Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
PoohbearMama
Earning My Ears

Magic Bands Mentioned in Online Check In Terms

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but I am checking in at the end of May and in my terms it mentions Magic Bands. This is exciting because we would love to be able to use them when we go at the end of May. I cannot figure out how to post a screenshot of it. Nonetheless it did make my heart go pitter patter with excitement.
PoohbearMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Ts and Cs often umbrella everything you might potentially encounter, but are not necessarily a reflection on what you will encounter. These were probably written knowing that at minimum certain resorts would be piloting these this year.

That said, I hope you get to use them, becuase it raises my odds in October if you do
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the post. REALLY hoping to be able to use these in August. It would be even better if we could get them with out packet and wear them when we get to FL. Not sure why I think it's really cool, I must be a geek.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Thanks for the post. REALLY hoping to be able to use these in August. It would be even better if we could get them with out packet and wear them when we get to FL. Not sure why I think it's really cool, I must be a geek.
As the RFID must be encoded, just like key to the world cards, I expect they will only be available upon checkin.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohbearMama View Post
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but I am checking in at the end of May and in my terms it mentions Magic Bands. This is exciting because we would love to be able to use them when we go at the end of May. I cannot figure out how to post a screenshot of it. Nonetheless it did make my heart go pitter patter with excitement.
~LOL. I'm wishing right along with you!

Quote:
~LOL. I don't know why I love them, either. But, I want one badly! Who knows when these things will finally be released!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me too!

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post

As the RFID must be encoded, just like key to the world cards, I expect they will only be available upon checkin.
RFID is different then the magnetic strip on the back of a card. The bands will have a unique ID encoded during manufacturing. That ID will then be tied to a guests portfolio which can be done at check-in or in advance.

There is documentation floating around that states if you order a customized magic band that it will be mailed to you prior to your trip. In theory this would allow you to do online check in and skip the front desk all together.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
floridajen
Annual Passholder

I noticed that the card readers in the park say something like " tap card or band"

floridajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
jenvandyne
Earning My Ears

Magic Band Question

When I called about my July reservation today. I asked about putting my two year olds name on the room because we have decided to take him. She says yes put his name so he will get his wristband. She mentioned we will need it to enter pools and different areas of the hotel. So it sounds like it will be there in July.
jenvandyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
dbennett3899
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvandyne View Post
When I called about my July reservation today. I asked about putting my two year olds name on the room because we have decided to take him. She says yes put his name so he will get his wristband. She mentioned we will need it to enter pools and different areas of the hotel. So it sounds like it will be there in July.
Which resort? Sounds like AOA?
dbennett3899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

We'll be there in September and I really hope we get to use the magic bands.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
robmag
Earning My Ears

Does anybody know which resort is currently using the magic bands?
robmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmag View Post
Does anybody know which resort is currently using the magic bands?
None.
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
RFID is different then the magnetic strip on the back of a card. The bands will have a unique ID encoded during manufacturing. That ID will then be tied to a guests portfolio which can be done at check-in or in advance.

There is documentation floating around that states if you order a customized magic band that it will be mailed to you prior to your trip. In theory this would allow you to do online check in and skip the front desk all together.
~Wow. I hadn't thought of that. But, you're right -- in theory, you could skip the front desk. I know that would never happen, but it could help to streamline the check in process -- even more. I remember the first time I used online check in, it was a mess. We were staying Poly CL, there was no golf cart, no one waiting to greet us. We had to ask valet and they told us to just go to the regular check in desk. It actually took twice as long to check in! By the next year, Disney worked out all of the kinks and now, I love online check in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvandyne View Post
~Thanks for the update! I hope you get to use them. I have always predicted this to come much later in the year or early next year -- I hope I'm wrong. Wristbands or not, I hope you have a fabulous trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
We'll be there in September and I really hope we get to use the magic bands.
~I hope you get to use them, too! Anyway, have a great trip!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Wow. I hadn't thought of that. But, you're right -- in theory, you could skip the front desk. I know that would never happen, but it could help to streamline the check in process -- even more. I remember the first time I used online check in, it was a mess. We were staying Poly CL, there was no golf cart, no one waiting to greet us. We had to ask valet and they told us to just go to the regular check in desk. It actually took twice as long to check in! By the next year, Disney worked out all of the kinks and now, I love online check in.
Actually, I would bet on it happening. Once the system is in place this would allow Disney to staff less people behind the checkin desk and save money. It might not happen this year, or even next, but once they get the base work of the new system up and running then they will start branching out and figuring out how to make back there original investment.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: