a carrier or at least a real stroller. At that age, do both the kid and the parent a favor by going for some kind of two-shouldered carrier that puts the kid in a comfy seated position (not dangling by the crotch).
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
Rydalot
Earning My Ears

I have a wrap and a carrier but am currently injured with a hernia and sprained tendons in my back so I can't carry him. He is not able to sit up yet on his own. Anytime we are stopped for a bit we will have him out of the seat but walking from one spot tto another he'll be in a stroller of some sort. We are only going to the parks for a few hours in the morning then maybe back for an hour or two in the evening. I was debating on renting a double stroller from apple but unsure what would work best for us. I need a stroller to lean on for support but the double stroller I had purchased to use at home had to be returned as it was too heavy for me to push. We were trying to make do with the strollers we could fit in our car that are light enough for me to push.
Rydalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
HHMcG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
I have a wrap and a carrier but am currently injured with a hernia and sprained tendons in my back so I can't carry him. He is not able to sit up yet on his own. Anytime we are stopped for a bit we will have him out of the seat but walking from one spot tto another he'll be in a stroller of some sort. We are only going to the parks for a few hours in the morning then maybe back for an hour or two in the evening. I was debating on renting a double stroller from apple but unsure what would work best for us. I need a stroller to lean on for support but the double stroller I had purchased to use at home had to be returned as it was too heavy for me to push. We were trying to make do with the strollers we could fit in our car that are light enough for me to push.
Give DH the carrier?!? I have plenty of pics in Disney of my (large) husband sporting the Ergo.

We rented a double stroller from Orlando Stroller Rentals and loved it! It was lightweight to push though it may be too heavy for you to lift in/out of car/ bus with your situation. Can DH take that duty?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
2binak
DVC Owner

At 8 months old, our DD toured WDW in a stroller and used high chairs at the restaraunts. I couldn't imagine having her sit in a carseat for anything more than a car ride at that age. In addition to getting very warm, sitting in a car seat is not good for circulation. Baby's need to stretch & move at least every hour if they need to be confined to the carseat and IMO, touring a theme park doesn't seem like a "need to be confined to a carseat" situation.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
Rydalot
Earning My Ears

Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Rydalot
Earning My Ears

Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a wrap and a carrier but am currently injured with a hernia and sprained tendons in my back so I can't carry him.
Personally, I would still bring the carrier with you so that it's an option available (your DH could wear him. Mine did this past trip, more than I did actually).

Quote:
He is not able to sit up yet on his own. Anytime we are stopped for a bit we will have him out of the seat but walking from one spot tto another he'll be in a stroller of some sort.
My DD still isn't sitting on her own yet either. When she came on to rides with us, one of us held her in our laps. We used the carrier to hold her in line (or DH just held her free-hand). In restaurants, someone usually ended up holding her. We tried a high chair once or twice, stuffing jackets around her, but it didn't work very well. We were allowed to bring the stroller into a CS once or twice when the crowds weren't high, but most of the time we had to park the stroller and bring her in without it.

Quote:
We were trying to make do with the strollers we could fit in our car that are light enough for me to push.
I haven't pushed the City Mini Double, but the City Mini Single is extremely easy to push. Easier than my snap and go. It's much easier to fold as well, which is a blessing on the buses! With DD in it, I have no problems pushing it one handed and accurately pointing it where I want to go. I would imagine the City Mini Double is similar. If you have any doubts about renting it, I'm sure you could check out the push at a Babies R Us or a Buy Buy Baby around you before deciding to rent it or not.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot
The strollers have 5 point harnesses for babies who can't sit up yet. I would not keep him in the carseat.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, I'm sorry if I sounded *****y in my 1st post, lol. You obviously can't use a carrier then. How about hubby? My hubby can't for long periods because he has bad shoulders due to previous surgeries. If a stroller is the only option....how about just using the stroller without the carseat? The baby will be able to see a lot more than being in the carseat and only having limited views. If renting one works, I've rented from magic strollers and kingdom strollers and both times had a great experience.
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
2binak
DVC Owner

Quote:
I'm sorry about the injuries. I have back issues too. I still think a stroller with a 5-point harness would be the best option. The baby can sit up or stretch out & lay down as needed. The City Mini's that are available for rent from offsite have the harness and are really easy to push.
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Does you little one have special needs? Most little ones are sitting up by 8mo and my oldest was not due to being very premature. One thing the doctor told us was to only use the seat when really necessary as it does nothing to help strengthen those mussels needed to sit up. Depending on his abilities, a regular stroller still may be best. Get him out every chance you have. Let DH carry him or wear his as much as possible. I agree that babies crave and need that touch and stimulation.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #29
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

The BJCM is an awesome stroller and very easy to push. I would definately get that and you can recline the seat as much as your baby needs. At 8 mos your little one should be able to sit with support and the BJCM has lots of reclining postitions. You would definately find one to fit baby's needs. The stroller handle height is nice and tall too. No bending over to push. My DH is 6'2" and I am 5'2" and it fits us both nicely. It also has an incredibly easy fold and awesome sunshades. I would definately rent one.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #30
brooke789
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to say that my son has always been totally 'normal' but he didn't sit until 11 months. That was completely in the normal range. He didn't walk until 18M. That may be later than your child did it, but it does not mean a special needs child. There is a range of what is 'normal' for these developments.
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: