DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #31
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
It is my understand that the FP+ system will work like this:

1) Just like it does now, except with an RFID card/bracelet vice your paper ticket. You can collect one fastpass at a time until your ride window or two hours after this one.

2) In addition to the above, select guests are able to reserve a fastpass time to certain attractions, parades, fireworks, and other events prior to vacation arrival. Of course if a guests choose a Space Mountain fastpass for 10:15am, then that one ticket is removed from the availability queue, but otherwise this has no other effect on the current FP distribution system.

I will look for the documentation for this online, but this is my understanding how the system is supposed to work. As such, the OP may run around like a crazy person if they desire and have the relatively same outcome. However, I would recommend taking advantage of the reservations and getting that SM fastpass before arriving at the park, so a trip to Frontierland is all that's needed to start the touring and no double tracking.
This is my understanding of it as well.

To the OP---Who said that they're getting rid of the regular FPs? Was that announced somewhere? The only discussion I had seen was that FP+ would cut into the regular allotment of FP-passes. Does someone have a link to where they said that regular FP machines are going to be retired?

My understanding is that FP+ "guarantees" you a pre-chosen slot in the more major attractions/fireworks/parades, as an added perk to the regular FP program. I don't think this is a bad idea at all if they're NOT eliminating the regular FP program. If my ADR is at Be our guest at 8pm, and I can reserve (for example) Voyage of the Little Mermaid at 7pm and a reserved area to view fireworks at 10pm, doesn't that make my day alot easier and decreases the "stress" of having to hit all the things I want to see? It also decreases my running around. I'm not sure why this is a bad idea. Someone explain that to me.

Also---if they keep the regular FP program and FP+ is an additional perk, can't you simply choose not to use it if you don't like it? What's the big deal?

Last edited by lilpooh108; 03-28-2013 at 02:36 AM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #32
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

To the OP---Who said that they're getting rid of the regular FPs? Was that announced somewhere? The only discussion I had seen was that FP+ would cut into the regular allotment of FP-passes. Does someone have a link to where they said that regular FP machines are going to be retired?
I don't have a link handy but it's been reported pretty far and wide that the paper ticket machines will be discontinued when FP+ is fully rolled-out. They aren't spending all of this money on the RFID-enabled system, only to continue running two nearly identical systems in tandem for years to come.

What they COULD do is allow people to make the three advance reservations and still get more electronic FPs after entering the park. However, the FP+ advance reservations will be available to all Passholders and guests staying in nearly 30,000 Disney-owned hotel rooms and villas. Making some assumptions about average occupancy, you're probably looking at 75,000+ hotel guests alone who will be eligible to claim 3 FPs each before the gates even open.

I have my doubts as to whether Disney would allow people to claim the 3 FPs in advance--over 200,000 FPs across the four parks--and then start collecting even more at 9:01am. But admittedly it could go either way.

Disney has had opportunity to clarify their plans but they haven't commented either way. The Parks Blog announcement touts the ability to keep families together in the parks (no more running from machine-to-machine collecting tickets) by reserving in advance, but at no time does it state that you'll be able to secure additional ride times once inside the park.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #33
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

My understanding is that FP+ "guarantees" you a pre-chosen slot in the more major attractions/fireworks/parades, as an added perk to the regular FP program. I don't think this is a bad idea at all if they're NOT eliminating the regular FP program. If my ADR is at Be our guest at 8pm, and I can reserve (for example) Voyage of the Little Mermaid at 7pm and a reserved area to view fireworks at 10pm, doesn't that make my day alot easier and decreases the "stress" of having to hit all the things I want to see? It also decreases my running around. I'm not sure why this is a bad idea. Someone explain that to me.

Also---if they keep the regular FP program and FP+ is an additional perk, can't you simply choose not to use it if you don't like it? What's the big deal?
They are not changing the old machines to work with RFID. There are a bunch of threads on the Theme Park board that list why the regular FP system is going away. I think it's pretty much guaranteed.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

So, people staying off site cannot get fastpasses? I do not stay off site, but I know people who do, and I would like to have a discussion with them about what they could do. Or is this something that hasn't been mentioned at all?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #35
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
So, people staying off site cannot get fastpasses? I do not stay off site, but I know people who do, and I would like to have a discussion with them about what they could do. Or is this something that hasn't been mentioned at all?
People staying off site cannot secure their ride times prior to arrival in the parks. They still will have access to Fastpass, but not until they are physically inside the gates. And with Disney resort guests and Passholders able to schedule in advance, it remains to be seen exactly what options will remain when the parks open.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #36
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
People staying off site cannot secure their ride times prior to arrival in the parks. They still will have access to Fastpass, but not until they are physically inside the gates. And with Disney resort guests and Passholders able to schedule in advance, it remains to be seen exactly what options will remain when the parks open.
not sure how you can state that "people staying offiste cannot secure their ride times" when everywhere i have read, it will be available to all guests. either way, no one knows exactly how it will work yet people are spreading these rumors like they have an inside with Disney.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
not sure how you can state that "people staying offiste cannot secure their ride times" when everywhere i have read, it will be available to all guests. either way, no one knows exactly how it will work yet people are spreading these rumors like they have an inside with Disney.
You did not quote my entire sentence. What I said was: "People staying off site cannot secure their ride times prior to arrival in the parks."

This is a very well known aspect of FP+. If you have a confirmed Disney hotel reservation OR are a Passholder, you will be able to use the My Disney Experience / My Magic+ web apps to schedule FP+ ride times up to 60 days prior to arrival.

Day guests--those with no AP or Disney reservation--will have no access to FP+ until they enter the park gates. Once inside the park they will be able to use smartphone apps (using GPS locators) or FP+ terminals in the parks to obtain their ride times.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You did not quote my entire sentence. What I said was: "People staying off site cannot secure their ride times prior to arrival in the parks."

This is a very well known aspect of FP+. If you have a confirmed Disney hotel reservation OR are a Passholder, you will be able to use the My Disney Experience / My Magic+ web apps to schedule FP+ ride times up to 60 days prior to arrival.

Day guests--those with no AP or Disney reservation--will have no access to FP+ until they enter the park gates. Once inside the park they will be able to use smartphone apps (using GPS locators) or FP+ terminals in the parks to obtain their ride times.
The Disney Park Experience Terms & Conditions says the following in the Disney FastPass+ Section:
Quote:
Magic Your Way ticket holders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets or passholders.
It does not state that the MYW ticket holder has to be a WDW Resort Guest.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...onditions.html
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #39
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
The Disney Park Experience Terms & Conditions says the following in the Disney FastPass+ Section:

It does not state that the MYW ticket holder has to be a WDW Resort Guest.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...onditions.html
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

That's not consistent with what I have been reading all along but I guess time will tell.

How would Disney ever dole-out FP+ reservations fairly if they allow guests to make those reservations without any sort of gatekeeper? Once the system is live, what's to keep me from locking in times on TSM and Soarin 60 days out, without really having any firm plans to visit on those dates?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #40
JaimeA
Mouseketeer

Quote:

How would Disney ever dole-out FP+ reservations fairly if they allow guests to make those reservations without any sort of gatekeeper? Once the system is live, what's to keep me from locking in times on TSM and Soarin 60 days out, without really having any firm plans to visit on those dates?
That is a great question. I wonder if there will be a $10 no show charge

I really hope some more information is coming soon because I don't believe all the pieces fit yet. So many what ifs...

JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #41
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

FP+ may lead to selling of points.

I don't plan my Disney trips months in advance.

What's next "Welcome to WDW, since you failed to book your rides and meals 180 days in advance you are welcome to visit our gift shops and our counter service restaurants"

I am watching, but this change may be the "straw that breaks the camel's back"

The offsite has me concerned too. I didn't buy an AP just to be told "you can't do anything because you aren't overpaying for our hotel rooms" (If you want me to stay onsite Disney start providing better value. Charging $400 a night for 3 star hotel that's not as nice as my local Marriott is not "value" LOL!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Very interesting thread...

We are big PH's but under this new system I see that ending if you are limited to FP+ in only one park. More important to us is the only one FP+ per attraction. Sometimes we go to HS just to ride TSM several times. Under this new system there wouldn't be a point for us to even go to HS.

I do see the positives of FP+ and being able to reserve things in advance but there is a lot to be worked out. There are huge differences in how this could work depending on the park. In the MK there are so many rides to FP how is 3 going to be enough? In AK I could see us just using FP+ for the safari and then it would be great since you wouldn't have to get there for RD.

I love the idea of the wristbands. At my workplace we use RFID in our security badges to enter the building, pay for lunch and starbucks, etc. It is very nice to not have to carry around extra things.

We are going in October so it is going to be interesting to see what is rolled out by then.
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
Shellandscott
Earning My Ears

This is an article found on WDWmagic ( my comments are in blue)

A huge area of discussion on the WDWMAGIC forums has centered on how many FASTPASS+ experiences and attractions can be made. According to Cast Members who have been briefed on the system earlier this week, on launch of FASTPASS+, a guest will be able to choose up to a maximum of 3 FASTPASS+ experiences at one park per day. The number of attractions offering FASTPASS+ has been greatly expanded over the current FASTPASS system, with over 60 rides, shows, parades, and meet and greets now being included in FASTPASS+.

Guests will be able to select FASTPASS+ experiences before arrival, or on the day of. Changes can be made at anytime to an unredeemed FASTPASS+, even once the FASTPASS+ arrival window begins. This is where I am thinking once you get your 3 you are done for the day. Yes you can get one at the park the day of but you will need to cancel one you currently have reserved.

A great feature of FASTPASS+ is the ability for the My Disney Experience smartphone app to notify FASTPASS+ holders in the event of an attraction being temporarily unavailable. This gives advance notice to the guest, and prevents them arriving at the attraction only to find it is closed. In this event, the system can suggest an alternative. The guest also has the option to opt out of notifications. This makes me think that if your ride goes down during your FP+ time window and the rest of the day is booked you will loose out on that ride. No come back later when it is open. :-(

Just do not see how this is an improvement over the current system.

Numerous trips from 1973-1992
January 1999 - POFQ, May 2000 - & February 2004 - Offsite, August 2004 - BCV, January 2005 - SSR, May 2005 Hawaii (II), January 2006 - VWL, July 2006 - OKW, January 2007 Vegas (II), October 2007 - BCV, January 2008 - GF, May 2008 - VWL, Sept 2009 - BCV, May 2010 - VGC, May 2011 - SSR & BLT , May 2012 - VB, October 2012 - VGC, May 2013- BCV & VB, Dec 2013- OKW, Jan 2014 - BLT & SSR, May 2014 VGF

Dream May 2011
Shellandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #44
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't have a link handy but it's been reported pretty far and wide that the paper ticket machines will be discontinued when FP+ is fully rolled-out. They aren't spending all of this money on the RFID-enabled system, only to continue running two nearly identical systems in tandem for years to come.

What they COULD do is allow people to make the three advance reservations and still get more electronic FPs after entering the park. However, the FP+ advance reservations will be available to all Passholders and guests staying in nearly 30,000 Disney-owned hotel rooms and villas. Making some assumptions about average occupancy, you're probably looking at 75,000+ hotel guests alone who will be eligible to claim 3 FPs each before the gates even open.

I have my doubts as to whether Disney would allow people to claim the 3 FPs in advance--over 200,000 FPs across the four parks--and then start collecting even more at 9:01am. But admittedly it could go either way.

Disney has had opportunity to clarify their plans but they haven't commented either way. The Parks Blog announcement touts the ability to keep families together in the parks (no more running from machine-to-machine collecting tickets) by reserving in advance, but at no time does it state that you'll be able to secure additional ride times once inside the park.
Hmmm. Ok.

But even if the paper FPs go away, if you're still allowed to get electronic FPs after park entry at the terminals or on your phone app, then there's no effective difference, other than the fact that FPs have been previously allotted to WDW onsite guests right? In other words, the paper FP machines are being retired, but in-park FPs are being replaced w/electronic FPs assigned to your RFID band. (I'm guessing, here.)

It seems that I'm in the minority of people who wouldn't mind having FPs scheduled in advance. Crossing the park is exhausting to us. We usually do EMH until 2am and get in all of our rides w/o FPs. We use the day time hours to do shows, dining and *gasp* stand by lines.

I read an Al Lutz article about how FP+ would negatively affect AP holders at DLR (this includes us), since most locals/AP holders don't schedule anything in advance. We're 20 minutes from DLR and go at least weekly. I never get FPs anyway, but it would be interesting to see what rides I'm effective "barred" from at DLR once this is implemented. I'm guessing: RSR, Indy & Space.

So with that perspective in mind, I can see how a WDW AP holder (or a local) might be at a disadvantage at WDW. We're from CA, so we plan our WDW months in advance.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 03-28-2013 at 01:41 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #45
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellandscott View Post
At this point being a DVC member for almost 10 years and using the fastpass system with great efficiency, I am bothered by what I have read in some other places. I have heard rumors that are bothering me.
At current let use this as an example, if DH & I show up at Magic Kingdom at 9am for opening we get on the train and ride to Fronterland get off and get a BTMR FP for 10:20am-11:20am, we walk around maybe ride Haunted Mansion and small world making our way over to Space Mountain at 10:30am, we can now get a FP for that ride to come back at noon. We hightail it back to thunder mountain in our timefame. Now we head over to pirates and do some rides over there. Head over to Splash at 12:05pm and get a FP there for 4:00pm. Head back to Space Mtn in our hour. It is now 12:45pm and we go to lunch and then some more rides or since we have time to burn we head to Epcot by double monorail because we can get another FP at 2:05 or 3:05 depending on the time on the ticket. We go to Land and get a Soarin' FP for 8:30pm, ride Nemo or Figment and head back over to MK for our 4-5 FP for Splash. It is a lot of walking but we hit a lot of major rides and it is only 5pm and still have Soarin' left to ride before the end of the night.

From what I can tell FP+ will enable us to make FP plans ahead of time for only 1 of the mountains and is only good at one park per day. But can I still use my AP like people staying off property as I did in my example?

If the rumor of not being able to still use the fast pass system is true. FP+ sucks. Just looking for some input from what all of you have heard.
The boards will be priceless as this rolls out. Really lucky to have it.

Couple thoughts for you since nothing is for sure yet.

You may find you can "reserve" EPCOT for the afternoon (or eve)-and still open MK and get most of your list done, then hop to EPCOT. It's unsure how the lines will be with AM FP+ holders actually arriving or not. Also many folks holding later day FP+ may not show at all until later since there is no hurry. Where with the old FP they had to hurry or miss out. It's also not for sure that even if you reserve the 3 FP+ at EPCOT-that arriving at MK may allow you to reserve FP+ at MK on the fly. I suppose it depends on availability-but the system could handle the transactions. Heck they may allow you to "exchange" your 3 choices for 3 Space Mt passes (or TSM) if avail and you want that.

Furthermore-it does say a max of 3 and that you can make changes to those 3-but it really doesn't say at any time they "could" allow more on any given day if the system shows availability.

Hopping could end up being very important (and if they want to sell that upcharge they should make it attractive) with some feeling "limited" at a park with 3 FP+.

Of course my response is on the positive IMO-but who really knows.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: