Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Rydalot
Earning My Ears

Infant car seat on rides

My kids will be 35 months and 8 months when we visit Disney next month. I am used to keeping my youngest in his car seat carrier whenever we go shopping to a restaurant etc. and have a stroller that only a car seat can clip into (no other seat options...just a frame with a basket under it). We were going to have the youngest in that since it has an awesome canopy that pulls out from the handle to the top of his carrier, keeping him well shaded. For my older son we were going to use a little umbrella stroller. My question is can my youngest be carried onto any rides in his car seat or will he always have to be removed? I'm picturing a scenario where say we are about to get on 'It's a small world' and my youngest just falls asleep. I would hate to disturb him, which is what I would do if I undid all his straps and lifted him out. If car seats were allowed and fit on some of these little rides I would carry him on and he would probably sleep through the whole thing. If not, I guess I would then have my husband go with our older son and then do the child swap thing so I could have a turn riding with him. If my youngest son is sleeping and there are things we can go on with him in the car seat, those would be the rides I would probably gravitate to. How about shows like 'country bears jamboree' and things like that? Can a stroller or a car seat be brought in there?
Rydalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

You'll have to take him out on all rides. I think its really a safety issue. There is no room on all the rides for a giant infant car seat. Why not just use a carrier? And they only have rider swap for the rides with height restrictions so that scenario would not work on a ride like Its a Small World. Also, strollers aren't allowed in shows. We occasionally would take our stroller into a counter service restaurant if it was basically empty, but I bet during high crowd times, they probably won't let you. Sit down restaurants don't usually let you either because there is no room at the tables for a stroller.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
My kids will be 35 months and 8 months when we visit Disney next month. I am used to keeping my youngest in his car seat carrier whenever we go shopping to a restaurant etc. and have a stroller that only a car seat can clip into (no other seat options...just a frame with a basket under it). We were going to have the youngest in that since it has an awesome canopy that pulls out from the handle to the top of his carrier, keeping him well shaded. For my older son we were going to use a little umbrella stroller. My question is can my youngest be carried onto any rides in his car seat or will he always have to be removed? I'm picturing a scenario where say we are about to get on 'It's a small world' and my youngest just falls asleep. I would hate to disturb him, which is what I would do if I undid all his straps and lifted him out. If car seats were allowed and fit on some of these little rides I would carry him on and he would probably sleep through the whole thing. If not, I guess I would then have my husband go with our older son and then do the child swap thing so I could have a turn riding with him. If my youngest son is sleeping and there are things we can go on with him in the car seat, those would be the rides I would probably gravitate to. How about shows like 'country bears jamboree' and things like that? Can a stroller or a car seat be brought in there?
I dont think you are going to be able to take a car seat on the rides. I have never seen any in all my years of going. The car seats are great for running into stores, grocery shopping, etc., but not a great idea for a long day and week at the parks.
I would invest or borrow a carrier and use that for standing in lines. I also think that if you are going to be there for a week or so, that being in that carseat for that long wont be good for your infant. There are lots of great rental sites where you can get a Baby Jogger City Mini (which has an awesome canopy). We own one for our WDW stroller and love it. There should be a link at the top of the page (Orlando Stroller Rentals). The WDW strollers wouldnt be an option for an 8 mo old. I think applescotters.com was having a special for like $5 or $6 a day. Great deal!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I wore my son a lot on his first trip at 10 months. At 8 months he wanted to sit up a lot so he wouldn't have been comfortable in that infant carrier going around Disney. I rented a City Mini stroller that trip and he spent time in that too. I could wear him on rides that didn't have a lap bar. He actually woke up on Small World, his first ride, in his carrier. For rides with a lap bar like Pooh, it was a bit tighter. The Ergo carrier was wonderful.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't keep the baby in the carseat all day. Can you imagine how uncomfy that would be? My babies would have wanted to sit up and see people. I would buy a dif stroller or rent one. There is no room on rides for the baby buckets.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I have not know any 8 month old who would happily sit in a car seat all day. Not only would it be very uncomfortable, it could get really hot. Use a stroller or carrier.

No car seats on the rides.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
SpartanMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
I wouldn't keep the baby in the carseat all day. Can you imagine how uncomfy that would be? My babies would have wanted to sit up and see people. I would buy a dif stroller or rent one. There is no room on rides for the baby buckets.
Totally agree! I try to limit the time my DD (almost 7 months) spends in her car seat. I would definitely buy/rent a stroller!

If the canopy/sunshade is one of the reasons you want to use the car seat- check out UppaBaby. I have the Vista (full stroller) and their G-LUXE umbrella stroller. Both have large 50+UV rated pull down canopies that are awesome at keeping DD in the shade.
1999 - Disneyland
2006 - Mom's Birthday at ASM
2008 - Quick Family Trip

Planning:
Winter 2015- DD's First WDW Princess Trip! FW Cabins
Winter 2016- Mom's Birthday Bash?
SpartanMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Sorry, I'm strongly against keeping babies in their carseats for convenience. It's a carseat and belongs in a car. Babies crave to be held and close to their parents...it's where they feel safe, not in a hard cold car seat. You can't take the carseat on a ride. My suggestion....either carry your baby or invest in a carrier/wrap. Trust me....it's much easier than carrying around a carseat! With my 1st, I knew nothing of baby wearing but luckily discovered a sling when I had my 2nd. It truly makes life so much easier and it's better for the baby.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry, but seeing babies in car seats at WDW makes me want to cry. That isn't a good position for a baby to be in. It's necessary in the car, but otherwise, babies need to be able to move and not have their head laying flat on something hard. Please get a regular stroller and/or a baby carrier (like an Ergo or sling of some sort) so that the baby can move around during the day. It's especially important when the weather is warm, like it will be during your trip.

A baby carrier or sling is the optimal way to carry a baby at WDW, if the baby likes it. You can use it in the lines and on the rides, so the baby isn't as heavy while you're waiting in line, and when he falls asleep, there's no need to move him around. It's nice to have a stroller too, though, because most babies won't want to be in a carrier all day long, and most parents will want to have a little time not wearing the carrier.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

WE were just there with our 8 month old about 2 weeks ago, and there's no way I would have kept her in a car seat all day. We brought it with us for use in the rental car, but that's it. We didn't even bring her snap n go with us. We rented a City Mini from Kingdom Strollers (we have a CM at home as well, but didn't want to cart it through the airport) - it was great! She enjoyed being able to sit up in it, and she slept in it very well (after we learned to clip a blanket over when she was tired so she would actually go to sleep instead of staying awake because there was so much to look at!)

we also brought our Beco Gemini carrier. We didn't use it quite as much as I think I would have had my mom not been along (she's not really a babywearing fan, and always thinks DD is uncomfortable when she's not), but it was still great. we could feed her in the carrier while walking from one land to another, stand in line with her more easily than just holding her, and she got to see a bit more of the world.

Check to see if there's a Babywearing International chapter near you. The one by me has a lending library, and if you become a member for the year, you get to borrow carriers for one month at a time. That's how we decided we liked the Beco the best. We tried out quite a few types of carriers before settling on buying the Beco

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
firsttimer4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA
You'll have to take him out on all rides. I think its really a safety issue. There is no room on all the rides for a giant infant car seat. Why not just use a carrier? And they only have rider swap for the rides with height restrictions so that scenario would not work on a ride like Its a Small World. Also, strollers aren't allowed in shows. We occasionally would take our stroller into a counter service restaurant if it was basically empty, but I bet during high crowd times, they probably won't let you. Sit down restaurants don't usually let you either because there is no room at the tables for a stroller.
This I kinda off topic, but figured I'd ask. We rented a stroller for our 5 & 3 yr old for our upcoming trip. What do you do with it while you go in somewhere to eat?

ME DH DS (6) DD (4)
firsttimer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
Car seats are not allowed on the rides, sorry.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer4 View Post

This I kinda off topic, but figured I'd ask. We rented a stroller for our 5 & 3 yr old for our upcoming trip. What do you do with it while you go in somewhere to eat?
Just like on a ride the stroller gets left in that ride or restaurants stroller parking.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
sweetcreams
Mouseketeer

Yay to all the baby-wearing mommas on this thread! I'm in agreement. I used a sling for a long time when my kids were little and it was much easier at the parks. Plus it helped me feel that the baby was more secure on rides like Peter Pan, where the baby could squirm. It also brings the baby up to eye level where he can see so much more! If you haven't used a carrier or sling before, do some research to see which one might work for you, then give it a few trial runs so you can be sure it will work for you. A lot of people say carriers or slings are uncomfortable, but I think they just haven't found the right one...took a couple tries for us with our first baby.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Also as a heads up if the parks are crowded you will not be able to take your stroller with you all the time. During heavy crowds you are asked to park your stroller in the areas stroller parking and either carry your kids or have them walk. Not everyone listens but I know I have seen the CMs asking for strollers to be parked while you explore during the summer months.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: