Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

WDW to DCL and back

I'm planning a Disney cruise trip next spring, sandwiched between a couple of days at WDW. Does anyone know if there is there a good way to get from the world to Port Canaveral and back? Or do I just need to plan to rent a car one-way each time?

Thanks
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake , Spring Break '15 DisneyLand Grand Californian

dayvewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I have used a car service in the past, but that was with a group of friends. It was about $230, r/t....plus tip.
I actually prefer to rent a car. Many times I have found it to be cheaper (or just a bit more) to rent the car and leave it parked at port vs renting for the drive there, returning the car and shuttling back to the ship, and then reversing it upon disembarkation.
I like being able to get out of the car, cross the street, board the ship. Then, get off the ship, cross the street and get into my car and head back to WDW.
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvewc View Post
I'm planning a Disney cruise trip next spring, sandwiched between a couple of days at WDW. Does anyone know if there is there a good way to get from the world to Port Canaveral and back? Or do I just need to plan to rent a car one-way each time?

Thanks
You can book transportation with Disney. It cost $35 per person, per each way. We always rent a car because at $70 RT per person, it does get expensive if you have a family. There are rental companies near the port. Since we stay at WDW after the cruise, we keep our rental the entire time and pay to park at the Port. Often it's been cheaper for us by renting long term vs 2 one ways.

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I have used a car service in the past, but that was with a group of friends. It was about $230, r/t....plus tip.
I actually prefer to rent a car. Many times I have found it to be cheaper (or just a bit more) to rent the car and leave it parked at port vs renting for the drive there, returning the car and shuttling back to the ship, and then reversing it upon disembarkation.
I like being able to get out of the car, cross the street, board the ship. Then, get off the ship, cross the street and get into my car and head back to WDW.
Ditto - for our last 3 day cruise, it was cheaper to rent a car for 6 days and park it at port than to rent them separately. Check and compare prices though as things change.

Just don't get lost at Port! I researched and read stuff like crazy....but didn't read (or bring!) my cruise docs and when we got there had no idea which terminal to go to and we ended up at the wrong one. (There was likely a single sign - and we missed seeing it as I was too busy taking pics of the ship LOL!). Added an annoying 5-10mins to our trip and a boatload of stress trying to figure out where to go. When we got there we were so anxious to get on the ship that we skipped the cheap $20 offsite parking and dished out $60 to park at port. *sigh*
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
...Many times I have found it to be cheaper (or just a bit more) to rent the car and leave it parked at port vs renting for the drive there, returning the car and shuttling back to the ship, and then reversing it upon disembarkation.
This has been my experience as well, but check all your options.

The other nice thing having the same car at the port when you get back from the cruise is that you can leave stuff in the car during the cruise...like laundry, souvenirs, etc. from the first leg of the trip.

Although we didn't do it, you could also look into staying the night before at a "stay and cruise" hotel near the port.

Last edited by richmo; 03-27-2013 at 12:57 PM.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

We always do the one way rentals with Budget. Cost about $40 including gas for a one day rental. Budget at the port has 3 shuttle vans that will take you for free to the ship and then pick you up after the cruise.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dcl, transportation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: